alpha lipoic acid causes a homocystein rise

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

alpha lipoic acid causes a homocystein rise

Post by Stefan »

I am a MTHFR 677 C>T and ApoE 4/3 , 76 y. old male on the Bredesen Prevention Programme for about 6-7 years. I am doing quite well, but struggle to get my homocystein level down, varying between 11 and 14, at the same time I struggle against insulin resistence, my Hba1c rising steadily (it naturally rises with age...) the average value during the last year being 6 %. Half an year ago I added 900 mg daily alpha lipoic acid to control better my insulin resistence, hoping to do something against the Hb1ac rise. I have posted here for homocystein advice: optimal B12 with regular injections, supplements vitamin B-complex (B2, B6 etc) Mg, 500 mg choline/Insositol, 3-5 g taurin, and usually 2 g betain. 6 months ago I increased Bt to 7 g daily (together with starting taking 900 mg ALA) hoping to see my HC decrease, but it increased by 35 % from 13.4 to 17.9, i.e. an increase of 34% ! I was at a loss, and started to search for a reason.... luckily a mail by Chris Masterjohn reached me shortly after. He warns against ALA intake, as it interferes with methylation, see Chris's afticle here[https://chrismasterjohnphd.substack.com ... l-groupsrl] As MTHFR SNPs are quite frequent, I guess also in the ApoE community, please spread this message.
Smart Tian
Contributor
Contributor

Re: alpha lipoic acid causes a homocystein rise

Post by Smart Tian »

您好,我想问一下是ALA导致同型半胱氨酸升高吗?我的妈妈现在服用斯旺森的降同型半胱氨酸胶囊,同时服用硫辛酸,然后服用藻油DHA,藻油DHA一粒含有375mg的DHA,还有125mg的ALA,因为藻油DHA颗粒较小,我的妈妈好接受一些。我无法上传图片,所以没法把我吃的补充剂图片发上来

The following is the English translation of the software, which may not be accurate. Please forgive me

Hello, I would like to ask whether ala leads to the increase of homocysteine? My mother now takes Swanson's hypohomocysteine capsule, lipoic acid, and then algae oil DHA. One grain of algae oil DHA contains 375mg DHA and 125mg Ala. because algae oil DHA particles are smaller, my mother is easier to accept. I can't upload pictures, so I can't send pictures of my supplements
Stefan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefan »

if your mother has a methylation problem because of a MTHFR SNP, ala might cause homocystein rise, if this is the case, check out her momocystein level
Smart Tian
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smart Tian »

谢谢您的提醒。并且感谢您提供的降低同型半胱氨酸的配方,我想问下Bt是什么物质?我没查到。

The following is the English translation of the software, which may not be accurate. Please forgive me

Thank you for your reminder. And thank you for the formula to reduce homocysteine,I want to ask what substance is BT? I didn't find it
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Stefan wrote:...usually 2 g betain. 6 months ago I increased Bt to 7 g daily...
Smart Tian wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 pm 谢谢您的提醒。并且感谢您提供的降低同型半胱氨酸的配方,我想问下Bt是什么物质?我没查到。

Thank you for your reminder. And thank you for the formula to reduce homocysteine,I want to ask what substance is BT? I didn't find it
Hi Smart Tian,
I copied Stefan in on your question, and found part of his earlier post that may answer what BT is. It looks like he was saying that he usually took two grams per day of betain, but 6 months ago increased that to 7 grams daily.

I think he's referring to betaine, since I found this explanation of how it might reduce homocysteine on the website of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City (a respected research center in the US): https://www.mountsinai.org/health-libr ... nt/betaine.

And by the way, your translation software is great!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Smart Tian
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smart Tian »

NF52 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am
Stefan wrote:...usually 2 g betain. 6 months ago I increased Bt to 7 g daily...
Smart Tian wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 pm 谢谢您的提醒。并且感谢您提供的降低同型半胱氨酸的配方,我想问下Bt是什么物质?我没查到。

Hi Smart Tian,
I copied Stefan in on your question, and found part of his earlier post that may answer what BT is. It looks like he was saying that he usually took two grams per day of betain, but 6 months ago increased that to 7 grams daily.

I think he's referring to betaine, since I found this explanation of how it might reduce homocysteine on the website of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City (a respected research center in the US): https://www.mountsinai.org/health-libr ... nt/betaine.

And by the way, your translation software is great!

好的,感谢告知,谢谢,我也不知道我妈妈的同型半胱氨酸是多少,但是整个维生素B族非常重要,就先吃着,我吃的是斯旺森 swanson 的Activated Homocysteine 降同型半胱氨酸,不吃这个的时候就单吃维生素B族,或者单吃甲钴胺(B12)

OK, thank you for telling me. Thank you. I don't know how much my mother's homocysteine is, but the whole vitamin B family is very important, so I eat it first. I eat activated Homocysteine of Swanson to reduce homocysteine. When I don't eat this, I only eat vitamin B family or methylcobalamin (B12)