Supplements for Apoe 4/4 woman in her 30s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
cdaniel
Contributor
Contributor

Supplements for Apoe 4/4 woman in her 30s

Post by cdaniel »

Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if I've missed a previous post about this or if I'm asking a question in a wrong group. I recently found out that I am Apoe 4/4 and have been doing research about supplements that would be good to take, along with lifestyle changes. It seems most of the research has been done on people already expressing symptoms and not before. For instance, supplements that seem to show they help reduce microglia activation which would help in brains that already have build up, would they be also good for younger brains that may or may not be having that issue yet. It's unclear to me if reducing microglia activation at an early stage would have positive or negative longterm impacts understanding that they do play a role in clearing the brain. It could be that I have a misunderstanding about this issue as well. I would love to hear from anyone who has been doing similar research on this.

Supplements I've started taking:
- Curcumin
- Urolithin a
- B12
- Folate
- Choline
- Taurine
- D3
- DHA

Supplements I've considered but unsure if they would be helpful at this stage:
- Luteolin
- EGCg (green tea extract)
- Forskolin

So happy to find this forum. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Supplements for Apoe 4/4 woman in her 30s

Post by Kmlseattle »

cdaniel wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:42 am Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if I've missed a previous post about this or if I'm asking a question in a wrong group. I recently found out that I am Apoe 4/4 and have been doing research about supplements that would be good to take, along with lifestyle changes. It seems most of the research has been done on people already expressing symptoms and not before. For instance, supplements that seem to show they help reduce microglia activation which would help in brains that already have build up, would they be also good for younger brains that may or may not be having that issue yet. It's unclear to me if reducing microglia activation at an early stage would have positive or negative longterm impacts understanding that they do play a role in clearing the brain. It could be that I have a misunderstanding about this issue as well. I would love to hear from anyone who has been doing similar research on this.

Welcome cdaniel!

My name is Kathleen and I am a welcome intern on this forum. I'm here to welcome you and make sure you have access to the resources that may help provide answers to your questions. This community is a wealth and information and support and I am confident you will find it of great use.

Learning you are Apeo 4/4 can be difficult. It sure seems like you have already done a lot of research in that area. You may find additional information about supplements in the Prevention and Treatment area of our site. If you're on Facebook our page there, apoe4.info, is a great way to find or start a conversation about supplements. Please bear in mind that individuals will resond individually to any treatment. What works for one person, may not work in the same way for you.

I'd like to bring your attention to some links that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies. The information in the primer can also help you with your question about lifestyle change and supplementation.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-To Guide.
This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

Our WIKI page is searchable and provides data about specific supplements. I hope that you continue to post here and share your findings and experiences as well as learning those of other members.

If your are interested in learning more about other members that might have similar experiences check out Our Stories.

Your obvious love of learning and interest in researching options will benefit your health. I look forward to hearing form you soon.

Warmly,
Kathleen
shellymalek
New User
New User

Post by shellymalek »

So I’m in the same boat and my doctor went ahead and out me in Namenda for prevention of Alzheimer’s. She said I don’t break down the glutamate in my brain and that this will help me feel better and prevent the onset of the disease. I scored a 100 on cognitive testing but w genetics and family history in the toilet she felt this was a good course of action to take.
cdaniel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cdaniel »

Thank you for the reply! My doctor only encouraged lifestyle changes with APOE4/4 at this age. I'm not sure about family background due to early deaths of other causes. I was hoping to find some research about APOE in younger brains and supplements that could help, but haven't found anything yet.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

cdaniel wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:51 am My doctor only encouraged lifestyle changes with APOE4/4 at this age. I'm not sure about family background due to early deaths of other causes. I was hoping to find some research about APOE in younger brains and supplements that could help, but haven't found anything yet.
Hi cdaniel! First, overall, I think that your doctor's approach is actually a good one. For someone your age, living in a way that minimizes your risk makes sense. This would include being sure that you maintain insulin sensitivity, perhaps moving towards a more ketogenic diet, if that agrees with you, but at least cutting out refined carbs, eating whole foods, and keeping your HbA1c safely below the pre-diabetic range, getting good sleep, minimizing exposure to toxins, getting plenty of fresh air and exercise, staying socially engaged and continuing to challenge your brain. On top of that, you can add some supplements, but, in my opinion, the healthy lifestyle will take your farther than any pill. As Kathleen suggested in her welcome to you, I encourage you to read the Primer. It will help you understand the importance of lifestyle changes that you can make now to support your longterm cognitive health.
It also has a list of blood tests that you might use to guide our supplementation. For example, if your homocysteine is high, that would be a reason to experiment with adding methylated B Vitamins. If it is fine with what you are doing now, you wouldn't need to make any change.
One comment I have on your supplements is that a common recommendation is that if you are taking D3 you also supplement with 100 mcg of K2.

Best wishes,
floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
cdaniel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cdaniel »

floramaria wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:33 pm
cdaniel wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:51 am My doctor only encouraged lifestyle changes with APOE4/4 at this age. I'm not sure about family background due to early deaths of other causes. I was hoping to find some research about APOE in younger brains and supplements that could help, but haven't found anything yet.
Hi cdaniel! First, overall, I think that your doctor's approach is actually a good one. For someone your age, living in a way that minimizes your risk makes sense. This would include being sure that you maintain insulin sensitivity, perhaps moving towards a more ketogenic diet, if that agrees with you, but at least cutting out refined carbs, eating whole foods, and keeping your HbA1c safely below the pre-diabetic range, getting good sleep, minimizing exposure to toxins, getting plenty of fresh air and exercise, staying socially engaged and continuing to challenge your brain. On top of that, you can add some supplements, but, in my opinion, the healthy lifestyle will take your farther than any pill. As Kathleen suggested in her welcome to you, I encourage you to read the Primer. It will help you understand the importance of lifestyle changes that you can make now to support your longterm cognitive health.
It also has a list of blood tests that you might use to guide our supplementation. For example, if your homocysteine is high, that would be a reason to experiment with adding methylated B Vitamins. If it is fine with what you are doing now, you wouldn't need to make any change.
One comment I have on your supplements is that a common recommendation is that if you are taking D3 you also supplement with 100 mcg of K2.

Best wishes,
floramaria

Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful!
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

cdaniel wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:42 am Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if I've missed a previous post about this or if I'm asking a question in a wrong group. I recently found out that I am Apoe 4/4 and have been doing research about supplements that would be good to take, along with lifestyle changes.

Welcome to the group. The most important lifestyle change you can do is eliminate sources of aluminum as aluminum is a major causal factor of Alzheimer's. The good news is you can remove aluminum from your body by drinking silica rich mineral water (Fiji, Volvic, Acilis for example). I am APOE 3/4. My mother in law (APOE3/4) has late onset Alzheimer's and my husband (Dennis N Crouse) who is a chemist for the past 10 years has been researching ways to help his mother. He achieved his goal. Last week she celebrated her 96th birthday. What my husband learned compelled him to write an evidenced based book. He has now written 4 books. I have a few posts in this forum - search aluminum. Here is a link to a list of sources of aluminum we are exposed to on a regular basis. If you want more information we have blogs on blogger, facebook pages and a facebook group. Sources of aluminum https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... -aluminum/ Aluminum as a causal factor of Alzheimer's, chapter from one of the books https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... imers.html Information on APOE 4 and aluminum https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... causation/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse