Beer hops compounds could help protect against Alzheimer’s disease

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Greyhound
Contributor
Contributor

Beer hops compounds could help protect against Alzheimer’s disease

Post by Greyhound »

I particularly like a local non-alcoholic beer called Le Bockale which has a grapefruit flavour and I doubt it is the same.
This is the type of story I like to read and hope you also like it.

"Peer-Reviewed Publication

American Chemical Society

Beer is one of the oldest and most popular beverages in the world, with some people loving and others hating the distinct, bitter taste of the hops used to flavor its many varieties. But an especially “hoppy” brew might have unique health benefits. Recent research published in ACS Chemical Neuroscience reports that chemicals extracted from hop flowers can, in lab dishes, inhibit the clumping of amyloid beta proteins, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease (AD).

AD is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease, often marked by memory loss and personality changes in older adults. Part of the difficulty in treating the disease is the time lag between the start of underlying biochemical processes and the onset of symptoms, with several years separating them. This means that irreversible damage to the nervous system occurs before one even realizes they may have the disease. Accordingly, preventative strategies and therapeutics that can intervene before symptoms appear are of increasing interest.

One of these strategies involves “nutraceuticals,” or foods that have some type of medicinal or nutritional function. The hop flowers used to flavor beers have been explored as one of these potential nutraceuticals, with previous studies suggesting that the plant could interfere with the accumulation of amyloid beta proteins associated with AD. So, Cristina Airoldi, Alessandro Palmioli and colleagues wanted to investigate which chemical compounds in hops had this effect.

To identify these compounds, the researchers created and characterized extracts of four common varieties of hops using a method similar to that used in the brewing process. In tests, they found that the extracts had antioxidant properties and could prevent amyloid beta proteins from clumping in human nerve cells. The most successful extract was from the Tettnang hop, found in many types of lagers and lighter ales. When that extract was separated into fractions, the one containing a high level of polyphenols showed the most potent antibiotic and aggregation-inhibiting activity. It also promoted processes that allow the body to clear out misfolded, neurotoxic proteins. Finally, the team tested the Tettnang extract in a C. elegans model and found that it protected the worms from AD-related paralysis, though the effect was not very pronounced. The researchers say that although this work may not justify drinking more bitter brews, it shows that hop compounds could serve as the basis for nutraceuticals that combat the development of AD.

The authors acknowledge funding from the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MUR).

The American Chemical Society (ACS) is a nonprofit organization chartered by the U.S. Congress. ACS’ mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and all its people. The Society is a global leader in promoting excellence in science education and providing access to chemistry-related information and research through its multiple research solutions, peer-reviewed journals, scientific conferences, eBooks and weekly news periodical Chemical & Engineering News. ACS journals are among the most cited, most trusted and most read within the scientific literature; however, ACS itself does not conduct chemical research. As a leader in scientific information solutions, its CAS division partners with global innovators to accelerate breakthroughs by curating, connecting and analyzing the world’s scientific knowledge. ACS’ main offices are in Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

To automatically receive news releases from the American Chemical Society, contact newsroom@acs.org.

Follow us: Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Instagram
Journal

ACS Chemical Neuroscience
DOI

10.1021/acschemneuro.2c00444
Article Title

“Alzheimer’s Disease Prevention through Natural Compounds: Cell-Free, In Vitro, and In Vivo Dissection of Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) Multitarget Activity”

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/970332
:idea:
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Beer hops compounds could help protect against Alzheimer’s disease

Post by TheresaB »

The polyphenols in the Tettnang hop may offer some benefit, but given alcohol is not a friend of ApoE4s, nor are carbs nor is gluten, in the aggregate I don't think beer is such a good idea for us.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Maybe drinking beer is not a good option, but there are hop supplements available. I remember hearing a few years ago that hops were especially good for menopausal women, and sleep issues. I didn't pursue it then, but maybe I'll try a supplement containing hops and see if it makes a difference. What's one more supplement? lol
Greyhound
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greyhound »

"Tettnang hop, found in many types of lagers and lighter ales"
So we all know alcohol is not good for ones health so what I will do is to look for some lagers and lighter ales that are zero alcohol and still enjoy a beverage.
"Some popular beer styles that make use of the Tettnang (US) hop include Wheat, Lager & Pilsner"
https://beermaverick.com/hop/tettnang-us/
So all I have to do is look for zero alcohol lager or Pilsner which should not be to difficult to find.
I will look at my specialty corner grocer next time I go.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

TheresaB wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 am The polyphenols in the Tettnang hop may offer some benefit, but given alcohol is not a friend of ApoE4s, nor are carbs nor is gluten, in the aggregate I don't think beer is such a good idea for us.
I thought of another consideration for any ApoE4 who may think beer could be beneficial. Most beers are made with ingredients that have been grown with the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers. This includes glyphosate.

According to our own ApoE4 wiki, Gut-Brain Connection: Leaky Gut/Leaky Brain, Microbiome (gut bugs) glyphosate impacts up to half of the species of microorganisms in the human gut microbiome, it also increases gluten sensitivity (most beers contain gluten), and both these conditions break down the intestinal barrier.

There is a very strong gut-brain connection (both physically and biochemically connected), there are 500 million neurons in the gut, and it is becoming increasingly recognized that an unhealthy gut plays a pivotal role in various health issues including neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s Disease, one of the health conditions for which ApoE4s are at greater risk.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Greyhound
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greyhound »

Fertilizers are used in just about all farming even organic. There are standards for residues and farmers know they have to meet inspection standards or buyers will not accept them as they are also concerned. Pesticides are almost unavoidable and there is a limit to organic growing which I prefer. The beer that I drink is an IPA Indian Pale Ale by a local brewer which I have to ask about the hops as it could be the right variety.
https://www.lfl.bayern.de/mam/cms07/ipz ... sidues.pdf
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Greyhound wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:58 pm Fertilizers are used in just about all farming even organic. There are standards for residues and farmers know they have to meet inspection standards or buyers will not accept them as they are also concerned. Pesticides are almost unavoidable and there is a limit to organic growing which I prefer. The beer that I drink is an IPA Indian Pale Ale by a local brewer which I have to ask about the hops as it could be the right variety.
https://www.lfl.bayern.de/mam/cms07/ipz ... sidues.pdf
You seem to have become defensive at my posts in this thread. I have not directed my comments at you. I am not challenging your individual research or choices, you can drink or eat whatever you want. I commented in this open, public thread. ApoE4s have unique health peculiarities that most do not possess and we have few places to discuss concerns. ApoE4.info was established in 2013 to collect and share information to save the lives and health of all who come here looking for help and hope. If something is posted that could be perceived as counterproductive to ApoE4 well-being, recognize that the subject could (should!) be challenged so other Apo4s can make their own decisions. I see you only joined earlier this year, over the years we’ve had some pretty spicy debates in certain threads, but aimed at the subject-matter, not the person.

Regarding your comments on standards, the government has set many standards but whether such standards are acceptable is debatable. We’re all trying our best, but we can only do our best to set our own standards if we’re allowed to have open access to research and dialogue.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

“Alzheimer’s Disease Prevention through Natural Compounds: Cell-Free, In Vitro, and In Vivo Dissection of Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) Multitarget Activity”

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/970332
Fascinating, thanks for sharing, Greyhound. Your input is valued and welcome here. I found a recent paper that examines the MOA and possible benefits of hops on multiple diseases. They speak about bioavailability, suggesting that a supplement will probably offer the most benefit. Sadly, for those who enjoy an occasional beverage, this feels a bit like the red wine story.
paddleperson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by paddleperson »

Thanks Greyhound....hey if you find some commercially available N/A beers that fit the bill, i would be thankful if you shared to thread. Thanks!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I saw this response to a post on this study in the Official Bredesen Protocal Support Group on Facebook:
Rachel Owlglass
The study you’re referring to had nothing to do with beer or even directly with Alzheimer’s. The articles that suggest it did are irresponsible and inaccurate. Researchers in Italy put different plant extracts in petri dishes with proteins similar to those that form amyloid plaque to see if any affected protein clumping. Extracts from flowers from the plant Humulus lupulus (flowering hops) were one of the extracts that seemed to reduce clumping in the petri dish samples. That’s all.
It takes so many untenable leaps to go from that to “beer might prevent Alzheimer’s.” (A) The experiment used standardized fresh flower extracts. Beer uses dried hops. We don’t know that the compounds that reduced clumping even survive drying, let alone brewing. (B) It’s unlikely those compounds would exist in beer or ale in sufficient amounts to affect brain health. (Pure extracts are far stronger and more chemically stable.) (C) Even if they did, they probably wouldn’t cross the blood-brain barrier. (The anticlumping activity happened when the plant extract came in direct contact with the proteins.) (D) More and more research, including Dr. Bredesen’s, suggests that plaque, or protein clumping, isn’t the cause of Alzheimer’s, but, rather, that it’s the body’s response to protect the brain when disease has already set in. Things that prevent clumping may have no effect on Alzheimer’s symptoms whatsoever.
Popular science journalism has become as full of nonsensical clickbait as all other journalism.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4