Low fasting insulin predictor of Alzheimer's disease

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
gpaz
Contributor
Contributor

Low fasting insulin predictor of Alzheimer's disease

Post by gpaz »

I was kinda baffled that my fasting insulin was only 2, while my A1C was 5.5 (my doctor said her test runs high so she feels it's more of a 5.0) but either way it doesn't tie out for me., especially because I don't follow a keto or really low carb diet.

Sure enough I found this study 😭

Low Fasting Insulin in Middle Age Doubles Risk of Dementia 34 Years Later

https://journals.lww.com/neurotodayonli ... in.10.aspx

I'm in middle age... lol.

The study is basically saying that it's a sign of brain metabolism problem... which ties to AD.

I searched this forum and didn't see anything about this. There have a been a few studies on this correlation. Would love anyone's thoughts!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Low fasting insulin predictor of Alzheimer's disease

Post by floramaria »

gpaz wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:01 pm Low Fasting Insulin in Middle Age Doubles Risk of Dementia 34 Years Later

https://journals.lww.com/neurotodayonli ... in.10.aspx
Really interesting article, gpaz. Thank you for posting it.
We will have to be on the lookout for the results of the clinical trial using intranasal insulin.
….a clinical trial led by Suzanne Craft, PhD, of Wake Forest School of Medicine, which found that delivering long-acting intranasal insulin improved cognition for adults with mild cognitive impairment or early-stage AD. That phase 2 study involved just 60 participants, but a national phase 3 trial is now underway, he said. Top-line results from that study are expected to be made public within the next 12 months;
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
gpaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gpaz »

Thank you for response.
We will have to be on the lookout for the results of the clinical trial using intranasal insulin.
Looks like a trial was already completed with decent results for APOE4's...

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e_Dementia
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

gpaz wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:01 pm I was kinda baffled that my fasting insulin was only 2, while my A1C was 5.5 (my doctor said her test runs high so she feels it's more of a 5.0) but either way it doesn't tie out for me., especially because I don't follow a keto or really low carb diet.

I searched this forum and didn't see anything about this. There have a been a few studies on this correlation. Would love anyone's thoughts!
FWIW, my friend, Catherine Crofts, did her PhD thesis with Dr. Joseph Kraft's data (~15,000 oral glucose tolerance tests with insulin assays). Catherine told me that fasting insulin is very pulsatile over short periods of time. Hence she is much more in favor of testing insulin under stress or loading.

Here are two links with links to more searches for Kraft and Crofts for more info: one two
As well, a search on our site for posts on them.

A 14 day CGM might be useful to see what your glucose response is to various foods . If your doc won't prescribe, Two can be had for $160 for the pair in the US here This is for the Abbott FreeStyle Libre. From experience, ignore the first day or so. The data are notoriously bad then. Also see Dr. Mark Cucuzzella's presentation on CGM's here.
Tincup
E3,E4