High LDL-P/ApoB with absence of plaque

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

High LDL-P/ApoB with absence of plaque

Post by Robin2038 »

Hi all
I recently had a CTA with contrast and my coronary calcium score was 0. I am a 60 YO woman who is metabolically healthy and otherwise doing great. I am apoe 3/4. My lipids are always around 170 LDL, 110 HDL, and 50 triglycerides. I am Type A (large particle size).

I eat a KetoFlex type diet 90% of the time and fast 14-16 hours. I seem to be somehow protected from plaque build up—so far— and i know some people so not have heart disease despite high LDL particle numbers. I wonder if this means some saturated fats are NOT damaging for me and i shouldn’t worry about eating some grass fed beef and full fat dairy? I LOVE cream and cheese.. thoughts??? I’m concerned about my cognition but it seems most sensitive to carbs. If I’m not getting plaque buildup in my arteries is it similarly true its not a concern for my brain?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: High LDL-P/ApoB with absence of plaque

Post by NF52 »

Robin2038 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:22 am Hi all
I recently had a CTA with contrast and my coronary calcium score was 0. I am a 60 YO woman who is metabolically healthy and otherwise doing great. I am apoe 3/4. My lipids are always around 170 LDL, 110 HDL, and 50 triglycerides. I am Type A (large particle size).

I eat a KetoFlex type diet 90% of the time and fast 14-16 hours. I seem to be somehow protected from plaque build up—so far— and i know some people so not have heart disease despite high LDL particle numbers. I wonder if this means some saturated fats are NOT damaging for me and i shouldn’t worry about eating some grass fed beef and full fat dairy? I LOVE cream and cheese.. thoughts??? I’m concerned about my cognition but it seems most sensitive to carbs. If I’m not getting plaque buildup in my arteries is it similarly true its not a concern for my brain?
Hi Robin,

Congratulations on having a healthy, happy heart and coronary arteries! Like you, I had a coronary artery scan at age 65, since my dad died of cardiac arrest within a year after quadruple bypass surgery at age 67. It was great to know that that coronary score of zero was interpreted by the docs as "cardiac age 39". You may also have a 39 year old heart!

I think views of grass fed beef and full fat dairy vary--as do the results of eating them! Since your KetoFlex diet is working for you, why not go ahead and experiment? You can re-do labs periodically.

Arterial plaque is made up of deposits of fatty substances, cholesterol, cellular waste products, calcium, and fibrin. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... osclerosis

Plaques in the brain refers to amyloid beta plaques. Here's a somewhat detailed explanation of why some researchers believe that amyloid beta plaques are a key biomarker of Alzheimer's disease, although their role is still open to much debate. They can be seen on PET scans and measured in blood plasma, although both currently are only used in clinical trials of anti-amyloid drugs or to confirm an Alzheimer's diagnosis.
Amyloid plaques form when pieces of protein called beta-amyloid aggregate. The beta-amyloid is produced when a much larger protein referred to as the amyloid precurosr protein (APP) is broken down. APP...is cleaved by two enzymes to produce beta-amyloid..., producing beta-amyloid pieces that may be made up of 38, 40 or 42 amino acids. The beta-amyloid composed of 42 amino acids is chemically “stickier” than the other lengths and therefore is more likely to form plaques...

How beta-amyloid causes toxic damage to nerve cells is not quite clear, but some research suggests that it may split into fragments and release free radicals, which then attack neurons. Another theory is that the beta-amyloid forms tiny holes in neuronal membranes, which leads to an unregulated influx of calcium that can cause neuronal death. Regardless of the exact pathological process through which beta-amyloid causes neuronal damage, the result is that neurons die.

Plaques then form that are made up of a mixture of these degenerating neurons and the beta-amyloid aggregates. These plaques cannot be broken down and removed by the body, so they gradually accumulate in the brain,...which is thought to contribute to a number of neurodegenerative diseases.
What are Amyloid Plaques?

People with ApoE4 appear to be more likely to have amyloid plaques in their brain, although studies suggest that the earliest formation of plaques may not lead to Alzheimer's at all, and is a slow process of 10-20 year before any observable signs of cognitive impairment would be evident. Someone with one copy of ApoE4, like you, would be unlikely to have a significant amount of amyloid plaque at age 60.

Enjoy your 60's: I found them to be a great decade!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks for the response it was quite a bit of helpful information! I think I explained my question incorrectly.. I understand that by experimenting with saturated fats i can lower my LDL—I’ve done that in the past. I guess I’m asking a more nuanced question; does it matter if i lower it or not because it is not causing any harm to my heart or is there another mechanism I’m missing? And how does the saturated fat impact my cognition assuming my heart is healthy? Could my other genes be protective along with my mostly very healthy lifestyle ? For example, I’m CETP GG which could be protective and responsible for my high HDL? I’ve seen varied outcomes on this in studies but they are focusing on heart health not cognition. Hope this makes sense!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Tincup wrote:.
Robin2038 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:19 am Thanks for the response it was quite a bit of helpful information! I think I explained my question incorrectly.. I understand that by experimenting with saturated fats i can lower my LDL—I’ve done that in the past. I guess I’m asking a more nuanced question; does it matter if i lower it or not because it is not causing any harm to my heart or is there another mechanism I’m missing? And how does the saturated fat impact my cognition assuming my heart is healthy? Could my other genes be protective along with my mostly very healthy lifestyle ? For example, I’m CETP GG which could be protective and responsible for my high HDL? I’ve seen varied outcomes on this in studies but they are focusing on heart health not cognition. Hope this makes sense!
Hi Robin,

I'm going to "copy in" Tincup, one of our founding members and a guy who knows a lot about hearts and LDL, for his take on this. FWIW, I think it's wise at age 60 to plan for your heart working great for another 40 years--in which case too much saturated fat seems like something that could affect both your coronary arteries and your brain vasculature.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Great thanks!! And agree.. better safe than sorry but I do love that heavy cream!!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi Robin2038,

How are your fasting glucose and insulin numbers? Saturated fat will have an impact on your risk for diabetes.
https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/11/17/f ... -diabetes/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

My fasting glucose and insulin are good. Thanks for the link I’ll check it out!