Questions on diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Questions on diet

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:Rifaximin worked wonders for my mental fatigue but nothing else...
So happy to hear you got this huge mental resilience boost from Rifaximin Brain!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Circular! It has improved the quality of my life!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:Thanks, Circular! It has improved the quality of my life!
I can well imagine. You've been working so many angles for so long it was good to hear of this big win! :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Whatnow »

I came across this thread while searching for info on flavonoids and polyphenols. I was intrigued by Julie's comment about cloves in her coffee. I don't know if I'll try that or not (although I might, I do drink a lot of coffee). Anyway, I noticed that one of my favorite teas, Constant Comment, apparently has cloves in it as well as rind of orange. Perhaps I should drink this more often? Does anyone else have favorite tea blends with lots of polyphenols?
JHanson101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JHanson101 »

Any recommendations on getting more protein? I understand it’s mostly fish. I’m tired of fish. My uric acid levels are high. I’m not sure if this is from eating fish? Apparently protein powder is not recommended? I’m feeling a bit frustrated. Life is fish, shellfish, eggs? Open to suggestions. Thank you
Goldygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goldygirl »

JHanson101 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:21 am Any recommendations on getting more protein? I understand it’s mostly fish. I’m tired of fish. My uric acid levels are high. I’m not sure if this is from eating fish? Apparently protein powder is not recommended? I’m feeling a bit frustrated. Life is fish, shellfish, eggs? Open to suggestions. Thank you
Hi JHanson101!
I am new to this forum and was navigating around and exploring when I saw your diet question. I can definitely relate to your frustrations of trying to optimize your protein intake as eating the same foods definitely becomes monotonous. Have you experimented with different kinds of fish? Dr. Bredesen’s book recommends eating the SMASH fish (salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines and herring). That is a little more variety. I recently learned that hemp seeds contain protein (I think that 3 Tbsp has approximately 9 grams of protein) and I have used raw hemp seeds in a variety of ways (sprinkled on salads, cereal, integrated into my veggie burgers). I am not certain as to whether it is Ketoflex compliant as I am still learning about the diet. Do you like beans? Soy? Nuts? Our creativity and resourcefulness for trying different recipes is being challenged regularly!

Also, a resource you might find helpful is from the Canadian government, Canada’s Food Guide. https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy ... ein-foods/. It has been updated over the years and you may find some suggestions for plant based proteins. Everyday I am learning about new sources of protein and trying to add variety to my diet. I hope that these suggestions have helped you in some small way.
Goldygirl
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
JHanson101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JHanson101 »

Thank you. It does help. Good reminder for me. I appreciate the message
Theresa.J
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Theresa.J »

Goldygirl wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:55 pm
JHanson101 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:21 am Any recommendations on getting more protein? I understand it’s mostly fish. I’m tired of fish. My uric acid levels are high. I’m not sure if this is from eating fish? Apparently protein powder is not recommended? I’m feeling a bit frustrated. Life is fish, shellfish, eggs? Open to suggestions. Thank you
Hi JHanson101!
I am new to this forum and was navigating around and exploring when I saw your diet question. I can definitely relate to your frustrations of trying to optimize your protein intake as eating the same foods definitely becomes monotonous. Have you experimented with different kinds of fish? Dr. Bredesen’s book recommends eating the SMASH fish (salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines and herring). That is a little more variety. I recently learned that hemp seeds contain protein (I think that 3 Tbsp has approximately 9 grams of protein) and I have used raw hemp seeds in a variety of ways (sprinkled on salads, cereal, integrated into my veggie burgers). I am not certain as to whether it is Ketoflex compliant as I am still learning about the diet. Do you like beans? Soy? Nuts? Our creativity and resourcefulness for trying different recipes is being challenged regularly!

Also, a resource you might find helpful is from the Canadian government, Canada’s Food Guide. https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy ... ein-foods/. It has been updated over the years and you may find some suggestions for plant based proteins. Everyday I am learning about new sources of protein and trying to add variety to my diet. I hope that these suggestions have helped you in some small way.
Welcome to the ApoE4.info Support Team, Goldygirl! I am just wrapping up my six-month internship. I've had an awesome experience and learned so much. It's an inspiring community! I'm confident that you will find your internship equally enriching.

Thanks for sharing all of these great ideas about various ways to optimize protein intake. I also use raw hemp seeds in smoothies and a healthy muffin recipe. I was just thinking today that I need to branch out in my fish choices. I love salmon, but want to start trying some of the other SMASH fish. In looking at the Canadian food guide that you linked, I see that chickpeas and lentils are listed as good sources of protein. It just so happens that I purchased an organic pasta today that is made with only chickpeas and lentils and contains 23g of protein per serving! Here is a review of the product if you want to check it out.

Warmly,
Theresa.J
Theresa.J, MPH
ApoE4.info Support Team Intern
Goldygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Questions on diet/Welcome

Post by Goldygirl »

Theresa wrote:Welcome to the ApoE4.info Support Team, Goldygirl! I am just wrapping up my six-month internship. I've had an awesome experience and learned so much. It's an inspiring community! I'm confident that you will find your internship equally enriching.

Warmly,
Theresa.J

Thanks for the warm welcome Theresa.J
I am looking forward to joining the ApoE4.info Support Team. I have seen firsthand what a caring and inspiring community contribute to this forum and hope that I can share value as well. Best to you as you transition to your next exciting experience.

Best,
Barbara :)
Goldygirl