Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by circular »

Barry Pearson wrote: Ouch!
Thanks. If I can't find something cheaper, that sounds like something I need.
I'm not well versed on the various mercury tests (types of mercury and types of test) -- or anything else for that matter :D -- but I got mine a long time ago from Life Extension. At the time they didn't have a whole blood version and I paid over $100 for the serum version. Whole blood, now available, is probably better and much cheaper than what I paid. It's also on sale for $45 :D

Life Extension also offers mercury with arsenic and aluminum for $134, but this one doesn't appear to be whole blood.

Whole blood mercury alone:

https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testi ... blood-test

All Life Extension labs:

https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testi ... sts-a-to-z

I have no connection to them. I just do some testing with them.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Look at New Century Labs in this list. They are a Quest Labs reseller. Cheapest I'm aware of in this space.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
Look at New Century Labs in this list. They are a Quest Labs reseller. Cheapest I'm aware of in this space.
Thanks, they are new to me. I like that it's through Quest (my insurance covers but not Lab Corps which Life Extension works through), so when my doctor orders some tests I can add a requisition from here and get them done in the same place. For 'fun', I compared some test prices between Life Extension's current sale prices (LabCorps) and New Century (Quest). Most were close within about $10, with each company dinging the bell here and there, but there were some outliers that were significantly cheaper through NCL.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

Thanks to everyone above for all the links to tests!

I note that the first of the links above, while expensive, appears to test levels and ratios identified in ReCODE.
(Or at least in Bredesen's book).
That is something I'm very interested in.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

Barry Pearson wrote:
wocky wrote:Barry-
You should get tested, it's not an expensive test. The point of my post was that I SHOULD have low oxLDL because of my diet (I took krill oil astaxanthin too) and all other numbers point to that, but it's not the case for me. I have had a difficult time finding information on what causes the oxidation of LDL in the blood. Everyone says high blood sugar but my personal experience doesn't jive with that. Here's my other data point: My sister in law has familial hypercholesterolemia. Her LDL-C is well over 200, her doctor wanted to put her on statins. She's a vegan...so her diet is rich in carbohydrates/grains, probably has a fair amount of seed oils. She underwent a CAC and full lipid panel. Her crp was similar to mine @ .3, her triglycerides are great, oxLDL was 29, and CAC came back at zero. How does the IR hypothesis explain this? I am thinking my genes just suck and apoe4s like to oxidize their LDLs more than other genotypes. I think caution is warranted.

My doctor has had me up my vegetables from 1 serving per day to 5-6 servings per day. I also stopped doing IF and am eating 5-6 smaller low carb meals per day, and I'm slowly swapping out red meats, bacon/sausage, and cheese (all my favorite foods), for seafood, avocados, and olive oil, all of which I am able to source locally. I'm really not happy about it though and want to believe that a carnivore diet will work for me, but my oxLDL number quite frankly has me terrified. I'm retesting in January and will report back.
Thanks. I probably will get it tested sometime.
I hope you have better news in January. I would be interested in the results.

In the meantime, I'm confident that I don't have the problem you describe.
I've never read or heard of symptoms like that. I found a couple of articles (below) that may be relevant.
I doubt if it is a specific ApoE4 problem. Otherwise I think I would have been aware of more cases like yours.

I eat Two Meals A Day with no snacking or grazing. Snacking or grazing cause metabolic disorders.
I feel it is essential not only to keep my blood glucose very low and stable, but also keep my "area under the insulin curve" low.
I find the idea of swapping out red meat weird. It is one of the safest foods around!

Articles I've found:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is- ... ldl-698079
https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/66/2/474
Did you ever check oxLDL and other things? Curious how well high saturated fat is working out.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

Not yet.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

Barry Pearson wrote:Not yet.
Further, have you considered sustained-release melatonin (minimum dose)? Any labs to check serum?

Fall of melatonin is likely the main change toward degeneration. There's also hGH/IGF-1 and they are both mainly released during the first few hours of sleep.

Melatonin has many systemic effects that protect against degeneration: lowers osteoclasts associated with PTH, amplifies amount of hGH/IGF-1 released, protects against lipid peroxidation, burns visceral fat (thermogenesis via increased fat browning and/or brown fat?), opposes cortisol, clears heavy metals, creates resistance to artherosclerosis, etc.

Melatonin is nicely balanced by vitamin D3 (and eventually a bit of DHEA) in the AM.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29275919/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30254716/
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by MsCindy »

I'm very late to this topic, but I absolutely agree with this topic for myself. A zero carb diet is better for me than keto, both for my brain and all my body systems. I have been keto for 5 years, with good results for my brain, but disaster for my body. I had increasingly severe diarrhea for all those 5 years, increasing belly fat, bloating and edema in my lower legs that I had never had before, all despite very low carbs. I developed eye crystals in one eye that made that eye blurry and dysfunctional, and the doctor said there was nothing I could do about it. I love Dr. Bredesen, and I followed his vegetable recommendations, very carefully and completely. I ate no more than 3-4 oz of meat per day, filled my plate with many different types of low carb veggies, ate a handful of low-carb nuts every day, did intermediate fasting every day, and frequently did 24 hour fasting. And I was SO SICK! My entire digestive tract was severely inflamed, and hurt so bad I could hardly stand up some days, from my neck to my legs.

5 weeks ago, I switched to a carnivore diet, and within the first 3 days, almost all my digestive tract pain went away. Within 3 weeks, my constant severe diarrhea just suddenly disappeared. Now after 5 weeks, my bad eye is improving. When I drive, I can actually read the signs with it again. All things brain are better too - better focus, clarity, sense of smell, etc.

I'm pretty certain that it is the oxalates in all those veggies and in the nuts was killing me, along with possibly other plant toxins. I'm clearly sensitive to the toxins that veggies carry to as defense mechanisms. They caused a significant inflammatory response in me that going off of plant foods calmed down instantly. I thought I should post this here in case it helps someone else. The carnivore diet has completely turned my health around, and it seems to work completely fine with the rest of the Bredesen protocol.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

I'm 75; 76 in April.
I've been Near-Carnivore and Near-Zero-Carb since the start of 2019.
I eat 2 (large) meals a day; no snacks.
I primarily eat the bodies & products of mammals, birds, & fish.
I don't buy or eat vegetables nor fruits.

My ketone level averages about 1; mild ketosis.

I'm "sort of" Ketoflex with about 8 or 9 hour window.
I try to have about 3 hours from my last meal before bed.
I monitor my sleep every night with Oura Ring.
My target (not always achieved!) is 90 minutes REM sleep & 60 minutes Deep sleep.
I think Deep sleep is very important.

My HS CRP (inflammation level) is 0.28 - very low.
I haven't needed prescribed medication during my 70s.
I don't keep painkillers in the house because I don't need them.
I haven't had a headache worth taking a pill for since 2014.

But I do supplement as suggested by Bredesen.
Also because of my risk of Macular Degeneration.

So far, so good.
I'm not surprised when anyone else benefits from Carnivore!
It's the ultimate elimination food-style.
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MsCindy »

I'm 68 and my husband is 71. We went fully Bredesen keto 5 years ago in a 2018, and just started carnivore this last December. My husband was doing better on keto than I was, but his weight had crept up a lot more than he liked, and he has a mild autoimmune disorder that had gotten much worse. So we decided to try carnivore together. After only 5-6 weeks, his autoimmune disease has already slowed way down. We're strict carnivores with the exception of coffee.

My ketosis is consistently .3 - .6. It was much higher a few years ago, but after so many years, I seem to be ketone-sparing, and my ketones are always in that ballpark, around the clock.

Glucose is 84-87, but I have dawn phenomenon, wake up quickly and wide awake, and glucose can be a little over 100 for my first couple of hours in the morning. Hubby is struggling with glucose still, was already pre-diabetic before we started keto, and has worse dawn phenomenon, with glucose up to 110 in the morning.

We both also take a lot of the Bredesen supplements, although I've had to eliminate many that give us both insomnia.
I've been a short sleeper all my life, and still really struggle with sleep. I've read about the Oura Ring and been tempted to try. It's just the cost that slows me down. Has it been really helpful to you, Barry?