Apoe4 testing

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
winnk01
New User
New User

Apoe4 testing

Post by winnk01 »

I have been unable to verify that 23 and Me includes your APOE status on their test. Has anyone used them recently for this?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Apoe4 testing

Post by Tincup »

winnk01 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:30 am I have been unable to verify that 23 and Me includes your APOE status on their test. Has anyone used them recently for this?
My 23andMe is old, but I can affirm they test for these SNPs: rs429358 & rs7412. Once you've gotten your results and set up and account. You can click on your name (at least on a computer - haven't tried on a phone) and choose "search raw data" Then you can put (one at a time) the SNPs and see the results. From that you can look at the table here and figure it out. You don't need the expensive 23andMe version to do this. You will match up two pairs of results. You can also download the raw file and put it into a program like Promethease and it will tell you the answer (there are other programs you can do this with the raw data, also). I've done all of the above, along with two blood tests, all with the same result.

Code: Select all

rs429358	rs7412	Name
C		T	ε1
T		T	ε2
T		C	ε3
C		C	ε4
Other info:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page# ... _E4_status
viewtopic.php?p=15616#p15616
Tincup
E3,E4
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

winnk01 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:30 am I have been unable to verify that 23 and Me includes your APOE status on their test. Has anyone used them recently for this?
Hello, Winnk01!

Thanks so much for your post. Many of our members, including myself, have obtained their ApoE status from 23&me. The basic Ancestry & Traits test does not provide that information, however. To get your ApoE status you need to choose the Health & Ancestry or 23&Me+Memberhship options. There are many testing options available and we don't recommend any particular test. You may find this list of 23&me testing options useful: https://www.23andme.com/compare-dna-tests/. Posts from other members may also provide other testing options. It appears that one of our moderators, Tincup, has replied with additional insights into ApoE testing.
Tincup wrote: My 23andMe is old, but I can affirm they test for these SNPs: rs429358 & rs7412. Once you've gotten your results and set up and account. You can click on your name (at least on a computer - haven't tried on a phone) and choose "search raw data" Then you can put (one at a time) the SNPs and see the results. From that you can look at the table here and figure it out. You don't need the expensive 23andMe version to do this. You will match up two pairs of results. You can also download the raw file and put it into a program like Promethease and it will tell you the answer (there are other programs you can do this with the raw data, also). I've done all of the above, along with two blood tests, all with the same result.
CODE: SELECT ALL

rs429358 rs7412 Name
C T ε1
T T ε2
T C ε3
C C ε4
Other info:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page# ... _E4_status
viewtopic.php?p=15616#p15616
Additionally, the WIKI page, Thinking About Testing, may provide some pertinent information.

As a welcome intern on this forum, I am here to make sure you get your questions answered and have access to the information you need. If you're not already familiar with it, the Primer is a wealth of information. Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes,
Kathleen
slowyogasal
New User
New User

Post by slowyogasal »

Hello, I am new to this forum and with both parents already suffering from AD or D, I have already had my Genes sequenced by 23&me and was about to search for a company which will do the further testing required for the ApoE4 genes. I had my raw data and was all set to go. However, I was distinctly put off by the 23&me disclaimer which informed me that I would have to be VERY careful and check very thoroughly, the data storage and GPDR of any company who offered to do this for me. They could not recommend anyone who would do this.
I suppose this is to be expected. Please could anyone recommend somewhere in the UK who does this and failing that, someone anywhere else?
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NataliaReyn »

slowyogasal wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:48 am Hello, I am new to this forum and with both parents already suffering from AD or D, I have already had my Genes sequenced by 23&me and was about to search for a company which will do the further testing required for the ApoE4 genes. I had my raw data and was all set to go. However, I was distinctly put off by the 23&me disclaimer which informed me that I would have to be VERY careful and check very thoroughly, the data storage and GPDR of any company who offered to do this for me. They could not recommend anyone who would do this.
I suppose this is to be expected. Please could anyone recommend somewhere in the UK who does this and failing that, someone anywhere else?
Welcome to our forum, slowyogasal!

So sorry to hear about your parents. It must be incredibly challenging but hopefully you're getting some much needed support. This community is always here for you as well. I also want to acknowledge your courage to learn your own status, reaching out for information, and start taking action to prevent cognitive decline.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

If you ordered the Health & Ancestry version of the test, which is approved for sale in the UK, you can find the results by clicking on the drop down menu under your 23&me™ user name icon and selecting Browse Raw Data, and then enter rs429358 and write down what is shown, and then rs7412 and write that down. The combinations of those two alleles (or variants) can be interpreted using this link:
snpedia: ApoE alleles

If you only ordered the Ancestry kit, but feel comfortable using 23&me™ , there is a sale until March 20 for UK Health & Ancestry kits for £109 at https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/

If you are interested in exploring our site further, you may find this additional information helpful.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Two more tips to improve your experience here:
  • If you want to Search for posts on a specific topic, you can use the text box labeled "Search" right under your user name and enter those specific terms.
  • To be sure a forum member is notified of your post, just click use the large quotation mark icon in the upper right corner of they post.
Wishing you hope, strength, and perseverance, slowyogasal!

Warmly,
Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach