Calcium Supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Calcium Supplements

Post by Plumster »

Hi Jan18,

Some thoughts on alternatives to dairy:

Kukicha tea is very high in calcium
The supplement Ca-AKG has about 10% calcium but is a supplement known to be good for bone formation
My doctor recommends taking the MK-7 version of the K2 supplement, at least 90 mcg a day
Enriched Rice milk (the brand Rice Dream, among others, has no carrageenen or saturated fat and 20% of daily calcium)
Enriched Flax milk (Good Karma Foods has 25% of daily calcium)
Resistance training and walking
Photobiomodulation (red light therapy) helps with bone formation
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Plumster wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:15 am Hi Jan18,

Some thoughts on alternatives to dairy:

Kukicha tea is very high in calcium
The supplement Ca-AKG has about 10% calcium but is a supplement known to be good for bone formation
My doctor recommends taking the MK-7 version of the K2 supplement, at least 90 mcg a day
Enriched Rice milk (the brand Rice Dream, among others, has no carrageenen or saturated fat and 20% of daily calcium)
Enriched Flax milk (Good Karma Foods has 25% of daily calcium)
Resistance training and walking
Photobiomodulation (red light therapy) helps with bone formation
Thanks, Plumster.

I'm in an exercise quandry right now, as my first knee replacement is doing okay but I need the other replaced, too. So walking isn't easy. Nor is biking. And when I have it done, if it's like the first one, it takes a good YEAR for it to be able to be walked on enough for exercise. I worry I'll have a heart attack and die during that year of no impact exercise (just kidding...but kinda not). There is upper body stuff that can be quite cardio, so that's my plan for the recupe period. But won't be putting weight on it for quite some time, so that worries me.

My D supplement is D3+K2. If I decide to take the mk7 your doctor recommends, should I then just get a Vit D supplement without K2? Wondering if both might be too much.

Will check out the tea suggestion. Photobiomodulation? Hmmmm....I'll look into that and your others, too.

You say "your doctor" -- is this a ReCode physician, personal internist, OBGYN, what?

P.S. I hate it when foods give percentages of nutrients unless they stipulate "of the recommended 1200 mg" for women over 50. Usually they give no other details so you don't know how many mg's you're really getting. :(
Last edited by Jan18 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

My D supplement is D3+K2. If I decide to take the Kmk7 your doctor recommends, should I then just get a Vit D supplement without K2? Wondering if both might be too much.

Will check out the tea suggestion. Photobiomodulation? Hmmmm....I'll look into that and your others, too.

You say "your doctor" -- is this a ReCode physician, personal internist, OBGYN, what?
Very sorry to hear of your knee replacement aftermath! That's a long time to not exercise your legs. I wish you a speedy recovery! Check out this exercise, the "Soleus Pushup."

Photobiomodulation should help with recovery. If you don't want to buy a panel (they can get expensive), you may be able to go to a tanning salon and ask if they have red light therapy. They are starting to pop up in those salons. But using red light does require consistency and duration.

I get K2 in both the MK-7 and also in my D (Thorne's D+K) as well. My primary doctor told me to take at least 90. Studies that have been done were with higher dosages. Sometimes I even take another MK-7 supplement later in the day. But vitamin D and calcium are equally or perhaps more important.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Plumster wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:10 am

Very sorry to hear of your knee replacement aftermath! That's a long time to not exercise your legs. I wish you a speedy recovery! Check out this exercise, the "Soleus Pushup."

Photobiomodulation should help with recovery. If you don't want to buy a panel (they can get expensive), you may be able to go to a tanning salon and ask if they have red light therapy. They are starting to pop up in those salons. But using red light does require consistency and duration.

I get K2 in both the MK-7 and also in my D (Thorne's D+K) as well. My primary doctor told me to take at least 90. Studies that have been done were with higher dosages. Sometimes I even take another MK-7 supplement later in the day. But vitamin D and calcium are equally or perhaps more important.
Plumster, checked my D3+K2 and was delighted to see my formula has MK-7. Oh, and I don't mean to say I won't be doing any exercise at all after the TKR on my right knee. It's just s-l-o-w going to put any meaningful weight on it during recovery, but they start you off immediately on range of motion for a few weeks and pretty fast on strength training. Just won't be doing cardio walking for a long time.

It's pretty painful and I was on alternating huge amounts of NSAIDS and other pain meds (even Tramadol for 5 weeks) so I'm concerned about that and will be looking for alternatives. Don't know if anything will work as well and you absolutely do need pain relief after that surgery.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Good luck, Jan18!!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Plumster wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:35 pm Good luck, Jan18!!
Thanks, Plumster! Been checking out all of your recommendations! :)
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Jan18 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:35 am
Plumster wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:35 pm Good luck, Jan18!!
Thanks, Plumster! Been checking out all of your recommendations! :)

Hi Jan18, I just came across this book called Healthy Bones Healthy You by Lara Pizzorno. Might be of interest to several of us here.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

[quote=Plumster post_id=87536 time=1672945217 user_id=2898}

Hi Jan18, I just came across this book called Healthy Bones Healthy You by Lara Pizzorno. Might be of interest to several of us here.
[/quote]

Thanks!!!