More fat sources for calories? Too many nuts?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
sabby123456789
Contributor
Contributor

More fat sources for calories? Too many nuts?

Post by sabby123456789 »

I eat oily fish and an avocado, but I need more calories.

I already get 54 g of protein from the fish that I eat. When I do not eat fish, I eat the same amount of protein from extra lean chicken breasts and supplement with a tablespoon of cod liver oil. My understanding is that too much protein will raise your blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis. Indeed, my glucose can remain at 106 mg/dL even 3.5 hours of eating when I eat twice this amount of protein.

I started eating a lot of walnuts and enjoyed them, but then the APOE4 Wiki said that nuts and seeds should be eaten at moderate levels because omega-6 fats are inflammatory (https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Fats,_Omeg ... A_and_More).

Am I left with taking shots of olive oil or eating several avocados a day for my remaining calories?
Always caring, Sabby, ApoE4/E3
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: More fat sources for calories? Too many nuts?

Post by mike »

sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 pm My understanding is that too much protein will raise your blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis. Indeed, my glucose can remain at 106 mg/dL even 3.5 hours of eating when I eat twice this amount of protein.
I'm curious what your glucose is after 3.5 hours when you eat your normal amount of protein. Also how many Carbs are you consuming? I personally eat very little carbs (~25 g/day) and a lot of protein and glucose does not seem to respond much after the protein. I'm a T2D with a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), and at this level of carbs I find my glucose varies more by time of day, or by level of exercise, than by eating protein and fat.
sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 pm Am I left with taking shots of olive oil or eating several avocados a day for my remaining calories?
Macadamia nuts probably have the best fat/carb ratio. Baked chicharrones have lots of fat and its not fried, so should be better for you. If you are Ok with dairy, then you can get lots from Whole Cream in your coffee. Obviously try to get the best you can afford (organic, pasture raised)
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 pm I started eating a lot of walnuts and enjoyed them, but then the APOE4 Wiki said that nuts and seeds should be eaten at moderate levels because omega-6 fats are inflammatory (https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Fats,_Omeg ... A_and_More).
The final word on omega-6s has yet to be written. Plenty of pretty good research indicates that a diet rich in Omega-6s from nuts and seeds (and maybe even from cooking oil!) is associated with better health outcomes.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newslett ... ega-6-fats

"The AHA reviewers found that eating more omega-6 fats didn't rev up inflammation. Instead, eating more omega-6 fats either reduced markers of inflammation or left them unchanged."
ε4/ε4 (for now).
sabby123456789
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sabby123456789 »

mike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:12 am
sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 pm My understanding is that too much protein will raise your blood sugar and kick you out of ketosis. Indeed, my glucose can remain at 106 mg/dL even 3.5 hours of eating when I eat twice this amount of protein.
I'm curious what your glucose is after 3.5 hours when you eat your normal amount of protein. Also how many Carbs are you consuming? I personally eat very little carbs (~25 g/day) and a lot of protein and glucose does not seem to respond much after the protein. I'm a T2D with a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), and at this level of carbs I find my glucose varies more by time of day, or by level of exercise, than by eating protein and fat.
When I last checked, it was 89 mg/dL. which is a lot less.
mike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:12 am
sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 pm Am I left with taking shots of olive oil or eating several avocados a day for my remaining calories?
Macadamia nuts probably have the best fat/carb ratio. Baked chicharrones have lots of fat and its not fried, so should be better for you. If you are Ok with dairy, then you can get lots from Whole Cream in your coffee. Obviously try to get the best you can afford (organic, pasture raised)
It seems that APOE4s are told not to eat saturated fat, but chicharrones and whole cream seem to be highly saturated?
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

sabby123456789 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:22 am When I last checked, it was 89 mg/dL. which is a lot less.
So 89 is good. How many carbs are you taking with the protein? When mixed, the protein will add to BG. It would be interesting if you tried something pure protein and tested and then also protein + fat and tested.
sabby123456789 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:22 am It seems that APOE4s are told not to eat saturated fat, but chicharrones and whole cream seem to be highly saturated?
I have a hard time with dietary suggestions; there has been too much money involved in the research. There are still non-fat items in grocery stores! They still say don't eat salt. look at the official food pyramid.

There is much debate about saturated fat, both here and elsewhere. Here is a good article.

https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... urated-fat

Each of us are individuals, with different genes. Some have adapted to carbs through various genetic mutations, including ApoE3. Some are better able to deal with wheat, some not. Some are better with dairy, some not. I personally have a broken insulin response to carbs, and can't get my carbs low enough on a Vegetarian diet, so I eat meat and dairy.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
sabby123456789
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sabby123456789 »

mike wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:00 am
sabby123456789 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:22 am When I last checked, it was 89 mg/dL. which is a lot less.
So 89 is good. How many carbs are you taking with the protein? When mixed, the protein will add to BG. It would be interesting if you tried something pure protein and tested and then also protein + fat and tested.
0. I ate no carbs.
mike wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:00 am
sabby123456789 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:22 am It seems that APOE4s are told not to eat saturated fat, but chicharrones and whole cream seem to be highly saturated?
I have a hard time with dietary suggestions; there has been too much money involved in the research. There are still non-fat items in grocery stores! They still say don't eat salt. look at the official food pyramid.

There is much debate about saturated fat, both here and elsewhere. Here is a good article.

https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... urated-fat

Each of us are individuals, with different genes. Some have adapted to carbs through various genetic mutations, including ApoE3. Some are better able to deal with wheat, some not. Some are better with dairy, some not. I personally have a broken insulin response to carbs, and can't get my carbs low enough on a Vegetarian diet, so I eat meat and dairy.
You're right. I cannot eat much eggs because I hyper absorb sterols even though people normally stop absorption once there is enough in the blood stream.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

sabby123456789 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:08 am 0. I ate no carbs.
So you have me stumped. One thing to think about - glucose change is often not a result of eating. Your liver is constantly shuffling stored Glycogen in the liver to glucose in the blood and back again. The amount of Insulin in the blood compared to Glucagon in the blood. These hormones in turn are controlled in the Pancreas by Alpha and Beta cells. It is not fully understood what regulates these cells. I believe that Alpha cells follow a circadian rhythm and start to put out a lot of Glucagon in the early morning, resulting in the liver switching to raising glucose levels. Current science mostly believe that Beta cells respond to changes in glucose levels - releasing more insulin as BG goes up, to the point where glucose gets parked in muscle cells and BG goes down. Beta cells produce insulin. They also store extra insulin into storage, and this is believed to be used for Phase 1 response. I believe that in reality, it is the brain that controls this stored insulin. Beta cells do respond to changes in glucose, but only at small levels - enough to switch the liver, but not enough to park glucose in muscle. The brain measures glucose internally and signals release of stored insulin when needed. If that were the case, your brain's glucose thermostat could be out of whack. Here is a paper that discusses the brain control of the pancreas.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... /full#B285

I believe that I lost my brain-pancreas connection after a microvascular clot in my brainstem 7 years ago. I can no-longer deal with carbs, though I'm able to mostly deal with my low-carb diet - my Dawn Effect is wicked without the brain to say enough...
Sonoma Mike
4/4