Intro - 22 YO 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
atlantisw
Contributor
Contributor

Intro - 22 YO 4/4

Post by atlantisw »

Hi everyone!

I am so grateful to join the community!

I am a 22 YO with 4/4 with some family members of Alzheimer's disease. I know I have a high risk. When I received my 23andme result, I was soooo sad. However, after some time, I dicided to focus more on what I can do to possibly delay or prevent AD.

Claming down, I realize I do have some "advantages": I am well educated, trilingual, slim, having a intellecturally demanding job. I am still working on with respect to muscle mass, AD preventive diet including fasting, and healthy sleep cycle.

I am good at cooking. So in the future I am looking forward to sharing with you some recipes that's both delicious and healthy.

Again, I am grateful to meet everyone here! ;)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Intro - 22 YO 4/4

Post by Tincup »

atlantisw wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:25 pm I am a 22 YO with 4/4 with some family members of Alzheimer's disease. I know I have a high risk. When I received my 23andme result, I was soooo sad. However, after some time, I decided to focus more on what I can do to possibly delay or prevent AD.

Claming down, I realize I do have some "advantages": I am well educated, trilingual, slim, having a intellectually demanding job. I am still working on with respect to muscle mass, AD preventive diet including fasting, and healthy sleep cycle.

I am good at cooking. So in the future I am looking forward to sharing with you some recipes that's both delicious and healthy.
Welcome atlantisw!

Your focus decision is an excellent one! In my opinion, much of the E4 risk is the mismatch between our current lifestyle and what our E4 genetics are adapted to, like surviving deprivation. At your age, you don't need to obsess about being "perfect." Just paying attention to the basics, as you mention and you should do well. Knowing my status is a strong motivator for me to keep my habits in line & I'm 67 with a mother who passed with dementia.
Tincup
E3,E4
Nicnac0526
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nicnac0526 »

atlantisw wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:25 pm Hi everyone!

I am a 22 YO with 4/4 with some family members of Alzheimer's disease. I know I have a high risk. When I received my 23andme result, I was soooo sad. However, after some time, I dicided to focus more on what I can do to possibly delay or prevent AD.

Claming down, I realize I do have some "advantages": I am well educated, trilingual, slim, having a intellecturally demanding job. I am still working on with respect to muscle mass, AD preventive diet including fasting, and healthy sleep cycle.

Hi atlantisw,
Welcome! You show great bravery and perspective in giving yourself time to process your results, breathe and then figure out what steps you would like to take next. It is a very difficult process and your positivity is almost certainly going to stand you well.
You may well already know these next links, but just in case.
The Primer includes research based prevention strategies and has been written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.
The The How to Guide not only has a mass of information - but also a search function in the top right hand corner and it shows how to subscribe to topics of interest.
Please do shout if you have any further questions or comments. As you have probably realised, we are a friendly bunch and often there is someone who can answer most questions or at least send you off in the right direction.
Warm regards
Nicky
OkieDokie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OkieDokie »

atlantisw wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:25 pm Hi everyone!

Welcome! I have been pretty quiet on here as of late but just wanted to say that I think you have such reason for optimism. You have your head on straight, you know your status, you plan to be active and healthy in life (which you should anyway), and you have TIME on your side. Yes, at this point in time it doesn't appear that the mystery has been solved, but with advances in medicine and technology coupled with your commitment to health I would be confident as you seem to be. I've often wondered about the knowledge of APOE status at such a young age, but honestly I view it as an advantage - knowledge is power, and that extra reason to live a healthy lifestyle will only serve you well in life. I'm 42 and 3/4 and I'm committed to (and honestly enjoy) a rigorous workout routine that otherwise would be easy to just pass on.