Obtaining blood tests in the UK

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
HelenP
Contributor
Contributor

Obtaining blood tests in the UK

Post by HelenP »

Hi
I'm new to this Forum and am still working through all the amazing information provided on it. Thank for such a super resource. I have only recently discovered that I carry one APOE4 allele from 23 & me and so I am in the very early stages of planning how to change my diet and lifestyle for the better. I was persuaded to take the 23 & me test after reading Dr Bradesen's book and I am now re-reading it even more seriously. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 70 and I am soon to turn 60! Most of the posts on blood tests appear to relate to the US, so I am seeking any advice on obtaining these tests in the UK. Are there any other British members on the Forum who could offer me some help? I know these tests are not available through the NHS, but I am unsure how to find a private practitioner who would offer a service for me. All advice most welcome.
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Obtaining blood tests in the UK

Post by Alexia C »

HelenP wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:01 am Hi
I'm new to this Forum and am still working through all the amazing information provided on it. Thank for such a super resource. I have only recently discovered that I carry one APOE4 allele from 23 & me and so I am in the very early stages of planning how to change my diet and lifestyle for the better. I was persuaded to take the 23 & me test after reading Dr Bradesen's book and I am now re-reading it even more seriously. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 70 and I am soon to turn 60! Most of the posts on blood tests appear to relate to the US, so I am seeking any advice on obtaining these tests in the UK. Are there any other British members on the Forum who could offer me some help? I know these tests are not available through the NHS, but I am unsure how to find a private practitioner who would offer a service for me. All advice most welcome.
Hi HelenP,

Welcome!

I am so glad you are finding our site helpful. It is a super resource (as you mention) with a caring team that will support you with your concerns and questions. Finding out you have one APOE4 allele can be overwhelming, specially since you have already lived the difficulties of AD with your mom. I am sure that journey was very difficult for you and your family. My heart goes out to you. Having lived with a family member with AD, I understand how tough that can be.

Reading Dr Bredesen's book not once, but twice shows your perseverance in understanding more about AD. Congratulations on that initiative. You are on the right track!! There is much research that supports that making lifestyle and diet changes can have much impact on minimizing your risk. I am sure with your zest for knowledge you will make all the best choices. They can be tiny steps but they all add up!

As a welcome intern, I would like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

The Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It's a great place to see some strategies that you can consider--and she also recommends not trying to re-tool your entire life at once!

The How-To Guide shows how to quote members (use the " icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also shows how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest.

Here's a link pulled from our Wiki on Research, with a 2018 article on strategies for prevention in ApoE 4 carriers from Dr. Richard Isaacson, the Director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Program at Cornell Weill Medical Center in NYC: Clinical Application of APOE in Alzheimer's Prevention: A Precision Medicine Approach. I hope you find it useful.

I am sure UK members in this forum will respond to your specific question about blood tests.

Again, welcome to the site. I commend you on your commitment to learn more and start making changes.

Please reach out if you need any further assistance using the site.

Warmly,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Belfastman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Belfastman »

Hi Helen,

Just checking if you ever found a private provider for blood tests? I have been searching all week and get find a provider that covers all the tests recommended.

Mark
HelenP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HelenP »

Hi Belfastman
Well I have gone down a few rabbit holes in my search for private blood tests and I am still on my quest! I've been looking for labs which could offer me the tests required for the Apollo PreCode Programme. After a few false starts, I finally found two companies which I have confidence in - Medichecks (following a recommendation) and amazingly, a company called privatebloodtests.co.uk :). Interestingly, the emails that I receive from privatebloodtest come from BlueHorizon (another company), but they offer different tests to the ones on the privatebloodtest site, but I guess that gives you 3 options. All very confusing. Medichecks offers fingerprick tests, nurse home collection or blood drawn at your local city hospital - well at least in my case. Privateblood tests offers blood draws at one of the Spire private hospitals. However, some tests have to be undertaken at a hospital, so if you are planning to have all the tests on one day, then it will be most cost-effective to have them all taken at one hospital.
Unfortunately, as you've found, nothing is straightforward as no one lab offers the majority of the required tests in one panel and then you need to include additional separate tests to your order, eg: fasting insulin, homocysteine etc. You also need to look closely at the biomarkers tested in each panel, eg: privatebloodetests offer a Comprehensive VIP Plus Glucose panel, but that includes CRP not hsCRP and inactive B12, not active. In comparison, one of Medicare panels, does offer hsCRP and active B12, but not calcium, glucose, potassium for the metabolic panel that Apollo needs. No lab offers BUN which is also required for the metabolic panel, but I've now discovered that this test is unavailable in the UK anyway. When looking at my options, the best provider for the majority of tests appeared to be privatebloodtests (though Spire) and then I could obtain hs CRP and active B12 from fingerprick tests via Medichecks.
I hope the above info is useful. In the end, it depends which tests you are looking for, I guess. If you are planning to register with Apollo Health, it may well be worth asking if the lack of one blood biomarker (or two) will adversely affect the algorithm for their reports. Given how frustrating it was to find one lab for all the tests and also the cost of having all the tests in one go, I've now decided to go for the Medicare Advanced Well Woman panel initially, particularly as I find it difficult to obtain sufficient blood through fingerprick tests. Following the results of that, I will then plan my next steps. My draw is booked early Feb, so I can let you know how good a service it is once I get my results, if that helps.
All the best in your search. If you find any further good sources, I would love to hear about them.
Helen