Apoe4 Gundry List of Foods

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Apoe4 Gundry List of Foods

Post by Tincup »

To minimize probability of being in transit over the weekend, I ask and Sharron kindly ships our olive oil orders on Monday.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

floramaria wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:56 am
The point of olive oil is polyphenols.

These are a concentrated source of EVOO polyphenols from Morocco. Gundry told us he met with the owner and I think they supply his Gundry branded EVOO & pearls. Producer's site. Atlas Olive Oils makes the pearls as well as EVOO. Here is their site. Because of the desert environment, they have high polyphenols.

We've gotten some very high polyphenol oils through Amphora Nueva’s Sharon Leone (snleone@hotmail.com). Her store is in the Calif Bay area, but she ships all over the US. She also offers our ApoE4.info members a discount. Here is the thread that talks about contacting her. Our last batch (we bought 3 cases of 1/2 gallon growlers) was from Tunisia and had an off the chart level of polyphenols. Same environment as the oils mentioned above. I messaged Sharon a month or so ago and she'd not gotten this year's pressing of the Tunisian then. I need to check back.

Point being with a high polyphenol oil, or the pearls, you can consume much less oil/calories and get the same benefit.
Thanks, Floramaria.

I'll check these out. However, I had an issue with low iron for about a year and a half, with my EX functional medicine doctor (who has taken Bredesen classes, I'm told, but is not certified -- I'll refer to her as Dr. B) insisting I must be bleeding somewhere. Long story short, after what turned out to be unnecessary colonoscopy and endoscopy which showed nothing, and her insisting I take iron supplements for a year and a half with no improvement, I decided to research it myself.

Dr. B would exclaim, "Wow, your antioxidants are off the charts!!!" every time I saw her. I'd smile, but in the back of my mind I was questioning if too much of a good thing could be a bad thing. Finally, I decided to research this and came upon medical sources stating that too many polyphenols can interfere with iron absorption. (I had asked her right off the bat about iron absorption rather than bleeding being the issue and she dismissed it.) So I decided to work with my internist on this. Told her the story and that I was going to cut down the amount of fish oil Dr. B told me to take and eliminate another supplement, Quercenase, she had me on. My internist tested my iron after a month and it had gone up to a normal but low level, then after 3 months it was up more. I made no other changes. All that testing and iron-taking and worry for a year and a half.

So I must be doing fine on polyphenols now with my usual EVOO and diet. Did a recent NutrEval with Genova Diagnostics at a new practice, though they aren't Bredesen-trained and not even aware of him, and it came back with excellent results, no need for change in Antioxidant Support, Mitochondrial Support, Inflammation Support, Reduced Toxic Exposure or Methylation Support. In fact, the RD who works with the DO there said she never sees Omega 3:6 ratios as good as mine.

Given that, would you say the real benefit to me now is that I'd be getting more polyphenols from the brands you suggest with fewer calories? I incorporate 3-4 T. of olive oil daily.

By the way, I'm concerned about Dr. B. She has never looked at my diet, which I track on cronometer.com nor asked what I am eating, except every single appt. stating over and over "cut down on refined carbs." This, when I'm doing fine in low level ketosis, and have determined that I've achieved a measure of metabolic flexibility. I eat very few refined carbs, obviously! Her first go-to is supplements for lab scores not in line, not suggestions on diet. And she now has a partner who IS Bredesen ReCode certified, yet when I wanted to start working with her partner (Apollo wants you to work with a ReCode certified practitioner) she refuses to let me switch. So I left her practice. I'm wondering if someone needs to know this? And P.S. she told me "Gundry's a quack".
Last edited by Jan18 on Wed May 11, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

GadgetDiva wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 pm Re Sharon Leone's high polyphenol EVOO availability...We got our order delivered to FL May 8 roughly. Chitui from Tunisia November 2021 harvest is rated at 969. Not as high as last year but great nevertheless!
Who does these ratings and what exactly do they mean? How does this rating compare to other olive oils? I've been using Lucini lately.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 pm Has anyone found any type of recipe that uses green bananas? If not, why even say green bananas are okay? That's just one minor question I have.
…..control group got a liter of olive oil a week! That's 67 T or 7,973 calories. He said he and his wife got about a liter and a half a week between them or 101 T./ 12,019 calories. Since I have weight to lose, I am limited to about 1300 calories a day. So 3/4 liter (going by his personal consumption) is 858 of my calories have to be in olive oil. Come on.
The point of olive oil is polyphenols.

These are a concentrated source of EVOO polyphenols from Morocco. Gundry told us he met with the owner and I think they supply his Gundry branded EVOO & pearls. Producer's site. Atlas Olive Oils makes the pearls as well as EVOO. Here is their site. Because of the desert environment, they have high polyphenols.

We've gotten some very high polyphenol oils through Amphora Nueva’s Sharon Leone (snleone@hotmail.com). Her store is in the Calif Bay area, but she ships all over the US. She also offers our ApoE4.info members a discount. Here is the thread that talks about contacting her. Our last batch (we bought 3 cases of 1/2 gallon growlers) was from Tunisia and had an off the chart level of polyphenols. Same environment as the oils mentioned above. I messaged Sharon a month or so ago and she'd not gotten this year's pressing of the Tunisian then. I need to check back.

Point being with a high polyphenol oil, or the pearls, you can consume much less oil/calories and get the same benefit.

On green bananas, with the flour, I will sometimes make a "pancake" with millet & flax (I grind both), psyllium and green banana flour. Also spices like cinnamon, vanilla & stevia. I will also make "baked chips" from green bananas or plantains. In fact, making some tonight for my wife, daughter and son-in-law. I peel, slice them, then coat with EVOO, put on a baking sheet and bake for ~20 minutes at 350 deg F (177 C). How much of this you do, depends on your glucose tolerance. As I noted here, if I overdo the carbs, I will do some Zone 2 exercise to bring my glucose back to the 80's mg/dL (~4.5 mmol/L).

Obviously, over consuming calories doesn't make sense. Was recently chatting with a friend who is doing Gundry's version of fasting mimicking diet. Gundry says drop down to 900 calories on the fasting days. Well, my friend only weighs 100 pounds & like you, her daily intake is only a few 100 calories more than that. I referred her to Valter Longo's research and his specifications. Gundry is writing for the masses, with a broad brush. You have to take the concepts and implement what makes sense in your case.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

NF52 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:34 pm A source I have used to avoid having to spend hours each day reading about food is this 2021 article. Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer's Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers One of the co-authors is Dr. Richard Isaacson, who until very recently was head of the Alzheimer's Prevention Center at Cornell Weill Medical Center in NYC (He's moved to a position in Florida.)

I appreciate that the authors explain why they make recommendations and where they think the evidence is strongest. Since I know other 4/4 women who eat everything they like in large quantities and have never had to think about losing weight, I assume we're not all identical in our dietary needs! I have met enough functional medicine health coaches to know they can be a great support in making progress towards goals without having to run through burning coals--or hours of articles!
Ordered the book today, thanks, NF52!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:01 pm Who does these ratings and what exactly do they mean? How does this rating compare to other olive oils? I've been using Lucini lately.
In Circular's post here, she says, "I'm wondering if the one Amphora provides is oleocanthal … I think so? The high polyphenol EVOO used had oleocanthal at 412 mg/Kg, a fair amount below some of the highest polyphenol EVOOs many of us are ordering through Amphora." I'm guessing the oil is run through a lab.

I've never asked Sharon. Her website has a general definition, "Polyphenols – Healthful (Antioxidant Substances)
Antioxidant substances that we measure in Extra Virgin Olive Oils. The higher the better! Polyphenols extend the shelf-life of an oil & also determine the “style” in terms of bitterness and pungency. Generally, when an oil has a high polyphenol count (presented in parts per million), it will have more “pepper” or more “bitterness”. Many consider polyphenols to be free-radical “scavengers”."
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:46 pm

In Circular's post here, she says, "I'm wondering if the one Amphora provides is oleocanthal … I think so? The high polyphenol EVOO used had oleocanthal at 412 mg/Kg, a fair amount below some of the highest polyphenol EVOOs many of us are ordering through Amphora." I'm guessing the oil is run through a lab.

I've never asked Sharon. Her website has a general definition, "Polyphenols – Healthful (Antioxidant Substances)
Antioxidant substances that we measure in Extra Virgin Olive Oils. The higher the better! Polyphenols extend the shelf-life of an oil & also determine the “style” in terms of bitterness and pungency. Generally, when an oil has a high polyphenol count (presented in parts per million), it will have more “pepper” or more “bitterness”. Many consider polyphenols to be free-radical “scavengers”."
Thanks, Tincup!
GadgetDiva
New User
New User

Post by GadgetDiva »

“Thank you!!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Hello, everyone on this thread (and anyone new to it who wants to chime in)!
Well, I am in contact with Sharon and will be ordering some of her high polyphenol olive oil this week. Thank you! I am a tad worried about my iron, though, as my previously-related experience of low iron (despite taking iron supplements) was only remedied by my cutting back on fish oil, as far as I could discern (still used EVOO and ate salmon, etc.) . I was careful to make no other dietary changes. Seemingly reputable studies (including NIH) are all over the internet when you google "can polyphenols interfere with iron absorption". If anyone has something to refute or contribute to that topic, I'd welcome it.

I also got Gundry's Unlocking the Keto Code book and have read it. So I am imagining that my inability to lose more weight (which is needed....to the tune of 25-30 lbs more!) is a result similar to what his patient, Miranda went through....I'll see when I do the labs end of this week for Apollo, which I recently signed on to. My insulin had dropped from 16 (in stages) down to 4.8 the first year or two doing the macros but last January had gone up again to 7.7!!! I was shocked! If it is still up or higher, I am perplexed. I have been keto-glucose testing all along and have figured out when my ketones are highest (usually being between .5--1.0 lately) so I am making ketones, unlike Miranda. And I'm keeping the caloric count between 1100-1400 daily. But I'm stuck....for months and months and months.

Granted, I haven't been able to do much exercise, other than not very briskly walk due to the one knee that still needs a replacement (which I admit I have been postponing because it isn't that bad on a daily basis and I bemoan giving up another whole YEAR for it to heal....the first one was MISERABLE). I have some rotator cuff tears, so haven't tried swimming yet and even upper body exercises I have to be careful of. I have a recumbent and sometimes my knees are okay on it, but sometimes the bad one pays. Believe me, as an athlete in my younger days having gone through a life-changing car accident at 18, I've been frustrated as hell about exercise. Up until recently, I kept switching from one aerobic activity to another (as my injured body could handle) until I was left with water aerobics and biking, both of which I would do 3-5 times a week. My knee surgeon said I was the most motivated patient he has had, because I refused to give up. For years, as certain exercises became too painful, I would accept it (after a bit of whining and anger) and just find another. Then I finally gave up biking when a spring breaker in FL crashed into me and I broke my wrist. I now have osteopenia in my hip and don't think it wise to bike outside anymore, risking a fall again. Hence, the recumbent. (Hey, there comes a time when you have to be really smart about exercise and not end up like Sonny Bono!) But it is an ongoing challenge, getting enough of and the right kind of exercise. Is my lack of more vigorous activity contributing that much to my stalled progress?

Also, Gundry is touting coconut cream/milk and MCT oil and other things I thought were absolutely "no" for us Apoe4's. Is that because he's writing for the general population and we are still to steer clear of those or has he changed his mind? I was overjoyed to see goat and sheep cheese in his new list, as I LOVE cheese and was miserable cutting it out (don't do milk or yogurt) but I DID include an ounce of 100% Greek sheep's milk feta in my eggs! Turns out that was a good thing!

Would love a discussion of his new recommendations and the "uncoupling" theory here or direct me to such a discussion if one exists already on this site.

Thanks!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:42 pm Hello, everyone on this thread (and anyone new to it who wants to chime in)!
My Summary: Unlocking the Keto Code, the point of the book is that ketones signal mitochondrial uncoupling. That is the objective. There are other ways to signal uncoupling including heat & cold stress, increased serum CO2 from breathing techniques, intermittent hypoxia, melatonin & polyphenols. It is like a unified field theory for hormetic stressors.

From the book: "Consider this: What do the following items have in common? Ketones, fermented foods, a 12-plus-hour fast, coffee or tea, MCT oil, vinegar, red wine, turmeric, goat cheese, plunges in ice-cold water, dietary fiber, hot saunas, soybeans, selenium, vitamin D, exposure to red light, vitamin K2. All these items make, or are themselves, signaling molecules that instruct your mitochondria to uncouple. Ketones tell your mitochondria to go into repair mode and keep themselves healthy and functional—as do red wine and infrared light. All these very different influences and substances can activate mitochondrial uncoupling." Gundry, MD, Steven R.. Unlocking the Keto Code (The Plant Paradox) (pp. 50-51). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

On osteopenia. My understanding is you need to stimulate bones with force. They have build a machine to do this safely with people who have a compromised physiology. Read this book. Separately, there are also vibration plate data I will locate and post.

On insulin, my friend Catherine Crofts did her PhD thesis on the late Joseph Kraft MD's data on oral glucose tolerance tests with insulin assay ( A search on posts about Crofts here and Kraft here.there are posts about his and her work on this board). What she told me is that fasting insulin is very pulsatile, so changes a fair amount from moment to moment. So a difference between five and seven may not be that big a deal. Her suggestion was a "stress test," Eat your carbiest meal of the day, then test exactly two hours after finishing. From memory, insulin >50 bad, <30 good and in between needs more testing.

For ApoE4's, Gundry would say MCT oil (especially C8/caprylic acid) is OK. Too much sat fat in the others. He told my 4/4 wife to eat modest amounts of sheep or goat cheese. His exact words can be found in the transcript of the consult linked in this post.

In your circumstance, isometric exercise for strength may be best, as no joint movement. I will try to post more ideas on this later.

On weight loss, there is a link in this post on oxidative priority. Essentially, your body needs to use all other fuels before using body fat. So you want to make sure you are first eating enough protein to cover your needs. While reducing carbs can make you make ketones, so can eating a lot of fat (meaning insulin can still be relatively high and you'll make ketones if you eat enough fat). Hence you may want to also restrict fat (I'm not saying zero, but dialing it back). If you have extra fat to lose, then your body should not consider this starvation. The idea that fat is a free food on keto can be misleading. In this post, the lower part is about engineer Marty Kendall, whose wife is a T1 diabetic. From analyzing her closed loop continuous glucose monitor/insulin pump data he noticed that the fat intake, while not requiring an acute bolus of insulin will increase the insulin requirement over the day. Hopefully I've explained this clearly.

Let me know if I've missed anything or if something needs to be clarified.
Tincup
E3,E4