Very Good Peter Attia podcast

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Very Good Peter Attia podcast

Post by broiler_x »

This was a really great podcast. I learned a few things, including 2 potential predictors of future Alzheimer's that I had never heard of before: 1) Acting out your dreams (like kicking and punching in your sleep) and, 2) loss of smell and taste. She said that these can appears a decade or more before cognitive decline. I've not further researched into this, so I'm not sure how true these claims are. But, I can say that my dad (who is 83 and is significantly starting to decline cognitively) lost his sense of smell and taste over 10 years ago. I had no idea that there was a possible connection.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

broiler_x wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:29 pm But, I can say that my dad (who is 83 and is significantly starting to decline cognitively) lost his sense of smell and taste over 10 years ago. I had no idea that there was a possible connection.
Same with my dad.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

SusanJ wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:36 pm
adriana268 wrote:do you mean you saw a status if tomm40 on your old 23 and me report ?
It's not in any reports. You have to click the "Browse Raw Data" in the dropdown menu under your name. Then put rs2075650 in the search box and read the results. "G" is the minor allele.
When you say "minor allele" are you saying that "G" is the non-protective version that is usually associated with ApoE4?
I just looked at mine, and it says I'm G/G.

It was certainly different to hear her say that they now know what to do with E4s... It is the E3s with family history of AD that are more difficult.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

mike wrote:When you say "minor allele" are you saying that "G" is the non-protective version that is usually associated with ApoE4?
The paper I cited earlier in this thread said "G" increases the risk.

Sorry, we all hope to win the genetic lottery to modify E4 effects, but sometimes don't. :cry:
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

In case anyone missed it, Rhonda Patrick was on his latest podcast ("The Drive"). They talked about a lot of things, but the majority was related to Alzheimer's. Podcast dated May 1, 2023.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I found rs2075650 in my raw data, but not rs12721046. Anyone know how to test for the latter?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

broiler_x wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:29 pm But, I can say that my dad (who is 83 and is significantly starting to decline cognitively) lost his sense of smell and taste over 10 years ago. I had no idea that there was a possible connection.
My father lost much of his sense of smell and taste in his early fifties. Now 90, he definitely has cognitive issues, but also a number of other factors in his life which probably contributed to brain problems.

So, a reminder that, like with many other indicators (e.g., APOE4 gene), if you have early loss of smell/taste, then you should be motivated to consult a qualified doctor and otherwise pursue dementia mitigating strategies. But it is not an indicator of definite doom.