Klotho - rs9536314

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Klotho - rs9536314

Post by Plumster »

Hi Kcomplex,

Like you, I would love to know but don't have access through my 2017 23andme raw data nor my Promethease. (Not tech savvy either.)
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Sorry to hear that the more current 23andme results do not give the klotho information. I did my genetic testing on 23andme several years ago, and uploaded that data to the promethease site again last year. I was able to easily get my klotho variant results this time, and thankfully, I have the protective heterzygous klotho variant. But I truly believe that whether you have the protective variant of Klotho or not, if you have a copy of Apoe4, you still need to pay close attention to optimal diet, exercise, sleep and stress in your life.

Lulu
Apoe 3/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Yeah, I just heard on a Peter Attia podcast that it can only be done with whole genome sequencing at this point, because no one has yet made a test for this SNP. It sounded like it might happen relatively soon though.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm Yeah, I just heard on a Peter Attia podcast that it can only be done with whole genome sequencing at this point, because no one has yet made a test for this SNP. It sounded like it might happen relatively soon though.
Hi Mike,

Yeah, I listened to the entire podcast, and heard Attia say this too. But I was scratching my head, because my klotho results were very clear on my promethease report. So, either Attia doesn't know about this, or the promethease report is flawed. Interesting.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

This is a very encouraging article regarding Klotho. Whether you have the protective variant or not, you can increase upregulation of Klotho by aerobic exercise (intermittent or continuous).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6143843/

"In conclusion, the present results suggest that exercise could delay aging and extend life span by increasing the expression of the Klotho gene in rat brain and kidney tissues. Increased Klotho protein expression is beneficial for the elimination of ROS damage to the body, delaying aging and improving various body functions. These findings support as association among the Klotho gene, aerobic exercise and aging. As Klotho exhibits a potential anti-aging effect, promoting Klotho expression through aerobic exercise may be a novel approach for the prevention and treatment of aging and aging-related diseases. In addition, these results provide support for physical exercise being good for health"
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

kcomplex wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:45 pm Hello and pleased to meet you.

I'm APOE 4/4 and I'm interested to know if anyone in this group managed to find a genetic testing service that definitely covers rs9536314's genotype because 23andme used has stopped for some stupid reason and I can't gain access to the information needed in my raw data.

20% of apoe4 carriers are protected by some versions of this gene so I think it's pretty important to know whether one is one of them and how to find out. Hope someone can help or has advice. Thanks.

Sean

For those interested in knowing your Klotho status, I have found that the dna data from Ancestry includes it. I ordered an AncestryDNA kit for $59 to learn more about my heritage. After downloading the raw data and uploading to Promethease, I see there is the added bonus of rs9536314.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR