Newbie- Respectfully inquiring about article

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
drevilga
New User
New User

Newbie- Respectfully inquiring about article

Post by drevilga »

Hello. My name is Drew. 56 years old and recently found out I was 3/4. My father passed of AD 3 years ago, so this is really not a surprise. Last drink was a month ago and have been manic about food and exercise ever since. I am sure that this is a common theme. I am new to this forum and have felt a kinship amongst the posts.

I check on this forum daily for new information. I stumbled upon a study that I thought was compelling and did not see it in any of the threads. I do not know the protocol here so I respectfully submit the link and would appreciate any feedback.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-023-00368-3?s=09

I hold out hope that we do find treatments to prevent and/or treat AD. It has all been so overwhelming and I find it strangely comforting knowing that you all have been through the stages that I am going through. I am still in the anger stage but hope to move on soon. Best to all. Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newbie- Respectfully inquiring about article

Post by NF52 »

drevilga wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pm Hello. My name is Drew. 56 years old and recently found out I was 3/4. My father passed of AD 3 years ago, so this is really not a surprise. Last drink was a month ago and have been manic about food and exercise ever since. I am sure that this is a common theme. I am new to this forum and have felt a kinship amongst the posts.

I check on this forum daily for new information. I stumbled upon a study that I thought was compelling and did not see it in any of the threads. I do not know the protocol here so I respectfully submit the link and would appreciate any feedback.

Neuronal APOE4 removal protects against tau-mediated gliosis, neurodegeneration and myelin deficits

I hold out hope that we do find treatments to prevent and/or treat AD. It has all been so overwhelming and I find it strangely comforting knowing that you all have been through the stages that I am going through. I am still in the anger stage but hope to move on soon. Best to all. Drew
Welcome, Drew!

As a Moderator, let me assure you that we appreciate you posting this study, published online last month in the journal Nature. I've edited your helpful link to show the title, above and also thought our members would appreciate a brief excerpt below from the Discussion section of the article with another link to the PDF of the article.
This study is in a genetically-engineered mouse model of tauopathy. Having mice that have a known pattern of accumulating tau tangles inside their neurons allows for just the kind of "preclinical" animal studies that may lead to eventual trials of similar drugs to actually remove ApoE4 in humans. Right now, there are human clinical trials being designed to remove tau; this would be an amazing upstream removal of one cause of tau in Apoe4 carriers.
In the present study, we investigate the roles of neuronal APOE4 in promoting the development of prominent AD pathologies in a tauopathy mouse model. We demonstrate that the removal of neuronal APOE4 has wide-ranging beneficial effects, leading to drastic reductions (1) in the accumulation and spread of pathological tau throughout the hippocampus; (2) in neurodegeneration and hippocampal neuron loss; (3) in myelin deficits and depletion of oligodendrocytes and OPCs; (4) in neuronal network hyperexcitability; (5) in microgliosis and astrogliosis and (6) in the accumulation of neurodegenerative disease-associated cell subpopulations. These findings illustrate that neuronal APOE4 is a potent driver of these AD-related pathologies and that its removal is sufficient to attenuate these disease phenotypes. Thus, our study reveals a central role of neuronal APOE4 in the pathogenesis of APOE4-driven AD and provides new insights into potential therapeutic targets to combat APOE4-related AD, such as through the removal or reduction of neuronal APOE4.
Neuronal APOE4 removal protects against tau-mediated gliosis, neurodegeneration and myelin deficits.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4/4 and still an optimist!
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

drevilga wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pm Hello. My name is Drew. 56 years old and recently found out I was 3/4. My father passed of AD 3 years ago, so this is really not a surprise. Last drink was a month ago and have been manic about food and exercise ever since. I am sure that this is a common theme. I am new to this forum and have felt a kinship amongst the posts.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-023-00368-3?s=09

Welcome drevilga!
Thank you for joining our site and posting in our forum. I am so glad you have found this community as it is a great resource and support system for those of us dealing with the diagnosis of carrying an A4 allele or as a caregiver/family member. There is hope and an outcome of AD is not a given.. many here on the forum carry a gene but are not showing any cognitive decline. You did not share any information regarding the loss of your father to AD but we do know much more about the impact of lifestyle choices on AD and the expression of the gene than our parents did and you can find so many enriching topics and conversations here that offer additional perspectives on impacting outcomes.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience if you would like to explore the site in more detail. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and shared bit of information about yourself. I look forward to seeing you on the forum in the future and continuing to share your information. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
drevilga
New User
New User

Post by drevilga »

Thank you NF52 and Angie for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning more about everyone. Drew