Blue Zones, specifically Seventh Day Adventists

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Blue Zones, specifically Seventh Day Adventists

Post by Jan18 »

laurie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:57 am It is interesting you mention the Blue Zones and the Seventh Day Adventist's diet. The reason people living in the Blue Zones have less incidence of some diseases and live longer is because there is silica in their water. The form of silica in the water is OSA and this form is effective at removing aluminum from the body and brain. My husband Dennis N Crouse has written an evidenced based book on the Blue Zones and Silica water. The Seventh day Adventists you mention drink 8 glasses a day of water. For those not familiar Loma Linda has been designated a Blue Zone and there are many Seventh Day Adventists living in this city. My husband has also been reading the scientific literature on Alzheimer's for the past decade as his mother has late onset Alzheimer's. Aluminum is the cause of Alzheimer's and drinking silica rich mineral water removes the aluminum. He also has a write up on the Keto diet being a work around for aluminum interfering with fat mobilization. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke ... er-is.html Here is a link to the introduction to his Silica water Blue Zone book. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke ... water.html
Interesting, Laurie! I do aim to drink 7-9 glasses of water a day, too. In fact, the only things I drink are water, coffee, and chamomile tea at night for good sleep. :)

Read the second link. Your husband's credentials certainly are impressive. So Fiji water, huh? Judging by what happened with his mother, seems plausible. Was that the only change introduced to his mother's lifestyle?

Going to read the first link....
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

From Jan 18 [/quote]

Interesting, Laurie! I do aim to drink 7-9 glasses of water a day, too. In fact, the only things I drink are water, coffee, and chamomile tea at night for good sleep. :)

Read the second link. Your husband's credentials certainly are impressive. So Fiji water, huh? Judging by what happened with his mother, seems plausible. Was that the only change introduced to his mother's lifestyle?

[/quote]

Thank you for interest in the information I posted. You only need to drink 3 to 4 cups a day of silica water. You can drink more. Fiji water is one water that has enough silica to remove aluminum. There are many others. There is a list at our website and at Dennis' blog on blogger.

Regarding my mother in law and your question of any other lifestyle changes, we eliminated sources of aluminum and there were supplements she took . One surprising source of aluminum was her drip style coffee maker. Most drip style coffee makers have an aluminum heating element. We saw the most improvement when she drank the Fiji water. The supplements she took were for both brain and heart health. All of the supplements were either made by the body or essential for the body. Here is a link to the protocol Dennis developed for his mother. https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... ci-and-ad/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

[quote=laurie post_id=87912 time=1675714449
[/quote]

https://newuniversity.org/2021/03/10/th ... er%20liter.

Thanks, Laurie. I was doing some research on Fiji water and found this from 2021.
VedaGoldstein
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VedaGoldstein »

Hello!

Thank you for this! I struggle mightily with the strict Bredesen/Gundry diet protocols and have had to revise them.

It was almost impossible for me to get enough calories (I started with high muscle mass and had literally not a single pound to lose, so it was actually tricky for me to get enough calories on a daily basis without eating a ton of nuts and drinking olive oil. I started losing weight, and I couldn't afford to. )

I also struggled with not being able to actually feel like I was cooking anything ever, it hit monotony fast, and I just suddenly no longer wanted to eat ever and felt like constantly fasting to the point that I would hit a 48-hour fast and want to extend every time instead of dealing with food. Weirdly the longer I fasted, the harder it was for me to control my blood sugar. I now fast for 17-20 hours in most 24-hour periods.

I have since reintroduced limited eggs, limited lamb, and limited dairy (for example if I miss an ingredient or occasionally a bit of cheese since dairy helps my blood sugar stability immensely). I have also kept some grains, whole grains, steel-cut oats, and some traditional all-real sourdough.

I don't know what to do with coconut since that is often hard to avoid, and I avoid it to the best of my knowledge.

I am still working on my blood sugar stability; it is really hard for me without dairy and meat, my blood sugar will sometimes spike on salmon, olive oil, and greens and vinegar doesn't seem to help me at all but if I eat black beans/cheese/peppers/onion/salsa, I get literally zero spike. This makes it tricky...

My point is....I have no idea how to manage this, so you aren't alone in trying to piece out what people actually eat, shocked at recipes that aren't "compliant" and finding all of the nutrition info tricky even with protocols spelled out in wikis! I comb through the site looking for people who spell out exactly what diet protocol they are following and it gets to be confusing!

Good luck, I am super interested in hearing what you end up doing. I also, see a lot of value in the 7th Day Adventist/Blue Zone style diet approach and think it would be so much simpler to follow that!
Last edited by VedaGoldstein on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jan18 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am Does everyone here never let a forbidden grain, a piece of sourdough or whole wheat bread, a nightshade vegetable cross their lips???? From my impression, they don't and I guess I'm just baffled.
HI Jan18, as you have already gathered from the replies you’ve gotten, the answer to the question “Does everyone here…” is no. That would probably apply to just about anything you wanted to add after “does everyone here…”. We are not a uniform group following a unified plan.
At one point I did a 6 month experiment of not eating any lectins…NONE!…. to see if my Hashimoto’s Disease would reverse itself. It didn’t. Now, though I’m aware of Dr Gundry’s recommendations, I include occasional lectins. I had red bell peppers as part of my dinner tonight, for example. And while I generally follow a low carb high/fat diet that puts me into a moderate level of ketosis, I cycle out fairly often. On those days I might eat basmati rice with an Indian curry or an enchilada plate including beans, or a few truffle fries, or a croissant. Fruit is still included, just in smaller portions. I don’t think there is any food that I like that I have entirely given up.
I’’ve never been a fan of processed foods, and my taste buds have adjusted so that most sweet things are too sweet for me. So that’s been easy. I’m very generous towards myself in regards to my diet. My interpretation of my eating pattern is that over many years I’ve been able to continue to eat a ketogenic diet most days partly because I allow myself not to some days.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

floramaria wrote:
Thank you for food and eating pattern specifics. It is much appreciated and valued!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

VedaGoldstein wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:40 am
My point is....I have no idea how to manage this, so you aren't alone in trying to piece out what people actually eat, shocked at recipes that aren't "compliant" and finding all of the nutrition info tricky even with protocols spelled out in wikis! I comb through the site looking for people who spell out exactly what diet protocol they are following and it gets to be confusing!

Good luck, I am super interested in hearing what you end up doing. I also, see a lot of value in the 7th Day Adventist/Blue Zone style diet approach and think it would be so much simpler to follow that!
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. It helps me get a broader perspective.

When I figure out a diet that works for me I'll share it here. What is tricky for me is crafting it so that it's appealing, doesn't make me feel so restricted that I want to give up and go back to old bad eating habits, yet meets the macro percentages to get me in deep enough ketosis to lose weight.

That is my challenge, but I'm hoping now that I know I don't have to entirely give up any food unless I find it's really detrimental to me, I'll be more successful.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi Jan18,

I am whole foods plant based low fat, and I know there are at least a few others on this forum who are too. I eat whole grains (the gluten free ones) and legumes. I feel great. My glycemic and lipid labs are all optimal. Dean Ornish is currently conducting a randomized controlled trial to see if a whole foods plant based diet low in fat and sugar is effective in staving off or reversing MCI. It's not the only part of his prevention program. You can read more here: https://pmri.org/research/reverse-alzhe ... ent-trial/
Last edited by Plumster on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Plumster wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:14 am Hi Jan18,

I am whole foods plant based low fat, and I know there are at least a few others on this forum who are too. I eat whole grains (the gluten free ones) and legumes. I feel great. Dean Ornish is currently conducting a randomized controlled trial to see if a whole foods plant based diet low in fat and sugar is effective in staving off or reversing MCI. It's not the only part of his prevention program. You can read more here: https://pmri.org/research/reverse-alzhe ... ent-trial/
Thank you! I'll check it out! 😊👍
Flowers44
New User
New User

Post by Flowers44 »

laurie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:14 pm
“Jan 18” wrote:Interesting, Laurie! I do aim to drink 7-9 glasses of water a day, too. In fact, the only things I drink are water, coffee, and chamomile tea at night for good sleep. :)

Thank you for interest in the information I posted. You only need to drink 3 to 4 cups a day of silica water. You can drink more. Fiji water is one water that has enough silica to remove aluminum. There are many others. There is a list at our website and at Dennis' blog on blogger.

Regarding my mother in law and your question of any other lifestyle changes, we eliminated sources of aluminum and there were supplements she took . One surprising source of aluminum was her drip style coffee maker. Most drip style coffee makers have an aluminum heating element. We saw the most improvement when she drank the Fiji water. The supplements she took were for both brain and heart health. All of the supplements were either made by the body or essential for the body. Here is a link to the protocol Dennis developed for his mother. https://prevent-alzheimers-autism-strok ... ci-and-ad/
Hi Laurie. Thank you for all of your information on aluminum. I have followed your posts over the last few years. I can't seem to get your husband's website to open (unable to connect to database). Is the website still running? Has anything changed? Thanks, Flower