Interpreting lipid tests Cardio IQ

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
StevenL
Contributor
Contributor

Interpreting lipid tests Cardio IQ

Post by StevenL »

Hello! I have been paying attention to developments in blood lipid testing and risk for a few years and while I had one lipid panel a few years ago (low to moderate risk) I finally got a chance to get a quest Cardio IQ panel while visiting in the us. I have been wanting to get a reading on ldl particles and lpa which are both considered much more specific than the old cholesterol measurements.

I live in Mexico, 64, fit and 3/4

My test came out very very mixed. The ion mobility (Dr Ron Krause) shows high risk but the standard panel looks good and the more universally recommended apoB test (now preferred for particle count over ion mobility due to easier standardization more than improved specificity as I understand it) well, they look good!

Any thoughts from anyone who is up to speed on lipidology?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StevenL on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Interpreting lipid tests Cardio IQ

Post by Tincup »

StevenL wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:58 am Any thoughts from anyone who is up to speed on lipidology?
I'm not a doc, or expert, but the pattern B is not good, likewise the LDL particle size is small. The small particles are more likely to oxidize. Oxidized LDL is the problem, according to my doc, Steven Gundry.
Tincup
E3,E4
StevenL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StevenL »

Thanks. Yes, I see that. I guess the part that I'm really questioning is why all the numbers look right, especially apoB, yet numbers in the ion mobility test seem to come from a different person. Certainly if I had one test but not the other. I'd think I'm in the clear.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

StevenL wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:00 am Thanks. Yes, I see that. I guess the part that I'm really questioning is why all the numbers look right, especially apoB, yet numbers in the ion mobility test seem to come from a different person. Certainly if I had one test but not the other. I'd think I'm in the clear.
Perhaps a retest?
Tincup
E3,E4
StevenL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StevenL »

Yep. Top of my list next time in USA. Cheers.
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

I wouldn't say I'm "up to speed" on lipidology but I have had the Cardio IQ and have some similar results to yours--high particles, high smalls, high peak size, but my total cholesterol and ApoB are high and my pattern is A. (Curious: Can pattern change?) I was really not happy to see ApoB at 112 this Feb., and it motivated me to ditch the coconut milk/MCT. Haven't retested since then and would like to further reduce sat. fat first. (It's mostly the damn coffee creamer. I can't live without the coffee, have needed lots of something creamy in it to cut the acid, don't want any gums or fake crap, so I've moved from coconut milk to A2 half and half and am slowly weaning down, hoping to reach black coffee status within the next month.)
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

anne from california wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:12 pm I wouldn't say I'm "up to speed" on lipidology but I have had the Cardio IQ and have some similar results to yours--high particles, high smalls, high peak size, but my total cholesterol and ApoB are high and my pattern is A. (Curious: Can pattern change?) I was really not happy to see ApoB at 112 this Feb., and it motivated me to ditch the coconut milk/MCT.
Yes, patterns can change with diet as can particle number & number of small dense. I've did a lot of testing in 2014 with LabCorp NMR, which is similar to Quest Cardio IQ (which I've done a small number of). Getting rid of sat fat is the ticket. Though I've not specifically tested, from what Gundry has said, MCT is OK, but coconut oil not. I do use caprylic acid (the C8 version of MCT).
Tincup
E3,E4