Newbie - asking for help for my dad (considering Bredesen)

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Emurray
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie - asking for help for my dad (considering Bredesen)

Post by Emurray »

Hello - Thanks for this wonderful forum. I've learned a lot already just by reading others' experiences and perspectives.

A bit of background. My dad (73, overweight, but in generally in good physical condition including regular exercise) was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment two years ago. He lives alone following my mom's death in 2018. Lately, his cognition has clearly worsened. My sister and I are worried, and my dad is too (although his cognition is such that he is not able to notice and understand the differences as well as my sister and I do).

We are considering doing the Bredesen protocol through Apollo health, although the expense is certainly giving us pause. I would be very curious to hear of any reviews - positive or negative - of working with Apollo. We do not yet know my dad's APOE status, but plan to to test soon, either through the Apollo-affiliated practitioner or independently if we do not go the Apollo route.

I have tried to read as much of the board as possible, so that I am not asking duplicative questions. My general sense from reading is that there are ways to implement parts of the Bredesen protocol on one's own (or with the support of a friend/family member), but that it takes quite a bit of effort. Since my dad lives on his own, I think it would be hard to DIY this -- and because my sister and I will support as much as we can, but we both have jobs and young families and thus have limited time. So part of why I am thinking that we should marshal our resources and pay for Apollo is that I do not know if we have the time to do it ourselves. But I welcome any reactions to this.

My other question is about the diet. I suspect that tests will show that my dad is recommended to change his diet and that ketosis would help him. However, one of the few things that keeps him mentally young is his social life. He has many friends and likes to go out to dinner. If he has the occasional indulgence, does it negate all of the effort? Because if so, I don't think we should go down this path. (This thread seemed to indicate that perfection isn't necessary: viewtopic.php?t=7928.)

I would be very grateful for any thoughts. I also have a question about neurofeedback and will post that separately.

Thank you very much!
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newbie - asking for help for my dad (considering Bredesen)

Post by Alexia C »

Emurray wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 am Hello - Thanks for this wonderful forum. I've learned a lot already just by reading others' experiences and perspectives.

A bit of background. My dad (73, overweight, but in generally in good physical condition including regular exercise) was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment two years ago. He lives alone following my mom's death in 2018. Lately, his cognition has clearly worsened. My sister and I are worried, and my dad is too (although his cognition is such that he is not able to notice and understand the differences as well as my sister and I do).

We are considering doing the Bredesen protocol through Apollo health, although the expense is certainly giving us pause. I would be very curious to hear of any reviews - positive or negative - of working with Apollo. We do not yet know my dad's APOE status, but plan to to test soon, either through the Apollo-affiliated practitioner or independently if we do not go the Apollo route.

I have tried to read as much of the board as possible, so that I am not asking duplicative questions. My general sense from reading is that there are ways to implement parts of the Bredesen protocol on one's own (or with the support of a friend/family member), but that it takes quite a bit of effort. Since my dad lives on his own, I think it would be hard to DIY this -- and because my sister and I will support as much as we can, but we both have jobs and young families and thus have limited time. So part of why I am thinking that we should marshal our resources and pay for Apollo is that I do not know if we have the time to do it ourselves. But I welcome any reactions to this.

My other question is about the diet. I suspect that tests will show that my dad is recommended to change his diet and that ketosis would help him. However, one of the few things that keeps him mentally young is his social life. He has many friends and likes to go out to dinner. If he has the occasional indulgence, does it negate all of the effort? Because if so, I don't think we should go down this path. (This thread seemed to indicate that perfection isn't necessary: viewtopic.php?t=7928.)

I would be very grateful for any thoughts. I also have a question about neurofeedback and will post that separately.

Thank you very much!
Hello Emurray,

Welcome! Thank you for joining our site and posting in our forum. I am so glad you are finding it helpful and informative. I am so sorry about your mothers loss. I am sure this journey has been a very difficult one for your family and specially, for your father.

This site, as you already noticed, has a wealth of information. It is a very supportive community, sharing resources and experiences. Your initiative of getting him tested for the Apoe4 status is a very good start and that in itself can give you some answers regarding the best decisions you and your sister can make to support him. I find myself in a similar situation regarding my father, as I have noticed progressive cognitive decline, and yes..I am very anxious about testing him. Your experience and questions resonate with me.

I am sure other members will post answers to your questions.

As a welcome intern, I would like to point out some links that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies. The information in the primer can also help you with your question about diet.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-To Guide.
This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

If your are interested in learning more about other members that might have similar experiences check outOur Stories.

Your dedication to learn more to help your father with bring forth much benefit to his health. I look forward to hearing form you soon.

Warm regards,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyZ »

Emurray wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 am Hello - Thanks for this wonderful forum. I've learned a lot already just by reading others' experiences and perspectives.

Hello Emurray,

Welcome to the group and thank you for sharing a bit about your father. My condolences for the loss of your mother in 2018. The love you and your sister have for your father and your curiosity in looking for ways to slow or possibly reverse changes you both see, will serve you well as you navigate these waters.

Your concerns about next steps to help your father are understandable. Your asking about the Bredesen protocol leads me to think that you have done some research on the subject. Dr. Bredesen has written three books that you may already know about. His book The End of Alzheimer's Program describes the program in depth and it can be used as a guide to follow. As you said, trying to DIY might prove difficult on your own. The guidance from a ReCODE 2.0 trained practitioner who is trained in implementing the Bredesen Protocol could help you pin point what to focus on.

Socializing has been shown to strengthen brain health and there are ways to navigate the food that goes along with that and follow pretty closely the food recommendations in the KetoFLEX 12/3 nutrition plan. I stick pretty closely to the plan and am able to enjoy meals out with family and friends with a few tweaks that the servers are happy to oblige. A few indulgences may or may not hurt, and he may decide what is best for him after following the program for a while.

You and your sister may want to set up a group chat with Apollo to learn more about their program. https://www.apollohealthco.com/

I wish you all the best as you support your dad.

In gratitude,
SandyZ
SandyZ
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Emurray wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 am
So part of why I am thinking that we should marshal our resources and pay for Apollo is that I do not know if we have the time to do it ourselves. But I welcome any reactions to this.

Thank you very much!
Hi Emurray, in response you your second question, in my opinion, following a ketogenic diet (or whatever diet you decide is best) most of the time or even some the time is better than following it none of the time! Occasionally deviating from a food plan does not undo the good of following it. In fact, if your father is able to follow a ketogenic diet, it may actually be helpful to cycle out and have days of eating more carbohydrates.

As for the other question, I believe that signing up for a ReCODE account with Apollo Health is a good value and very helpful if you can afford it. A ReCODE Report will help your dad, you, and your sister and any practitioner you work with to prioritize steps towards improving his cognitive health. The subscription also gives you access to a lot of resources.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Emurray wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 am A bit of background. My dad (73, overweight, but in generally in good physical condition including regular exercise) was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment two years ago. He lives alone following my mom's death in 2018. Lately, his cognition has clearly worsened. My sister and I are worried, and my dad is too (although his cognition is such that he is not able to notice and understand the differences as well as my sister and I do).
Do you know what your dad's ApoE status is? Has he ever been tested for Diabetes? How overweight is he?
Sonoma Mike
4/4