Question on statin and saturated fat

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Question on statin and saturated fat

Post by Robin2038 »

Good morning!
If someone is a 4/4 (age in 70s) and on statins due to a high cardiac calcium score, and now lipids are quite low (ldl 80), should that person still avoid saturated far or does the statin mitigate the risk? He is otherwise healthy but lots of Alzheimer’s in the family. Can CCS go down significantly over time with diet? I’m wondering if he sticks to MUFAs will CCS reduce and perhaps he can get off the statin? Thanks for responding
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question on statin and saturated fat

Post by TLS »

I am not a doctor but my understanding is that the calcium score doesn't change much in a positive direction, that's why you don't get them repeatedly.

Overall diet might be the more important question. Does the person eat a whole food diet? Do they go out to eat a lot? Restaurants don't use good oils most of the time. What kind of saturated fats? Grass fed butter or coconut oil, which are considered fairly healthy or something else?

Other factors that contribute to heart disease and plaques are simple carbs and sugar, aka the standard american diet. There is a lot of debate over the cause of plaques.

I may not have helped much here.... personally for me, I think overall diet is more important than one component. Hopefully some of the others will provide input.
apoe 3/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi Robin2038,

Optimal LDL is under 70, according to several lipid experts, including Dr. Thomas Dayspring.

I try to avoid as much saturated fat as possible and stick with fish/algae oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado and avocado oil, and nuts.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Adding to Plumster's response: At an LDL-cholesterol of 70 mg/dl was shown to stop the accumulation of plaque - no additional plaques, but what you already had remains. To have any hope of actually reducing it even lower levels may be needed.
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

Robin2038 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:15 am Good morning!
If someone is a 4/4 (age in 70s) and on statins due to a high cardiac calcium score, and now lipids are quite low (ldl 80), should that person still avoid saturated far or does the statin mitigate the risk? He is otherwise healthy but lots of Alzheimer’s in the family. Can CCS go down significantly over time with diet? I’m wondering if he sticks to MUFAs will CCS reduce and perhaps he can get off the statin? Thanks for responding
Hi Robin,
Your concern for your loved one is obvious in your post. I can say that, in my experience with helping my husband navigate statins, we've had some luck with reducing saturated fat. Of course, that can be a difficult road. Your encouragement will mean a lot. What kind of foods are proving challenging to eliminate? Perhaps starting with those foods that are easier to reduce will give some success and help make further changes down the line.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks all!