New APOE 4 plus kidney disease

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Maggie60
New User
New User

New APOE 4 plus kidney disease

Post by Maggie60 »

Hi, great to have found this forum. I am 62 year old female . I found out I am heterozygous APOE 4 from 23 and Me. I was not totally surprised as my father had Alzheimers and two of his siblings have/ had dementia of some kind.

I thought I would get a diabetes and cholesterol check done . In fact blood sugar was normal but cholesterol very high. LDL very high and HDL ok but on the lower side. I also discovered I have Stage 3a kidney disease This was a bigger shock.

I suspect the GP will prescribe statins and from what I have managed to read statins would not be a bad option as far as APOE 4 goes, but I may be wrong about this.

More concerning at present is the kidney disease. I am waiting for an appointment with doctor to discuss.

If there are conflicts with APOE4 management and kidney disease management , I am assuming I should prioritise the kidneys. I have concluded that I may not live long enough for Alzheimers to be an issue anyway. Maggie
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New APOE 4 plus kidney disease

Post by TLS »

Hi Maggie,
I think you can do both if it is diet you are concerned about. I would suggest tailoring the recommended kidney diet to the APOE 4 diet, I bet there will be a lot of overlap between the two. Once you get the guidelines from your doctor you can review it against this site's wiki.
apoe 3/4
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

Maggie60 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:30 am Hi, great to have found this forum. I am 62 year old female . I found out I am heterozygous APOE 4 from 23 and Me. I was not totally surprised as my father had Alzheimers and two of his siblings have/ had dementia of some kind.

I thought I would get a diabetes and cholesterol check done . In fact blood sugar was normal but cholesterol very high. LDL very high and HDL ok but on the lower side. I also discovered I have Stage 3a kidney disease This was a bigger shock.

I suspect the GP will prescribe statins and from what I have managed to read statins would not be a bad option as far as APOE 4 goes, but I may be wrong about this.

More concerning at present is the kidney disease. I am waiting for an appointment with doctor to discuss.

If there are conflicts with APOE4 management and kidney disease management , I am assuming I should prioritise the kidneys. I have concluded that I may not live long enough for Alzheimers to be an issue anyway. Maggie
Welcome to the forum, Maggie60.

TLS has made a great suggestion of combining the ApoE4 diet with whatever kidney diet your practitioner recommends. You may want to work with a health coach to navigate these changes to your diet. You can find a list of ApoE4-aware coaches here. I suspect you will find more responses from our community pop up over time.

As a welcome intern on this forum, I'd like to make sure you are aware of the resources available to you. I, too, am a heterozygous APOE 4. My mother is currently suffering with dementia.

First of all, the Primer is a great place to educate yourself about AD. It provides scientific background as well as preventative measures. It is authored by Stavia, a member, physician and a carrier of two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele.

Additionally, the WIKI is a searchable compendium of many topics related to AD.

If you'd like, you're welcome to view the Our Stories page, on which you can learn the experiences of other members. I'd encourage you to contribute your story as well, since this community thrives on sharing our individual experiences.

Finally, there is also an ApoE4 Info group on Facebook, where you may find additional responses to your questions.

Whatever your need for information or support, I am confident you will find it in this community. Please feel free to post any additional questions. Thank you for sharing your story and welcome!

Warmly,
Kathleen
Maggie60
New User
New User

Post by Maggie60 »

Many thanks, I am just trying to process everything.