Ideal diet for my Mom APoE 3/4 to gain some weight back

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
artbellio
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ideal diet for my Mom APoE 3/4 to gain some weight back

Post by artbellio »

I thought I'd post an update.
I think I mentioned that my mother started acupuncture treatments. Well it's helping! And I'm really greatful. She is eating more and having less pain. Our goal is to help her gain some weight, and continue with treatment to repair her heart. Once we get that, she will be in shape for hyperbaric sessions which will help heal the brain.

BTW the coconut sweet potato soup is so delicious! She loves it. I used coconut creme- I hope that's ok. As someone mentioned "she needs calories!"
I'm here for my mom (3/4), advanced Alzheimer's , just had a stroke in Nov 2020.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

artbellio wrote:I thought I'd post an update.
BTW the coconut sweet potato soup is so delicious! She loves it. I used coconut creme- I hope that's ok. As someone mentioned "she needs calories!"
Hi artbellio, So happy to hear that your mom is doing better and that acupuncture treatments are helping. Whatever works to keep her from losing weight ...and hopefully puts some of those lost pounds back on...sound good from my perspective. I agree that "she needs calories" in whatever form you are able to provide them since her weight was crashing down.
It is great that you have found something that is delicious and that she enjoys.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
artbellio
Contributor
Contributor

Post by artbellio »

floramaria wrote:
artbellio wrote:I thought I'd post an update.
Hi artbellio, So happy to hear that your mom is doing better and that acupuncture treatments are helping. Whatever works to keep her from losing weight ...and hopefully puts some of those lost pounds back on...sound good from my perspective. I agree that "she needs calories" in whatever form you are able to provide them since her weight was crashing down.
It is great that you have found something that is delicious and that she enjoys.

Thank you Floramaria!
I'm here for my mom (3/4), advanced Alzheimer's , just had a stroke in Nov 2020.
Toad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Toad »

Hi
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but Thiamine Deficiency can cause constipation, and also lack of appetite.
Sometimes through food, or supplement tablets are not enough, and IV Thiamine (usually packaged with other vitamins to aid absorption) or injection are options. It is very easy to become deficient in B1, as it is water soluble and generally only approximately 2 weeks worth of supply is stored. Unfortunately, it also necessary in the absorption and storage process which is another issue.
Also chiropractor for migraines could be an option.
Hope this is useful for someone...