Help! I’m new and my life feels over! (Not to be dramatic)

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
VedaGoldstein
Contributor
Contributor

Help! I’m new and my life feels over! (Not to be dramatic)

Post by VedaGoldstein »

Hello,

I found out I am APOE4 (not sure of the proper naming conventions yet) I already Mediterranean 75% of the time or more and never any red meat, pork, fried foods, lots of added sugars etc. I also was exercising 7+hours a week but not at high intensity.

So it wouldn’t feel like it would be a lot for me to switch my diet and exercise BUT I literally make and design alcohol as my job. This is my income, my business and the major part of my life. I do not drink a ton, red wine mostly and whisky since this is where my career lies and always in moderation but it looks like alcohol is completely out for me and I literally don’t know how to make this work.

So far I found out no alcohol, no dairy (I wasn’t a big dairy person but had a several week latte order that kept me sane) etc and I feel like i is couldn’t handle giving up some things but it feels like everything I love is gone.

Does it get better? I’m looking at a career shift at the height of my career and it’s panic inducing plus, this is literally what I love. This is hard.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Help! I’m new and my life feels over! (Not to be dramatic)

Post by NF52 »

VedaGoldstein wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:21 pm Hello,

I found out I am APOE4 (not sure of the proper naming conventions yet) I already Mediterranean 75% of the time or more and never any red meat, pork, fried foods, lots of added sugars etc. I also was exercising 7+hours a week but not at high intensity.
....I literally make and design alcohol as my job. This is my income, my business and the major part of my life. I do not drink a ton, red wine mostly and whisky since this is where my career lies and always in moderation but it looks like alcohol is completely out for me and I literally don’t know how to make this work. ...

Does it get better? I’m looking at a career shift at the height of my career and it’s panic inducing plus, this is literally what I love. This is hard.
Welcome Veda!

Let's start with the easy question: Yes; it definitely gets better! Having ApoE 4 is only one piece of what makes you unique, so what is recommended in general can be handcrafted, just like the alcohol you make and design. I assume you only have one copy of ApoE4, which means you are like about 25-28% of people around the globe and have an increased risk, but not a pre-determined future, of cognitive issues late in life.

I'm guessing with your career you're in your 30's or 40's, not 70 like me. And so here's a thought experiment, where I substitute "stress" for "alcohol", since stress is also something that increases our risk: In my 30's, 40's and 50's, I had a very stressful job where I regularly worked 60+ hours a week supervising dozens of people and dealing with kids and families struggling with complex emotional and behavioral issues and brain injuries---and I loved it! I could never have given it up to work in a low-stress job. Over time, with some pratfalls, I learned how to keep the stress of others' lives from becoming my stress. Now, at 70 with two copies of ApoE4, I still enjoy challenges and seek out new experiences and have a healthy brain.

You don't specify if you drink because you have to taste your designs or because you are in social situations where it's expected. The former doesn't seem like it would require you to have a lot of alcohol and the latter may include others who don't drink for many reasons (pregnancy, recovering from alcohol issues, health concerns, having to fly a plane or do surgery the next day). So keep your career flying and just explore times you might be able to say, "I'm great, thanks.' Because you are!
4/4 and still an optimist!
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

VedaGoldstein wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:21 pm BUT I literally make and design alcohol as my job. This is my income, my business and the major part of my life.
If you love what you do, then make it work for you. If you drink because you need to taste, learn to spit. If it is for social situations, you just have to learn a different way to be in those situations. Social lubricant vs social glue. You got this.
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

VedaGoldstein wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:21 pm Hello,

So it wouldn’t feel like it would be a lot for me to switch my diet and exercise BUT I literally make and design alcohol as my job. This is my income, my business and the major part of my life. I do not drink a ton, red wine mostly and whisky since this is where my career lies and always in moderation but it looks like alcohol is completely out for me and I literally don’t know how to make this work.

So far I found out no alcohol, no dairy (I wasn’t a big dairy person but had a several week latte order that kept me sane) etc and I feel like i is couldn’t handle giving up some things but it feels like everything I love is gone.

Welcome Veda,
It looks like NF52 has answered your specific question about carrying the ApoE4 allele and alcohol consumption. As a welcome intern, I'd like to welcome you to the forum and make sure you know about the many resources available to you. First of all, the Primer offers accessible science background and prioritized sensible preventative measures. It is written by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. Other good resources include the search engine on our site, PubMed and the internet, at large. In addition, the WIKI is a searchable document that has lots of information about many ApoE4 issues and treatments. Finally, the Our Stories page is a place to view the experiences and questions from other members and, if you want, a place for you to post your story, as well.

As evidenced by the reply you already received from NF52, I am sure you will find the members of ApoE4info.com to be a supportive group. Please feel free to post additional questions and to reply to others' posts as well.

Wishing you the best as you navigate this new territory.

Kathleen
VedaGoldstein
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VedaGoldstein »

Thank you so much for the replies. I have no problems giving up drinking "for fun" work just makes it hard and it's mentally challenging to navigate. Hearing from other people is crazy helpful-thank you!
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Veda

Some people have already suggested tasting and spitting. You say, "giving up drinking for fun is not a problem". But it does sound like giving up drink AND lattes is what's making it seem hard. Is that right? And are there other things you need to give up that are bothering you too? Is it just the size of the change at hand?

Can you try some alternatives - soy milk or almond milk lattes? I know it won't be exactly the same, but...

Can you think of other treats that you can have that aren't food related? eg a lovely bath, or a walk, or what would you love to do that you aren't currently making time for? What did you do in the past that you really enjoyed? Could you make some time for something like that instead?

I know it all feels a bit of a big job when we first see all the lifestyle changes we need to make. But try to just make one small step at a time. Maybe even just cut down on lattes to start with (ie instead of cutting them out completely). Small steps add up!

Good luck!

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach