Dealt the 4/4 gene card and have intense anxiety about basically everything

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Shelbail
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dealt the 4/4 gene card and have intense anxiety about basically everything

Post by Shelbail »

I’m loving all the comments here! I am new to this forum and also a 4/4. I found out about 6 months ago and have gone through many highs and lows since. My mom died of Alzheimer’s at age 72. Unfortunately she ate a lot of sugar, socially isolated herself and had 2 head injuries. I’ve been slowly changing my lifestyle and have hope that I will get well into my eighties with a healthy brain!
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Alexia C »

Shelbail wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:51 am I’m loving all the comments here! I am new to this forum and also a 4/4. I found out about 6 months ago and have gone through many highs and lows since. My mom died of Alzheimer’s at age 72. Unfortunately she ate a lot of sugar, socially isolated herself and had 2 head injuries. I’ve been slowly changing my lifestyle and have hope that I will get well into my eighties with a healthy brain!
Hello Shelbail and Welcome!

I am so sorry you have gone through the difficult time of seeing your mother struggle with AD. I had the same experience with my grandmother, so I know how challenging and discouraging it can feel to watch a loved one with progressive cognitive decline.

I am glad you found us and hopefully we can provide some support and guidance. Thank you for sharing your health and family journey with us. It is never too late to start and just being aware that improving your lifestyle will bring many benefits is a huge step. Taking tiny steps everyday by adding more movement and being mindful of your nutrition intake will have a positive impact in your health as you age.

As a welcome intern, I would like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further. The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies. It has been written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. You might find some with experiences similar to yours that can steer you in the right direction.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and hope you find the support you need. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Warm regards,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Shelbail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shelbail »

Thank you Alexia! I do suffer from extreme anxiety and sometimes I fear I’ll give myself Alzheimer’s from all the worry! I do feel knowledge is power though. I’m just trying my best to enjoy life and be healthy. It’s a balance for sure. Are there any health coaches on here with the apoe 4/4 taking clients? I’d love to work with someone with similar genes to my own.
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Alexia C »

Shelbail wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm Thank you Alexia! I do suffer from extreme anxiety and sometimes I fear I’ll give myself Alzheimer’s from all the worry! I do feel knowledge is power though. I’m just trying my best to enjoy life and be healthy. It’s a balance for sure. Are there any health coaches on here with the apoe 4/4 taking clients? I’d love to work with someone with similar genes to my own.
Hi Shelbail,

Yes..I understand the fear and anxiety. (I think all my family is in denial of certain changes we are observing in my father) Fear can blind us.

I fully agree 'knowledge is power'. The more you learn, the better choices you can make. That in itself should lessen some of your worries. Knowledge is a 'gamechanger'. I have no doubt with your love of learning you will make the best choices for you. There is much research out there that supports we are not destined by our genes!

I celebrate with you the wisdom of keeping it all in a balance. It will guide you in the right direction.

This is the link were you can find details of health coaches:

Apoe4-Aware Health Coaches

This is what health coaching can provide in case you decide to work with one-

Health coaching is a client-centered process in which the client determines their own path and the coach provides the support and encouragement to make positive and lasting lifestyle changes. Coaches guide the client to create a vision for their health and help them set goals to achieve that vision. Coaches can supply information and education, work with clients to explore options, brainstorm, prioritize, set goals, help them stay accountable, explore barriers, and celebrate successes. For improving or preventing cognitive decline, health coaches can support clients as they learn about healthier lifestyle options and work to improve their diet, exercise, sleep, relaxation, social engagement or any other habits to reach their health goals. Note: coaches will most likely will not be physicians, physician assistants, or nurse practitioners, so will not be ordering or interpreting lab tests, or prescribing medicine.

Please feel free to reach out anytime with further questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Warm regards,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Shelbail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shelbail »

Thank you!