DHA amounts

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: DHA amounts

Post by floramaria »

Lulu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 am Hi, I am not a frequent poster here, but I ran across something recently that may be of interest....
So I was amazed, when I once again went shopping for a superior krill oil, I found out about a new Krill oil product that has been developed by Aker BioMarine, called Lysoveta. It is Krill oil, harvested from Antarctica, and then put through a process (developed in collaboration with University of Illinois), which transforms it into lysophosphatidylcholine bound DHA / EPA.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8282213/
Hi Lulu, Thanks for posting this! I think it sounds like great news too.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

I apologise in advance if this is yeaterdays news but this article looks of interest to APOE4 carriers

Entorhinal thickness: A marker of DHA supplementation efficacy?

The entorhinal cortex (ERC) area in the brain is affected early in AD, particularly among APOE4 carriers. We previously reported a positive association between plasma phospholipid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) levels and the ERC thickness in the Aging Brain Program. We hypothesize that increases in plasma DHA after high-dose DHA supplementation protects against thinning of the ERC when started before cognitive impairment including in APOE4 carriers, and that ERC thickness can be a useful marker for DHA supplementation efficacy.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Just noticed this part of an NIH article on vegan diets: "Although it may be unlikely to happen, overconsumption of DHA-rich products must be avoided, as this may raise total and low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, cause prolonged bleeding, and reduce immunity (Craig 2009, 1629S; Geppert et al. 2005; Sanders et al. 2006)". I already have high cholesterol and high LDL (and high small particles) so I am concerned about that statement.

Here's the article (which I've just started reading, but stopped to write this post when I came across the above statement: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK396513/

I just started taking Nordic Naturals DHA (High Intensity Omega-3 DHA for brain and nervous system support) which gives me 960 mg DHA (Docosahexoenoic Axid) and 410 mg EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) for fourIt capsules, which I split during the day. It's purified deep sea fish oil from anchovies and sardines.

It's the only one I could find with close to 1000 mg DHA, which I was told (by JulieG, I believe) we apoe4's should be consuming. Is this right?

I get so stressed with all of my questions, as I've not found a Recode trained doctor in my area and do not have a source to go to. (Long story about a few whose front office people said they were Bredesen or Recode certified, but I came to find out they weren't....had just taken one seminar....) Then there is one who makes you pay over $6000 for a year's worth of care (gees, I already pay over $7000 a year for Medicare and my supplement) and I've seen one whom I did not like and whose staff cannot keep anything straight -- after five phone calls with different girls in her office, I still don't have a straight answer about some of the tests that doctor sent an order to Quest for, and there is no patient portal for me to ask this doctor directly. So I am not continuing to use her. This, mind you, after a $600 one hour office visit (to which I brought my labs, no labs done by her). I seem to keep getting questionable doctors. I don't know about the rest of you, but Medicare won't cover those office fees and not all of the tests, either.

I am SO at my wit's end to find ONE trained doctor here! So before more months and years go by, I now have to fly out to CA in Dec. and spend $900 to see Dr. Gersh (from Reversing Alzheimer's Summit) for bioidentical hormone replacement and low thyroid levels and I'm trying to also get an appointment with Dr. Ann Hathaway, the only two I seem to trust to handle these deficiencies. It is so expensive with air fare, car rentals, hotels and their high fees! And I also am fearful of flying what with the high flu cases and Covid still not in endemic numbers (even though I've had booster #3 and the high dose flu vaccine for us over 65).

Am I just in a bad area for Bredesen-trained doctors???? How did the rest of you find Bredesen trained doctors who are as knowledgeable as he is and, for example, Dr. Hathaway? I tried one OBGYN who is trained in bioidentical hormone replacement here, but she says things that go against what Dr. Gersh and Dr. Hathaway have said in town halls and the summit, so I don't want to do what she says.

Just writing this causes me such stress, as I have been trying to find someone I trust for five years here. Everything I do is kind of piecemeal. I just want one doctor to see who know what the Apollo experts know. I know I sound like a basket case (because my usual M.O. is to come here when I am stressed) but I just spent an entire summer not sleeping well due to the stress not having one source to guide me causes.

Help would be appreciated.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Lulu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 am Hi,

I am not a frequent poster here, but I ran across something recently that may be of interest. LPC DHA transports DHA / EPA through Mfsd2a across the selective Blood-Brain barrier. The studies show great benefit for this type of DHA, especially for Apoe4 carriers. However, as far as I know, you can't buy this type of DHA anywhere.

So I was amazed, when I once again went shopping for a superior krill oil, I found out about a new Krill oil product that has been developed by Aker BioMarine, called Lysoveta. It is Krill oil, harvested from Antarctica, and then put through a process (developed in collaboration with University of Illinois), which transforms it into lysophosphatidylcholine bound DHA / EPA. Aker BioMarine has recently signed an agreement with Trofi Nutritional Inc to develop medical foods and products based on Lysoveta, targeting Alzheimers, diabetes, infertility, dry eye drops, and also pre-natal supplements in the US. Commercialization is to begin by the end of 2022, and products available by 2024.

Anyone else hear about this? I'm thinking this is really great news!

This is interesting, Lulu. I noticed that the early sample reports from Dr. Goodenowe shared lysophosphatidylcholine amounts, but later results don't. For instance, this isn't reported in my scan. I wonder if others, who've gotten scans, can check to see if this is reported. Thanks.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:46 am I wonder if others, who've gotten scans, can check to see if this is reported.
Not in T's or mine.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Not in T's or mine.
But, we can guess that he has the data. He's only reporting a fraction of the metabolites he assesses in order to make a cogent report. He also acknowledged that because we're at the beginning of studying metabolites as they relate to brain health, we don't really know the important players... yet. Could this be one?
Zuben47
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zuben47 »

Lulu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 am Hi,

I am not a frequent poster here, but I ran across something recently that may be of interest. LPC DHA transports DHA / EPA through Mfsd2a across the selective Blood-Brain barrier. The studies show great benefit for this type of DHA, especially for Apoe4 carriers. However, as far as I know, you can't buy this type of DHA anywhere.

So I was amazed, when I once again went shopping for a superior krill oil, I found out about a new Krill oil product that has been developed by Aker BioMarine, called Lysoveta. It is Krill oil, harvested from Antarctica, and then put through a process (developed in collaboration with University of Illinois), which transforms it into lysophosphatidylcholine bound DHA / EPA. Aker BioMarine has recently signed an agreement with Trofi Nutritional Inc to develop medical foods and products based on Lysoveta, targeting Alzheimers, diabetes, infertility, dry eye drops, and also pre-natal supplements in the US. Commercialization is to begin by the end of 2022, and products available by 2024.

Anyone else hear about this? I'm thinking this is really great news!

Not only did I hear about this, but I first joined this website months ago to ask around if anyone knew about this. Glad to hear it is moving forward.
Zuben47
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zuben47 »

Regarding DHA, unfortunately the type found in fish oil supplements does not cross the blood brain barrier very well for people with APOE4. However, and this is the good news, the kind that come from fish itself, and is not processed, does seem to. So what I do, instead of fish oil supplements is eat a tin of sardines on most days, along with a krill oil supplement. From Dr. Rhonda Patrick:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6338661/

"APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements. The mechanisms behind this varied response remain unknown. I posit that the difference is that fish contain DHA in phospholipid form, whereas fish oil supplements do not. This influences whether DHA is metabolized to nonesterified DHA (free DHA) or a phospholipid form called lysophosphatidylcholine DHA (DHA-lysoPC). Free DHA is transported across the outer membrane leaflet of the blood–brain barrier (BBB) via passive diffusion, and DHA-lysoPC is transported across the inner membrane leaflet of the BBB via the major facilitator superfamily domain-containing protein 2A. I propose that APOE4 carriers have impaired brain transport of free DHA but not of DHA-lysoPC, as a consequence of a breakdown in the outer membrane leaflet of the BBB, putting them at increased risk for AD. Dietary sources of DHA in phospholipid form may provide a means to increase plasma levels of DHA-lysoPC, thereby decreasing the risk of AD."

Another useful breakdown of the key points:
https://podcastnotes.org/kevin-rose-sho ... -fish-oil/
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Does anyone know what form of DHA is found in algae?
Zuben47
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zuben47 »

Quantifier wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:47 pm Does anyone know what form of DHA is found in algae?
Excellent question. I will try to look into this a bit. My gut response is algae supplements are not processed the same way as fish oil or for the same reasons (to filter out heavy metals) so it DHA in those supplements is more likely to be present in its original, natural state. However, what that natural state is, I do not know.