coaches vs. doctors

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Travis
New User
New User

coaches vs. doctors

Post by Travis »

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Recode coaches versus Recode doctors?
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Re: coaches vs. doctors

Post by Alexia C »

Travis wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm What are the advantages and disadvantages of Recode coaches versus Recode doctors?
Hello Travis,

Thank you for your question. I know from your previous post you have read Dr. Bredesen's book ,"The End of Alzheimer's", and are already taking preventive steps to improve your health journey!

Regarding your question about advantages/disadvantages of ReCODE Coaches vs ReCODE Doctors let me quote from Apollo Health website the following:

"Practitioners and coaches have distinct but synergistic roles in the protocol journey. A Bredesen Trained Practitioner will use data generated by a PreCODE or ReCODE report to provide a prescriptive treatment plan for a patient. A practitioner might be considered the “what” of the protocol. Keeping with that theme, coaches work with clients to strategize and facilitate the “how-to.” Consistent and sustainable success in preventing or reversing cognitive decline requires both of these critical components."

You can read further about the advantages of Health Coaching here: Health Coaching.

Some doctors use the Bredesen Protocol without going through Apollo Health, which is Dr. Bredesen's company, while others are listed through Apollo Health as ReCODE-certified. Most doctors/coaches have an initial free consultation (at least by phone/zoom) so you may want to contact a few different providers/ coaches to find who you feel most comfortable with.

We have a number of resources in our wiki, including ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners and ApoE4- Aware Health Coaches that might be of assistance to you.

I hope this clears up some of your question. I am sure other members will contribute further.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out with any other concerns or inquiries.

Warmly,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: coaches vs. doctors

Post by JML »

Travis wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm What are the advantages and disadvantages of Recode coaches versus Recode doctors?
This is a great question. ReCODE doctors provide the treatment plan ("the what") and health coaches can help you implement all of the protocol elements in your life ("the how"). A good health coach could be the most accessible member of your care team, and can spend more time with you to help you find your motivation, remove barriers, and cheer you on as you make progress. A health coach who is ReCODE 2.0 certified can also help answer your questions about the program.

You will particularly need to consider using a practitioner if your ReCODE report indicates that you need help with detoxing (they order the tests to figure out if you have been exposed to metals, mold, Lyme, environmental toxins) or with hormones (require a prescription and someone who is knowledgeable in this area). If you are in prevention mode and don't need help with toxins or hormones, you may be able to work with a health coach only. However if you already have symptoms of cognitive decline, time is of the essence, and working with the right practitioner can help you identify and tackle your own multiple "holes in the roof" faster.

Note that some health coaches have other credentials (PA, NP) and may be able to prescribe.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach