New to site- looking for doctor for mom

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PamelaVan
New User
New User

Re: New to site- looking for doctor for mom

Post by PamelaVan »

Cmscheele wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 am Thanks, Avalon. I somehow didn’t see this notification until now. I greatly appreciate your feedback. My mom had her initial visit and is having some of the tests done now, prior to her next scheduled appointment. My parents are prepared for the cost of supplements, but plan to shop around, to see if there are cheaper ones. Have you tried doing so? Thanks again!
Can you please let me know how Dr. Panitch has been working out for your mother? Thank you very much.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New to site- looking for doctor for mom

Post by NF52 »

PamelaVan wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:34 pm
Cmscheele wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 am Thanks, Avalon. I somehow didn’t see this notification until now. I greatly appreciate your feedback. My mom had her initial visit and is having some of the tests done now, prior to her next scheduled appointment. My parents are prepared for the cost of supplements, but plan to shop around, to see if there are cheaper ones. Have you tried doing so? Thanks again!
Can you please let me know how Dr. Panitch has been working out for your mother? Thank you very much.
Hi Pamela (Hope I'm not presumptuous in using that as your name.) I'm glad you found your way to our forum and even figured out our clunky system of having to use the quote icon in the upper right corner of a post to send an email notification to a member.
I'm guessing you are in the Chicago are, where Dr. Panitch is located, or have a loved one in that area who you are hoping to help. Cmscheele posted in 2019, a few years after her mother had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, with an older sister also diagnosed and in a memory care facility. She was quite concerned that her mother had experienced a noticeable decline over the previous months and no longer recognized her husband and had "sundowning" confusion at various points during the day when she was disoriented in her own home.

I certainly don't want to speak anyone else, but I know from the experience of my mother, mother-in-law and several maternal aunts that such difficulties are often a sign of moderate Alzheimer's, often after several years of more gradual changes. Studies of people with those difficulties has shown that there is often sign of the brain having tried very hard to resist the disease, but eventually showing signs of loss of neurons in key areas. It may be that the path her mother took is still too recent to share on this forum, or that Dr. Panitch is a great doctor, yet was unable to change her mother's trajectory. My own mother's doctor was wonderful; yet her advanced heart failure and mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementia still led to her death at age 86--but she has 41 more years of life and love than her mother did, and 10 more years than her dad.

You may want to go ahead and call Dr. Panitch's office and discuss your own situation, or possible check some of the other ApoE4-Aware Health Practitioners from our Wiki, or use the Seaching for a Healthcare Practitioner suggestions, also from the wiki. Since COVID, many practitioners have become adept at using telehealth and electronic records to work with patients and families remotely.

I hope this is helpful; feel free to use this forum to search out other resources, especially during times when you may feel alone in your own situation.

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!