another newbie

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Cindy
Contributor
Contributor

another newbie

Post by Cindy »

Hi Everyone

Gonna be honest, I'm very overwhelmed and feel like I'm drowning in an overload of data and terms that I have no idea what they mean. The following are a few items to describe me & my lifestyle: (But before I do that, I'm so grateful to have found this website and very thankful for everyone sharing their wealth of information as well as the emotional and mental support you provide.)

My name is Cindy, age 63, APOE3/4. Alzheimers runs in the family in a big way. My maternal grandmother as well as her sister had it, my Mom was diagnosed with early onset in her late 50's, 2 of her siblings had late onset Alzheimers. My oldest brother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers about 10 years ago (he would have been in his late 50's). (Side note, we found out within the past year that pancreatic cancer also runs in the family (we believe it is on the maternal side as well) with the ATM gene variant -- 2 other brothers have just recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. It's been a lot to deal with in a heartbreaking way. Since I wanted to find out about the ATM variant (I do not have it), I decided to check on the APOE status as well. Another side note -- it appears that my oldest brother with early onset is not APOE 4 -- I do not know whether or not he has any other Alzheimer's genes -- my sister in law is going to see what she can find out from the doctor who diagnosed him.) Anyway, I stumbled upon and have read Dr. Bredesen's books and have enrolled in Apollo Health in precode status (my cognitive tests were ok and I have already received my precode blood results), my first appointment with a certified doctor isn't until April. I have always tried to eat healthy although I realize I've got a ways to go with my diet to get it in line with the Keto-flex diet (and I'm struggling with this a lot--not the fasting part but the carbohydrate/fiber intake and getting my caloric intake up--BMI is 19). I'm very active, golf a lot but also exercise regularly, minimal alcohol (now) at least 99% of the time. I've had chronic sinus infections just about my entire life.

I guess that's it. Since my appointment isn't until April I've been trying to get my diet more in line with Keto-Flex but am confused about what my next steps really should be between now and then. With my current sinus issues, instead of getting another antibiotic (just had one last month) -- I've just started to use grapefruit seed extract nasal spray -- which has helped enormously, but I can't help but think that there is probably an underlying condition that I'm unaware of that is causing the infections. Also, I failed the visual acuity test -- which also has me thinking that there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

Thank you again -- to all the administrators on this website and the feedback that everyone provides -- it truly does help -- you give me hope.
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Re: another newbie

Post by Alexia C »

Cindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:55 pm Hi Everyone

Gonna be honest, I'm very overwhelmed and feel like I'm drowning in an overload of data and terms that I have no idea what they mean. The following are a few items to describe me & my lifestyle: (But before I do that, I'm so grateful to have found this website and very thankful for everyone sharing their wealth of information as well as the emotional and mental support you provide.)

My name is Cindy, age 63, APOE3/4. Alzheimers runs in the family in a big way. My maternal grandmother as well as her sister had it, my Mom was diagnosed with early onset in her late 50's, 2 of her siblings had late onset Alzheimers. My oldest brother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers about 10 years ago (he would have been in his late 50's). (Side note, we found out within the past year that pancreatic cancer also runs in the family (we believe it is on the maternal side as well) with the ATM gene variant -- 2 other brothers have just recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. It's been a lot to deal with in a heartbreaking way. Since I wanted to find out about the ATM variant (I do not have it), I decided to check on the APOE status as well. Another side note -- it appears that my oldest brother with early onset is not APOE 4 -- I do not know whether or not he has any other Alzheimer's genes -- my sister in law is going to see what she can find out from the doctor who diagnosed him.) Anyway, I stumbled upon and have read Dr. Bredesen's books and have enrolled in Apollo Health in precode status (my cognitive tests were ok and I have already received my precode blood results), my first appointment with a certified doctor isn't until April. I have always tried to eat healthy although I realize I've got a ways to go with my diet to get it in line with the Keto-flex diet (and I'm struggling with this a lot--not the fasting part but the carbohydrate/fiber intake and getting my caloric intake up--BMI is 19). I'm very active, golf a lot but also exercise regularly, minimal alcohol (now) at least 99% of the time. I've had chronic sinus infections just about my entire life.

Welcome Cindy,

I am so glad you found us. I hope we remain a source of information and support as you move forward with your health journey. Signing up to this site, asking questions and sharing your experiences is a big step to continue learning and assimilating all the new data and terminology. I can relate that all the information can be overwhelming!

As you are probably aware, genes are not our destiny and there is much you can do to prevent cognitive decline. Research in recent years has shown that making lifestyle changes can have a positive and important impact on your health. It sounds like you are already making the right lifestyle choices by eating healthy, being active and exercising regularly. Your courage and perseverance clearly come across! Reading Dr. Bredesen's books and enrolling in Apollo Health will help you further to gear you in the right direction.

As a Welcome Intern, I would like to point out some resources that you might find useful. First, if you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing Medical Doctor with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies. There is also a glossary for the Primer that can help you with the terminology. I find the WIKI to be a useful tool as it has an abundance of information regarding various data, treatments and specific resources.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums, including how to quote members when you respond to posts so they get an email notification of your post (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post). This guide also shows you how to use the search function and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and hope you find the support you need. Let me know if you have further questions that I can help you with. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Warmly,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Cindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:55 pm My name is Cindy, age 63, APOE3/4. Alzheimers runs in the family in a big way. My maternal grandmother as well as her sister had it, my Mom was diagnosed with early onset in her late 50's, 2 of her siblings had late onset Alzheimers. My oldest brother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers about 10 years ago
Hi Cindi. What a genetic hit your family has taken... I'm glad you don't have the pancreatic variant. The study of AD has progressed enormously in the last 5 years, and there are promising treatments in the pipeline, so take heart. Exercise is critical. Stay away from added sugars. Try to limit Carbs - especially high glycemic ones = rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruit juice. Try to avoid high carb fruits like bananas. Do you know where you stand with regards to Diabetes? Have you ever tested your blood sugar? If your BS levels go high, that could lead to a cascade where in the end neurons die and speeding up AD. Fighting AD is a marathon, but possible. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Can you tell me anything about your relative's lifestyle before getting AD?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Cindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:55 pm I've got a ways to go with my diet to get it in line with the Keto-flex diet (and I'm struggling with this a lot--not the fasting part but the carbohydrate/fiber intake and getting my caloric intake up--BMI is 19).
Hi Cindy,

I want to respond to this small part of your post. I just turned 60, am 3/4, thin like you, and after trying to get in line with Keto-flex for the last 3 years, got a reality check from two friends who I hadn't seen for a while who were very concerned about my 8 pound weight loss. It was slow and steady, and the family later said that they had not noticed because we see each other every day.

So I have been diligently eating more than my body wants for the last several months to regain the weight. It's not easy and not fun. I haven't been truly hungry for a meal for quite a while. The whole family got Covid in December, and I realized that in one week, I could lose all of my gains. So I had to eat even while ill. The point is this: for some of us, the weight loss concerns on this program should not be ignored. I think when people get older, most either get frail or thick. Both have their health issues. You and I will have to watch out for frailty. Don't loose too much weight! I wish I had made the issue first priority after 2 pounds gone rather than 8.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Cindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:55 pm I have always tried to eat healthy although I realize I've got a ways to go with my diet to get it in line with the Keto-flex diet (and I'm struggling with this a lot--not the fasting part but the carbohydrate/fiber intake and getting my caloric intake up--BMI is 19). I'm very active, golf a lot but also exercise regularly, minimal alcohol (now) at least 99% of the time. I've had chronic sinus infections just about my entire life.
Hi Cindy, Since you have a PreCODE subscription, you have access to all of the resources on the Apollo Health website. I highly recommend that you sign in to your account and type “Macros” in the search bar. The third entry (for me at least) when the results come up is “What About My Macronutrient Ratios?” It will take you through finding daily caloric requirement, calculating lean body mass and protein needs, fats and carbs. What is great about this Guide is that all the links for the various calculations are embedded. That makes what can be a tedious task somewhat simpler. There are also examples of how you reach the recommended macronutrient level.
I agree with JD2020 that you definitely don’t want to let your body weight drop. For so many people who start KetoFlex, they lower carbs but don’t raise fat intake sufficiently to provide enough calories to sustain weight and get into ketosis.
You can check out the first Guide that shows up when you type “Macros” into the search bar too. That one is “ Cronometer Tips and Tricks”. Once you’ve understood your target for calories, protein, fats, and carbs, Cronometer can be an excellent tool for tracking. Won’t need to do it forever, just until you make the adjustments you need to make and it becomes second nature.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
gena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gena »

I guess that's it. Since my appointment isn't until April I've been trying to get my diet more in line with Keto-Flex but am confused about what my next steps really should be between now and then. With my current sinus issues, instead of getting another antibiotic (just had one last month) -- I've just started to use grapefruit seed extract nasal spray -- which has helped enormously, but I can't help but think that there is probably an underlying condition that I'm unaware of that is causing the infections. Also, I failed the visual acuity test -- which also has me thinking that there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

Thank you again -- to all the administrators on this website and the feedback that everyone provides -- it truly does help -- you give me hope.
Hi Cindy-
I’m also new, close to your age, 3/4, and a bit overwhelmed. I wanted to respond to your chronic sinus infections. I had chronic sinus infections until I changed my diet 8 years ago giving up refined sugar and limiting higher glycemic carbs. I also use saline nasal washes when I first feel congestion, and that keeps sinus infections at bay. I don’t have them anymore.
Finally, do you have a KetoMojo blood and ketone monitor (or something like it) to start giving you glucose and ketone data about your body? I’ve been using it for a month before breakfast but also at different times during the day. I’ve learned an enormous amount about how even foods I thought were ok/good for me (oatmeal) cause a big glucose spike that does not come down quickly. Using the KetoMojo is one thing I’ve done in the past month since learning I’m 3/4 that has taught me a ton about my body and helped me to make quick adjustments.
Gena
Gena 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Yes, it can be very overwhelming, I remember when I first started here years ago, I didn't even register/post at first, I lurked for about a year because I was so overwhelmed with terminology and just how smart everyone else seemed to be on these forums. I hope I can help here.

You say you're confused about next steps to take before your Precode appointment.

Well, in following the advice from Dr Bredesen’s book, The End of Alzheimer’s Program, (TEoAP) the order of events are:
1. address insulin resistance
2. get into ketosis
3. optimize nutrient, hormone and trophic factor (growth factor) support
4. resolve and prevent inflammation
5. treat chronic pathogens
6. identify and remove toxins
7. rule out sleep apnea and optimize sleep.

Step 1 is address insulin resistance. Us 4s are more predisposed to slowed glucose processing in the brain, so this is very important for us and it goes hand in hand with step 2 ketosis since a person can't generate ketones if they are producing too much insulin (a sign of insulin resistance). Gena mentioned a Keto-Mojo or some sort of ketone/glucose meter. This is a wonderful tool where you can gain great insight. We have an ApoE4.info wiki on insulin resistance that includes advice on how to lower it Insulin Resistance.

Step 2 ketosis, we also have a wiki on ketosis that discusses the different means of testing for ketones as well as a discussion on ketosis and why it’s important for us 4s. Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet There are guidelines, but every individual is different, so you may have to play with the amount of fat you consume and maybe, you might be able tolerate more (good) carbs and still keep blood sugar levels moderated and generate ketones (that's where a ketone/glucose meter comes in handy.) By tweaking, you should be able to generate ketones and not lose weight. There is a discussion for those with low BMI in TEoAP book, page 49 of my Kindle version. Of note, I assume the KetoFlex you’re following is KetoFlex 12/3 which is the recommendation from Dr Bredesen for the majority of folks, but remember as a 4 carrier, we’re not in the majority, we should be following more KetoFlex 14/3 or even better, 16/3.

As a tool for KetoFlex, I find the visual graphic of Dr B’s KetoFlex pyramic to be very helpful.
Ketoflex_pyramid3.jpg
We have an ApoE4.info wiki on Dr B’s protocol (highly abbreviated “Cliff Notes” version) Bredesen Protocol Otherwise chapters 4-11 of Dr B’s TEoAP book go into detail an each step of the KetoFlex pyramid.

I'm not going over each step, but emphasizing areas of especial interest to 4s, so passing over step 3 to step 4: resolve and prevent inflammation. As 4s, we are in a more pro-inflammatory state than ApoE3s or 2s, so we especially need to be cognizant of inflammatory triggers, especially since in large part we can’t “feel” when we’re internally inflamed until it manifests as, say, an autoimmune disease (Cleveland Clinic says there are over 100 autoimmune diseases). You may have heard of the colloquialism “inflammageing” which has been a term coined given the connection between inflammation, health issues, and accelerated aging (aging is the highest risk factor for Alzheimer’s).

Skipping to step 7: Optimizing Sleep, because this is an area you can start working on now before your appointment. This is more than just trying to get 8 hours of sleep. Dr Matthew Walker, professor of neuroscience and psychology at UC Berkeley and author of the book
Why We Sleep describes the four pillars of sleep as depth, duration, continuity and uninterrupted. You can start working on good sleep hygiene now. This article has some helpful advice What is sleep hygiene?
What is sleep hygiene? .
Our ApoE4.info wiki on Circadian Rhythm also is very informative, Circadian Rhythm

A side note on your family history. I noticed in your post is the strong trend of Alzheimer’s in the women of your family. Yes, women get more Alzheimer’s than men, but this could also indicate mitochondria that might not be as strong as they should be being inherited. Mitochondria is passed down from mom (no contribution from dad). Mitochondria are in our cells and they provide energy. Alzheimer’s is largely an energy issue for the brain. If the mitochondria aren’t working optimally, the brain isn’t getting the energy it needs, and it needs a lot of it 24/7. Mitochondrial dysfunction is a major determinant in how we age and is one of the earliest and most prominent features of Alzheimer’s Disease. If there is a strong passage from mother to daughter to granddaughter, this might be an area to investigate further. You can learn more about mitochondria and strategies to try to improve (or avoid damaging) it in our ApoE4.info wiki: Mitochondria

I also keyed into the fact you said there's Early Onset Alzheimer’s in your family history. ApoE4 can induce an earlier onset of Alzheimer’s, but ApoE4 is generally associated with Late Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (LOAD) also known as sporadic Alzheimer’s. ApoE4 isn’t a deterministic allele, some 4s get AD whereas some live a long, healthy, cognitively intact life, i.e. sporadic. Being an ApoE4 carrier doesn’t mean you will get Alzheimer’s, it just heightens the risk. So it’s especially important to remove/diminish as many factors that drive Alzheimer’s disease as possible, ApoE4 is only one of those factors.

Late Onset or Sporadic Alzheimer’s compares with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (EOAD), also known as Familial Alzheimer’s disease (FAD) or Early onset familial Alzheimer disease (eFAD). True Early Onset is genetically driven (deterministic), not by ApoE4 but by three single-gene mutations: (1) Amyloid precursor protein (APP) on chromosome 21, (2) Presenilin 1 (PSEN1) on chromosome 14, (3) Presenilin 2 (PSEN2) on chromosome 1. Early Onset makes up less than 5% of Alzheimer’s diagnoses. There are also some other genes that influence ApoE4 negatively, raising the risk, and some that are beneficial, so that might be an issue in your family, that's discussed (among other things) in Peter Attia's interview with Dr Kellyann Niotis, if interested you can listen here: #236 ‒ Neurodegenerative disease: pathology, screening, and prevention

Lastly, you’re probably correct that there’s an underlying factor contributing to your infections. Hopefully your PreCode appointment/tests will help uncover that. Working with a functional doctor helped me in identifying dietary drivers that raised my inflammatory markers.

Okay, that's enough. I’ve probably overwhelmed you even more, but hopefully I’ve contributed some gems.
Best to you in your health journey and let us know how things go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Cindy,
You've have some great responses on here, lots of tips and advice, so I guess you've got plenty to work on. All I wanted to add was to say well done for taking action and working on prevention. You mustn't underestimate how far you've come already. I know it's overwhelming to start with, but just try to do a little at a time and build on that. Small changes add up and as you start noticing some differences, that will just give you more motivation to keep going. Tackle some easy wins first to keep yourself motivated and positive.
Good luck and do keep using this resource to get help.
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Cindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cindy »

Alexia C wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:11 pm

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and hope you find the support you need. Let me know if you have further questions that I can help you with. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Warmly,

Alexia C
Thank You for your post -- Ive been digging into as much as I can to learn as much as I can -- really appreciate this website!!
Cindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cindy »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am
Cindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:55 pm My name is Cindy, age 63, APOE3/4. Alzheimers runs in the family in a big way. My maternal grandmother as well as her sister had it, my Mom was diagnosed with early onset in her late 50's, 2 of her siblings had late onset Alzheimers. My oldest brother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers about 10 years ago
Hi Cindi. What a genetic hit your family has taken... I'm glad you don't have the pancreatic variant. The study of AD has progressed enormously in the last 5 years, and there are promising treatments in the pipeline, so take heart. Exercise is critical. Stay away from added sugars. Try to limit Carbs - especially high glycemic ones = rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruit juice. Try to avoid high carb fruits like bananas. Do you know where you stand with regards to Diabetes? Have you ever tested your blood sugar? If your BS levels go high, that could lead to a cascade where in the end neurons die and speeding up AD. Fighting AD is a marathon, but possible. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Can you tell me anything about your relative's lifestyle before getting AD?
Thank you Mike for your post. I can't tell you how comforting it is to have you (all) reach out to me -- I'm still trying to learn how to work this website as well as learning as much as I can about the genes and diabetes, etc. I do the ketomojo almost daily -- occasionally have used it during the day after eating a sweet potato or something else not necessarily on the KetoFLEX diet. In response to your question about my relative's lifestyle -- I'd say my mom walked a lot (she and my dad would go to the shopping malls and walk as much as they could) but other than that no other exercise and I'd say my other relatives were pretty much sedentary. I do not have diabetes however LDL serum is elevated which I guess I'm trying to dig into a little bit more to understand that. My HDL has always been very high and when I go back to all the blood tests over the past 20 years -- it's basically the same story -- LDL was high but was offset with very high HDL.