CETP and APOE4

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
atlantisw
Contributor
Contributor

CETP and APOE4

Post by atlantisw »

Hello!

This article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5586214/) shows that APOE4 carriers with CETPV405V experiences a lower cognitive decline rate.

So for these of your with rs5882 mutated from A to G, you will probably have slower decline. Good news!

Thanks!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: CETP and APOE4

Post by SusanJ »

atlantisw wrote:So for these of your with rs5882 mutated from A to G, you will probably have slower decline.
Thanks for posting.

No luck here. I'll just have to keep working the other angles for now.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

atlantisw wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:35 pm Hello!

This article (CETP Genotype Modifies the Effect of Apolipoprotein ε4 on Memory Decline in Older Adults) shows that APOE4 carriers with CETPV405V experiences a lower cognitive decline rate.

So for these of your with rs5882 mutated from A to G, you will probably have slower decline. Good news!

Thanks!
Always good to find counterbalances to risk in our genes! I took the liberty of adding the title so folks could see that, and then was curious enough to check articles that followed that one> HDL from an Alzheimer's disease perspective is a 2019 article that cites your source, and expands upon the hypothesized protective role of HDL. As someone who came up with the (again!) unlucky homozygous rs5882 AA alleles, I am glad that my HDL has increased 66% in the last 6 years. And as this excerpt suggests, there may be hope on the horizon for those with genetic risk of low HDL, coronary artery disease and AD.
Many epidemiological studies have observed that circulating HDL levels associate with decreased Alzheimer's disease risk..Animal model studies demonstrate that HDL protects against memory deficits, neuroinflammation, and cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA). In-vitro studies using state-of-the-art 3D models of the human blood-brain barrier (BBB) confirm that HDL reduces vascular Aβ accumulation and attenuates Aβ-induced endothelial inflammation. Although HDL-based therapeutics have not been tested in clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease , several HDL formulations are in advanced phase clinical trials for coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis and could be leveraged toward Alzheimer's disease .

Summary:...Assays of HDL functions relevant to Alzheimer's disease may be desirable biomarkers of cerebrovascular health. HDL-based therapeutics may also be of interest for Alzheimer's disease, using stand-alone or combination therapy approaches.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks for this! I’ve always wondered if my GG might mitigate my risk a bit. My HDL is always over 100.
Yay finally a good one!
bdday610
New User
New User

Post by bdday610 »

Does this mean you only see benefits if you are a CETP G/G or do you also see benefits if you are CETP A/G? I apologize if this is a silly question. I just recently learned I am a APOE4 carrier (3/4) and just starting to learn about all of this. Most of it is very confusing to me. :) Thanks!
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jane S »

bdday610 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:12 pm Does this mean you only see benefits if you are a CETP G/G or do you also see benefits if you are CETP A/G? I apologize if this is a silly question. I just recently learned I am a APOE4 carrier (3/4) and just starting to learn about all of this. Most of it is very confusing to me. :) Thanks!
Hello,

Welcome! Thank you for joining our site and posting in the forum.

You might want to check out this link from Snpedia, which says that having one copy of the "longevity gene" is associated with "lower risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease, higher good cholesterol."
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs5882(A;G) And I'm sure other members will provide you with some feedback.

As a Support Team Intern, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. I'll share some tools/resources you can use to explore the site, helping you get the most out of your experience.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members, you can check out Our Stories.

I'm so glad you joined and look forward to meeting you around the forum. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,

Jane
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jane S »

bdday610 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:12 pm I apologize if this is a silly question.
bdday610,
I forgot to mention that there are no silly questions here. We're all learning, and we're all on different places along that journey. Use that curiosity of yours to find all the answers you need.
--- Jane ---
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach