Exercise as Top Treatment

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Exercise as Top Treatment

Post by Plumster »

Comparing AD to depression:
Abstract
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a complex neurodegenerative disorder that affects multiple brain regions and is difficult to treat. In this study we used 22 AD large-scale gene expression datasets to identify a consistent underlying portrait of AD gene expression across multiple brain regions. Then we used the portrait as a platform for identifying treatments that could reverse AD dysregulated expression patterns. Enrichment of dysregulated AD genes included multiple processes, ranging from cell adhesion to CNS development. The three most dysregulated genes in the AD portrait were the inositol trisphosphate kinase, ITPKB (upregulated), the astrocyte specific intermediate filament protein, GFAP (upregulated), and the rho GTPase, RHOQ (upregulated). 41 of the top AD dysregulated genes were also identified in a recent human AD GWAS study, including PNOC, C4B, and BCL11A. 42 transcription factors were identified that were both dysregulated in AD and that in turn affect expression of other AD dysregulated genes. Male and female AD portraits were highly congruent. Out of over 250 treatments, three datasets for exercise or activity were identified as the top three theoretical treatments for AD via reversal of large-scale gene expression patterns. Exercise reversed expression patterns of hundreds of AD genes across multiple categories, including cytoskeleton, blood vessel development, mitochondrion, and interferon-stimulated related genes. Exercise also ranked as the best treatment across a majority of individual region-specific AD datasets and meta-analysis AD datasets. Fluoxetine also scored well and a theoretical combination of fluoxetine and exercise reversed 549 AD genes. Other positive treatments included curcumin. Comparisons of the AD portrait to a recent depression portrait revealed a high congruence of downregulated genes in both. Together, the AD portrait provides a new platform for understanding AD and identifying potential treatments for AD.
Open-access article is here.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Exercise as Top Treatment

Post by Fc1345linville »

Good to hear this, Plumster!
Many of you probably are tired of hearing this, but I am an 80 yr old 4/4 who has been exercising for an hour or more almost every day for the last 50 years. I get eight hours of sleep, have a healthy diet, and perhaps most importantly, I enjoy every aspect of those routines. So far so good!

FC
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Exercise as Top Treatment

Post by NF52 »

Fc1345linville wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:38 pm Good to hear this, Plumster!
Many of you probably are tired of hearing this, but I am an 80 yr old 4/4 who has been exercising for an hour or more almost every day for the last 50 years. I get eight hours of sleep, have a healthy diet, and perhaps most importantly, I enjoy every aspect of those routines. So far so good!

FC
So happy to hear you are enjoying all of these things--and life! As a fellow 4/4, I want to be like you when I "grow up to be 80"--in 10 years!
4/4 and still an optimist!