Hello, Another Newbie Here

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jasper
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Another Newbie Here

Post by Jasper »

Hi, I'll try to keep this brief. Thank you for creating this website. I had no idea it existed until I read an old newspaper article that referenced these forums. I also noticed the British Medical Journal last month published an article on the subject of ApoeE4 and cognitive decline - that is what sparked my latest bout of curiosity.

I'm a 30-year-old male from the UK, a PhD graduate and working in cancer research currently. A couple of years ago, out of sheer curiosity, I did a sequencing.com WGS test. Lo and behold, I have the two E4 alleles. I have a strong understanding of the underlying science, and my scientific background has helped me (or not?!) to rationalise this discovery.

I am fortunate in that I can say, hand on heart, I am a generally very fit and healthy young adult - never smoked, drink alcohol infrequently, exercise a lot. Not a perfect lifestyle (I knocked my head a bit while training in martial arts for a few years, and my sleep can be a bit patchy - but no one can claim to be a saint I guess).

Essentially, I have two quite far-out requests on here. They may be unlikely to happen, but I might as well try:
  • 1) If ever there was a good reason to pursue a career, it would be having a personal interest in the job area. So, if there are any researchers here who may have a vacancy for a postdoc in their lab, now or in the distant future, please do get in touch. I have 6 years of cell-based research experience and an unmatched desire to learn more about this topic.
    2) Are there any researchers out there who are looking for volunteers in studies investigating the effects of Apoe isoforms in health and disease? An online survey, longitudinal analysis, additional genotyping studies... Depending on location, I'm open to any requests for help in advancing our knowledge of the APOE gene/Apoe protein.
I totally understand there is a strong US focus on this site. But, who knows, the E4 allele knows no boundaries, right? Failing that, a warm welcome will suit me just fine :)

Thanks again for the website and the resources, I've bookmarked the homepage and look forward to exploring it in more detail over the coming weeks and months.

Hmm, I suppose this wasn't brief after all...

Cheers,
Alex
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello, Another Newbie Here

Post by Kmlseattle »

Jasper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm Hi, I'll try to keep this brief. Thank you for creating this website. I had no idea it existed until I read an old newspaper article that referenced these forums. I also noticed the British Medical Journal last month published an article on the subject of ApoeE4 and cognitive decline - that is what sparked my latest bout of curiosity.

Essentially, I have two quite far-out requests on here. They may be unlikely to happen, but I might as well try:
  • 1) If ever there was a good reason to pursue a career, it would be having a personal interest in the job area. So, if there are any researchers here who may have a vacancy for a postdoc in their lab, now or in the distant future, please do get in touch. I have 6 years of cell-based research experience and an unmatched desire to learn more about this topic.
    2) Are there any researchers out there who are looking for volunteers in studies investigating the effects of Apoe isoforms in health and disease? An online survey, longitudinal analysis, additional genotyping studies... Depending on location, I'm open to any requests for help in advancing our knowledge of the APOE gene/Apoe protein.
I totally understand there is a strong US focus on this site. But, who knows, the E4 allele knows no boundaries, right? Failing that, a warm welcome will suit me just fine :)

Thanks again for the website and the resources, I've bookmarked the homepage and look forward to exploring it in more detail over the coming weeks and months.

Hmm, I suppose this wasn't brief after all...

Cheers,
Alex
Welcome, Jasper.
The purpose of this site is to support people who are carriers of the ApoE4 allele, their family members and caregivers. It is not intended to serve as a job-seeking site. I would suggest you might find better information about careers by looking at specific sites linked to your field.

As you've indicated your interest in exploring the site in the future, please refer to the Primer for accessible science background and prioritized sensible preventative measures for the various conditions related to ApoE4. Additionally, the WIKI is a searchable compendium of information regarding ApoE4.

I wish you luck in your job search.

Kathleen
Jasper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

Hi Kathleen,

I'm sorry, you are right. It was a poor and misguided attempt to connect with people who share the same passion for research.

A bit naive of me, but it won't happen again. Just to emphasise, that wasn't the main motivation for signing up to the forums.

Alex
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jasper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm...2) Are there any researchers out there who are looking for volunteers in studies investigating the effects of Apoe isoforms in health and disease? An online survey, longitudinal analysis, additional genotyping studies... Depending on location, I'm open to any requests for help in advancing our knowledge of the APOE gene/Apoe protein.[/list]

I totally understand there is a strong US focus on this site. But, who knows, the E4 allele knows no boundaries, right? Failing that, a warm welcome will suit me just fine :)..Cheers,
Alex
Welcome, Alex!

Having ApoE 4/4 at the age of 30 means you have decades in which to follow, participate in and even develop research on the effects of ApoE 4--an exciting time to have ApoE4. I also know people who are involved in research, much of which is happening in academic centers using PhDs like you who are passionate about advancing our knowledge. I'd encourage you to network with people in the UK and Europe, to follow some of the leading journal articles (Google Scholar is one way to get a wide range of articles related to ApoE4) and to look into virtually attending some conferences.

Here's a link to one I and some others on the forum plan to attend, at a cost of only $25. AAIC APOE 2023 Conference. The Alzheimer's Associations International Conference(AAIC) will be held in Amsterdam this summer, much closer to you than to those of us in the US. It offers a wealth of information on foundational research, non-pharmocological trials as well as clinical trials,, and offers networking for professionals including those attending virtually, I believe.

Most observational registries are looking for people 50 and older, butyou may be perfect for The UK Biobank'sImaging Study.
The UK Biobank imaging project aims to collect brain, heart, and abdomen scans from 100,000 participants. Thanks to the help of our participants, we have collected imaging scans from over 60,000 participants to date. Performing imaging at this scale is unprecedented and will allow researchers to identify associations between lifestyle, genetic factors, imaging-derived phenotypes and how these affect disease risk.
The UK Biobank has been a source of amazing epidemiological and neuroscience research. Whenever I see "UK Biobank" in an article, I know the analysis will be based on large data sets of committed volunteers. Hope you get to be one, or find another perfect place for your passion.

Warmly,
Nancy (who carries 50% UK genes!)
4/4 and still an optimist!
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Jasper

I'm in the UK too (Coventry)! I'm on prevention (Mum has Alzheimer's)

It sounds like you have a good lifestyle already, and as already pointed out, you have decades to work on it!

You mention that you bumped your head, so I just thought I'd pick up on that point. I read some research recently about the protective effects of high dose DHA for repetitive sub-concussion trauma (specifically in sports injuries). And let's face it omega 3s are good for brain health according to Dr. Bredesen! So you might want to look into that for yourself.

Good luck!

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach