Hello from an Assisted Living Homeowner

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from an Assisted Living Homeowner

Post by Windsurfer »

Hi,

I own 4 assisted living homes in the Phoenix, AZ area. I've been trying for a while to find a resident whose family would be willing to try the Bredesen Protocol. Recently we had one move in and signed her up. We are also working with A Mind for All Seasons, a rehab center in Boise, ID, to help us with the Bredesen journey.

If this works with our resident, I may invest in becoming a franchise partner with A Mind for All Seasons to turn my home into a Bredesen Protocol home. I would love to hear any advice or suggestions from other people who might be able to help me turn my assisted living homes into something wonderful for people!

Thanks everyone!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello from an Assisted Living Homeowner

Post by Plumster »

Windsurfer,

I don't have advice, but thank you for helping to make the Bredesen Protocol more mainstream!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windsurfer »

Thank you. I'll take all the support I can get!
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

That is such an amazing idea. Have you found Marama? It's a care home implementing the protocol. Dr Heather Sandison does zoom group calls about Marama at home. That might help you!
Good luck!
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I own 4 assisted living homes in the Phoenix, AZ area. I've been trying for a while to find a resident whose family would be willing to try the Bredesen Protocol. Recently we had one move in and signed her up. We are also working with A Mind for All Seasons, a rehab center in Boise, ID, to help us with the Bredesen journey.
Nice to see that you've moved forward with this, my friend. I do know of a family who just had their loved one kicked out of Marama because she was wandering. Apparently, she was able to get out unbeknownst to staff. Would this be something that you could manage given the family-style nature of your homes?
Windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windsurfer »

Julie G wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 am
Nice to see that you've moved forward with this, my friend. I do know of a family who just had their loved one kicked out of Marama because she was wandering. Apparently, she was able to get out unbeknownst to staff. Would this be something that you could manage given the family-style nature of your homes?
Hello Julie - I'm sorry but I just saw this. I would love to try to help them. I know Marama well. I went to their grand opening several years ago. I don't know if they are still looking but I want to help any way I can!
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

I am not familiar with Marama, but after eight years as a Volunteer Ombudsman at three different large Assisted Living Facilities, all of which include "memory units", residents diagnosed with dementia always live in secure environments. Numerical codes to open doors and elevators.

The State of Virginia Code, § 63.2-1802, requires a "Safe, secure environment for residents with serious cognitive impairments."

Fc
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi again Windsurfer
I wondered how you're getting on with the resident on the protocol?
I have a dream of one day opening just such a place in the UK.
I'm not in the care home business, but I am a Re:CODE health coach and I am trying to find people in the care industry in the UK who would be open to working this way, to work together with them.
It'd be great to hear more about your journey as you go along.
Keep us up to date with progress!
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach