New Study Compared Keto to Mediterranean

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New Study Compared Keto to Mediterranean

Post by circular »

The research was done with patients who have pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes. They attempted to use what could be considered healthy versions of both the keto and Mediteranean diets.

Effect of a ketogenic diet versus Mediterranean diet on glycated hemoglobin in individuals with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes mellitus: The interventional Keto-Med randomized crossover trial

The data is available from the authors. I hope someone (not necessarily from here but that would be great too!) will examine the data and publish additional analyses that may not be in the paper (which I haven't even read yet, but I read the summary at CNN).

I have found that for now I am doing much better—overall—on a "Mediterranean diet" (including legumes and grains that are pressure cooked as well as animal products) than I was on a keto diet. I find it interesting that I tolerate these kinds of foods (legumes and grains) much better now than I did in the past, so it could be that staying away from them for a long time, along with other variables, has healed my gut and now I can better utilize the nutritional upside of these foods. But honestly, there are so many variables in lifestyle and experiences over time, that it's impossible for me to make any reliable declarative statements about what inputs cause which outputs.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.