Introducing Myself - Finally

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Introducing Myself - Finally

Post by Jane S »

Hello ApoE4.info folks!

I'm not new to the site. I registered a couple years ago, and have been using the resources, listening to the podcasts, and participating in the virtual meet-up. All that has been super helpful! But I have yet to introduce myself or engage in the discussion forums.

Alzheimer's dementia shows up significantly on one side of my family. My Mom, two of her three siblings, and their mother all had Alzheimer's related dementia. (Well, I don't actually know the diagnosis of two of them, but their journeys are very similar.) Through 23andMe, I found out that I have ApoE 3/3. Don't know my Mom's status, but she must have had at least one 3.

Anyway, even though I don't have an ApoE 4 variant, I know that my risks are not zero, so I've launched a mission to avoid dementia. This website is really important for me on that mission. And now, I'm getting more engaged in the forums to get even more out of it.

Some steps in this preventing dementia adventure have been pretty straightforward for me to implement. I learn about a topic, gain an understanding of why I should do (or shouldn't do) something, I make a plan, and then I do it. Other aspects have been much more of a challenge for me to really make a part of my life. That's why I think getting more involved in the forums might help me. I can get motivated by others' successes; and maybe something I have to share will motivate that. Guess that's what this is all about. :-)

Thanks all for lending your interest, research, feelings, challenges, etc. We can learn so much from each other.
--- Jane S ---
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introducing Myself - Finally

Post by TLS »

Thank you for sharing Jane! It's always helpful to hear people's stories. I think it's great you are taking a proactive approach. There are multiple types of dementia and as you say, taking the advice on this site is a good way to put yourself in the best position to avoid the disease!
apoe 3/4
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introducing Myself - Finally

Post by TCHC »

Hi Jane

It's so good to hear that you're getting value from this website and that you're able to research things for yourself and that provides you the motivation to take action!
What are some of the things that you mention that have been more of a challenge? Maybe I (or someone else) can give you some suggestions.

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach