Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Post by circular »

Transcendental meditation is another approach to hypoxia. In my experiences with meditation over decades, TM clearly has a more profound hypoxic effect than other forms of meditation. It's also intriguing that the ancient ayurvedic traditions from which TM arises also incorporate pranayama to ensure adequate oxygenation. It reminds me of being metabolically flexible between ketones and glucose, which also feed mitochondria so they can make ATP.

The discussion below is quite old, but it draws interesting comparisons to other biological life forms and hypometabolism:

Meditation as a Voluntary Hypometabolic State of Biological Estivation (1998)
Meditation, a wakeful hypometabolic state of parasympathetic dominance, is compared with other hypometabolic conditions, such as sleep, hypnosis, and the torpor of hibernation. We conclude that there are many analogies between the physiology of long-term meditators and hibernators across the phylogenetic scale. These analogies further reinforce the idea that plasticity of consciousness remains a key factor in successful biological adaptation.
The situation with long-term meditators is more complex, however, as shown by extensive studies of transcendental meditation, by far the most well-researched and empirically documented meditation program presently available (2). Although it is generally conceded that a wakeful hypometabolic state of increased parasympathetic dominance characterizes almost all forms of meditation in their initial stages, people who have been meditating for years or even decades show marked differences in both their physiological response and their ability to control their own physiology compared with meditators who have only been practicing a short time.

Hypometabolism is markedly increased in the advanced meditator compared with the beginner. In addition, there is significantly decreased sensitivity to ambient CO2, and there are increased episodes of respiratory suspension that are highly correlated with subjective reports of what is called in yoga the experience of pure consciousness. Dramatic increases in phenylalanine concentration have also been noted in advanced meditators. Similarly, the urinary metabolite of serotonin (5-hydroxyindole-3- acetic acid) is found to be higher in meditators than in resting controls; levels also increase signi- ficantly immediately after the meditation period has ended.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

How are members liking Live O2? I’m working with someone who has been using it successfully but is now concerned with the new “Brain O2” protocol.
Thoughts?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Robin2038 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:31 pm How are members liking Live O2? I’m working with someone who has been using it successfully but is now concerned with the new “Brain O2” protocol.
Thoughts?
Thank you for giving me new DIY ideas to try for the Brain O2 protocol on my fan bike (90's Schwinn Airdyne)

The {Brain O2} cycle has three stages:

Maximize steady state blood flow to the brain exerting on oxygen reduced air
After warm up, do a steady state session with reduced breathing and/or exhaled breath hold and/or exercise mask

Sprint to create a temporary maximum in blood flow volume
Switch to oxygen rich air during the sprint to create a maximum in blood oxygen concentration during the temporary maximum in blood flow volume
Take off mask & hyperventilate during the sprint

Rinse & repeat (go back to reduced breathing or exhaled breath hold without mask).

Currently I've been working on eight rounds of 13 second max sprints with 17 seconds easy with nasal breathing the entire time. My goal is 20 second max sprints with 10 seconds easy with nasal breathing (can do if I mouth breathe).
Tincup
E3,E4
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

That sounds challenging Tincup! Thanks.