Have issues with denial - apoe 3/4 - 2018 Long read

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
barbS
Contributor
Contributor

Have issues with denial - apoe 3/4 - 2018 Long read

Post by barbS »

Hello again.

I've been away - I came back - went away - came back. Up/down. Until I recently decided this must stop and I need to address my "situation" as best as I can.

I am confused. Overwhelmed. And, well, scared out of my wits :)

I need some real old fashioned, knowledgeable assistance just untangling the many snps - that are on the five, or was it six - separate places for reports I paid to run my data through. And, perhaps suggest what I may do to wrangle the little suckers back into behaving!

Finding I am double reds ++ (i like using that nonsciencey term) for PEMT. I go back to scared and feeling a little tug at: RUN AWAY - FAST - RUN barbS RUNNNNNNN. Go back to my little nest of all is well - nothing to worry about here. i am just fine. i am fooling myself.

I have been doing a healthy regimen since 2007 - going organic (food clothing personal things), filtering water, using hepa air filtration, the best I could find - the best even with supps. Begin swimming, biking, run/walk every day. Ceased ALL not so great fast food in a bag. Been gluten free since 2009.
Even enrolled in Dr. Valter Longo's ProLon fasting foods. Intermittent fasting as long as possible. No blue lights at dusk, reduce wifi time - what ever I could find online for health I did. volvic/Fiji detox for aluminum. (before 23andme)
Ordered my OWN bloods - when able financially - basically stopped trusting medical folks in 2006 due to a goiter. It's been quite the last 15 years or so. The last time I seen a medical, was in ER with a kidney stone stuck somewhere in June, 2019. Stent took care of that and I have been fine since. I did see a gp for a quick once over end of 2019? all is well for the most part. she was NOT the one to speak to about my dna findings.
(My daughter let me move in with her in Chicago-- April 2019, to help me with costs of my getting even healthier.)

I paid to have merc removed from teeth June, 2019. There were MANY. My dentist back in the early 60's never used xrays. Saw a spot and I left with HUGE silver things on teeth and candy in hand. (no numbing at all) My Quick silver test came out very low for mercury but high in some others that didn't involve the bio dentist. She suggested I bring those up with my doctor *of which I didn't have in Chicago at the time. I gave up on those findings. I paid for OAT, DUTCH, Omegaquant, stool tests, ONCO blot test, and MUCH bloodwork following ReCode suggestions, with my functional medicine person.

I hired this person due to her working with many struggling to find a natural approach to overall health. Unfortunately, she veered off and began changing the entire Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimer's regimen I began on my own, by eliminating the supplements I had purchased for ReCode. so, I ended that. Been alone since.

Help.

I look up as much info as I can. Most is in research journal - publication type things I really do NOT understand. I love the titles of some reports that claim positive results in teeny mice with {latest thing} red lights against forehead/photobiomodulation, 40hz clicking/strobe lights. Or those w/o mice - saunas, calming crystals, teas, essential oils, walks in nature - beach walks on sand with bare feet, darkest room for sleep, etc etc etc. So there I go - trying them myself.

I need someone to look thru my data, and suggest a better path for me. I am drowning in information that I am not certain will benefit me. Recently, I did buy herring oil omega caps due to Dr. Patrick suggesting something about a better choice of fish roe for crossing the BBB? I alternate with ReCode protocol omega 3s. But will those do the trick - or just not bother? Maybe eat the herring roe if I can find it. Personally, capsules are probably the better way for me. I am trying.

What prompted this action was the post on PEMT. I was unaware that those double reds ++ for the PEMT is not the greatest. (no more find door, open door, RUN)
I had enlisted some help in the past with the snps here and there online. And came away feeling they were no big whoop.

Now I am not so sure.

There are a few that I just need to deal with. no more running. or denying. or pretending

Help. Where - Who can I go to in order to get the facts on my dna data? Someone that deals with all of the many snps that I feel are go against my ReCode regimen that I am doing on my own.

I just don't know who can help me find my way with all of this. Stuck in nowhere, ohio. (i move alot)

Possibly hire someone here on the forum? Not for any type of medical advice, per se. Just suggestions as to how to follow the Dr. Bredesen regimen in a more cohesive, planned way, that would help me in my health quest to live to be 120 years old. I understand the sheer amount of info with those reports and trying to decipher. I just don't know how.

Thank you. alot. <3
ApoE 3/4
MTHFR A1298C
VDR Taq
all the other ++
MAO R297R MTHFD1L GAMT PEMT CCL2 SOD3 NSUDS7 ATG16L1 FOXE1 do these matter? :?: (I believe in "woo" cuz pharma never helped me)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Have issues with denial - apoe 3/4 - 2018 Long read

Post by NF52 »

barbS wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:35 am Hello again. ...
I am confused. Overwhelmed. And, well, scared out of my wits :)....

I have been doing a healthy regimen since 2007 - going organic (food clothing personal things), filtering water, using hepa air filtration, the best I could find - the best even with supps. Begin swimming, biking, run/walk every day. Ceased ALL not so great fast food in a bag. Been gluten free since 2009.
Even enrolled in Dr. Valter Longo's ProLon fasting foods. Intermittent fasting as long as possible. No blue lights at dusk, reduce wifi time - what ever I could find online for health I did. volvic/Fiji detox for aluminum. (before 23andme)
I need someone to look thru my data, and suggest a better path for me. I am drowning in information that I am not certain will benefit me. ....

I just don't know who can help me find my way with all of this. Stuck in nowhere, ohio. (i move alot)

.....Just suggestions as to how to follow the Dr. Bredesen regimen in a more cohesive, planned way, that would help me in my health quest to live to be 120 years old. I understand the sheer amount of info with those reports and trying to decipher. I just don't know how.

Thank you. alot. <3
Hi barbS!

As someone who has been known to write a long post or two---never apologize for getting it all out at once!! Sounds like you've been trying to recreate Lewis and Clark's search for the Northwest Passage without Sacajawea, their essential (and under-appreciated) guide and translator. Yet like Lewis and Clark, you have a lot going for you: your determination, your problem-solving, your willingness to go-it-alone when necessary, your commitment to eating the way people did 200 years ago. Like them, I suspect you are also beginning to realize that there's such a thing as "too many guides and too many suggestions on the path to follow." At some point, we all tend to say "For now, this is the darn path; don't bother me with more suggestions!"

I noticed that you recently found and re-posted the Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers co-authored by Dr. Richard Isaacson, who until recently was the Director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill-Cornell Medical Center in NYC. Much of what he and the other authors suggest seems both reasonable and consistent with Dr. Bredesen's recommendations, and since it's specifically written for those with ApoE 4, with explanations for why they make suggestions, it might be one way to "pick a path".

It's also important to remember that no one has yet figured out how to give an individualized prescription or prediction of what one person's genes mean. My father was an identical twin, so much so that he and his twin could cover for each other in college classes. Since I am ApoE 4/4 they each were likely ApoE 3/4, yet they died 7 years apart: my father from cardiac disease; my uncle from colon cancer. (This was before either cardiac tests or colonoscopies were common.) I've read that identical twins USUALLY die 7 years apart--clearly environment and individual gene expression plays a big role. My maternal grandmother died of a stroke at age 45, yet none of her 11 children had a stroke in early life; although several had heart or vascular disease in their 70's and 80's. One lived to be 97 and died with a happy brain while enjoying a nap.

A;l those healthy habits have likely drastically reduced your risk of dementia of any kind, and that risk was probably no more than 20-25% for the U.S life expectancy of 85, per this meta-analysis of thousands of people in their 60's-80's in the US and Netherlands: [Sorry; I don't think anyone's projecting out to 120, but if I don't have dementia at 85; I'll do a happy dance!]
APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2...The regression models are insufficiently precise for “personalized medicine” incidence estimates based on sex, education, or other factors, but they do allow for qualitative adjustments to overall stratified risk estimates.
As for finding your own Sacajawea, how about looking on the ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches Wiki and read some entries to see who seems like someone you might like to learn more about? Most offer a free intro session on Zoom, and several have ReCODE training so would be familiar with all those red boxes.

Tell yourself every day that you have made it into your 60's and spend your mental energy making plans each day to find joy in life. We owe that to ourselves!!
4/4 and still an optimist!
barbS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barbS »

where are those heart emojies when you need them? <3 THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was brought up in a "follow the ONLY correct plan" type of way. It was very different back then and in some way - I miss it. I just feel there is NO wiggle room here. Buckle down and get to work. I am already working on ANOTHER set of tests to have at the ready! I am a bit of a 'get it done now' sort of gal. especially with something like this :) Aint gonna wait. Once I am determined... yikes. I do move FAST. :) Heading over to those coaches now. From the bottom - and top - of my heart: thank you.
ApoE 3/4
MTHFR A1298C
VDR Taq
all the other ++
MAO R297R MTHFD1L GAMT PEMT CCL2 SOD3 NSUDS7 ATG16L1 FOXE1 do these matter? :?: (I believe in "woo" cuz pharma never helped me)
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

Hi Barb,
A health coach maybe helpful if you feel you are in analysis paralysis. As someone who also digs a lot into the data, I can relate. One thing you may find helpful, and it will feel counter intuitive, is to try meditation. Even a few minutes a day, there are a lot of free ones out on youtube. Meditation is very good for our brains and can help with feelings of overwhelm.
apoe 3/4