Our first guest: Dr. Thomas Dayspring...

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Our first guest: Dr. Thomas Dayspring...

Post by GenePoole0304 »

"but I don't think that the analyses showing that ezetimibe doesn't have an effect on actual CVD events separated out hyperabsorbers. I suspect that everything is lumped together."

yes that is the major point...we all appear to be hyper absorbers so then have to take it the reasoning to a new level.
there is more but I'd have to review DrDaysprings lecturepad site as I presented another reason why I used one of his slides which I showed to my doctor but can't remember why off hand. I have to think about it and review my notes if I can find it. I'm think it was related to E4 status.
for now here is more info on zetia..you need to do s free sign-up to see it.. They re arranged the site and I have a screen shot of the slide but it could be on either of 3 computers so it will take me time to find...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/845866

There is a generic of zietia now available at least in Canada for a while now.

ok on this laptop I have a case study see attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sigv
New User
New User

Post by sigv »

rep wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 pm On paleo I had high TC of 240, high LDL-C over 160, an LDL-P over 2000 and coronary calcium score in the 85th percentile (and it doubled in one year!) I now know not to expose myself to any more calcium scans.
So, at least while eating paleo (for years) I developed a high LDL-P AND heart disease. Inflammation markers were all good though.
I changed to Stavia's recommendations of lower saturated fat with more fish and vegetables two months ago and will be re-testing in the next couple weeks so it should be interesting.
Can you give us an update on if changing your diet made a difference?
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

sigv wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:59 pm
rep wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 pm On paleo I had high TC of 240, high LDL-C over 160, an LDL-P over 2000 and coronary calcium score in the 85th percentile (and it doubled in one year!) I now know not to expose myself to any more calcium scans.
So, at least while eating paleo (for years) I developed a high LDL-P AND heart disease. Inflammation markers were all good though.
I changed to Stavia's recommendations of lower saturated fat with more fish and vegetables two months ago and will be re-testing in the next couple weeks so it should be interesting.
Welcome sigv!
Thank you for joining our site and posting in the forum. I am sure there are other members that will provide you with some feedback on your question. One tip I wanted to share is to click on the user's name of any post you’re reading and it will show when that person was last active on the forum. GenePoole64 hasn't been on the forum since 2017, however, the good news is that if you do a search for Dr. "Dayspring", or "high LDL-P" or similar terms, you will find lots of resources.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience if you would like to explore the site in more detail. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Hi Sigi,

It's true I haven't been active for a very long time. But I received an email today that you had posted on something I had written long ago. I changed from Paleo to a diet of primarily fish and vegetables. Regrettably, after one entire year of the fish diet I re-tested and none of my cholesterol numbers changed. In my case at least, my bad cholesterol seems to be genetic.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

rep wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm Hi Sigi,

It's true I haven't been active for a very long time. But I received an email today that you had posted on something I had written long ago. I changed from Paleo to a diet of primarily fish and vegetables. Regrettably, after one entire year of the fish diet I re-tested and none of my cholesterol numbers changed. In my case at least, my bad cholesterol seems to be genetic.
Thank you for the quick reply! Wonderful to have you back again and thank you for taking the time to reply. Curious if you did find an eating plan that helped you with your numbers?
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I would like to share my numbers with you and everyone, after I started eating a whole foods plant based LOW FAT:
My LDL went from 114 to 72 in two months
My ApoB went from 90 to 71 in two months
My glycemic numbers stayed the same (A1c 5.2/fasting glucose 85)
I feel great on this diet and am so happy to have found something that works for me, so I wanted to share!

I used to eat about 12-15g of saturated fat a day. Now I eat about 3 g of saturated fat per day. The fat I get is mostly from plants, nuts, seeds, and of course omega 3 supplements. Low fat tends to mean 10-15% of daily calories. I'm rarely as low as 10%. Most days I'm at 15-20% and I do make exceptions at times.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

Plumster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:05 pm
I would like to share my numbers with you and everyone, after I started eating a whole foods plant based LOW FAT:
I feel great on this diet and am so happy to have found something that works for me, so I wanted to share!

I used to eat about 12-15g of saturated fat a day. Now I eat about 3 g of saturated fat per day. The fat I get is mostly from plants, nuts, seeds, and of course omega 3 supplements. Low fat tends to mean 10-15% of daily calories. I'm rarely as low as 10%. Most days I'm at 15-20% and I do make exceptions at times.
Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.... it's so important to tune in to what works for each our our individual bodies needs and what makes you feel good.
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

Plumster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:05 pm

I might need to consider this, Plumster--thank you so much for sharing. Even as a 3/3, I saw my lipids shoot through the roof when I did low carb without limiting saturated fat. I was WAY overconsuming coconut milk/oil, full-fat dairy, etc. I quit that stuff and my last labs were slightly improved (LDL down from 161 to 145), but I haven't had my ApoB measured since LDL was 161, and at that point it was 114. Trigs and HDL numbers have been good, and LP(a) is below 10. Every woman in my family has had postmenopausal high cholesterol like this--they've also all had late onset dementia. I don't know my mother's or grandmother's or great-grandmother's APOE status, but I do know in my mom's case, there have been several additional factors that might've contributed to her dementia, including insulin resistance, too much alcohol, not enough sleep and lack of exercise. And her dementia really became noticeable around the time she started taking a statin, about 8 years ago, when she was in her late 70s. I'm not sure I would go fully plant based--I have osteoporosis and low BMI, so I'm always on the hunt for complete protein. But getting that saturated fat down further probably needs to happen. Again, thank you for sharing.
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Anne, I wonder if you have seen the study discussed here. Also, there are a couple of relevant studies linked earlier in that topic, here.
anne from california wrote:
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

MarcR wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 am Anne, I wonder if you have seen the study discussed here. Also, there are a couple of relevant studies linked earlier in that topic, here.
anne from california wrote:
Thanks, Marc. I sure wish these studies included ApoB. That's the number (114) that got my attention more than anything else on this lipids stuff. That and my LDL-P of about 1600, and small particles at 188 (the range on the NMR was <28.) Despite high LDL being an issue for my female ancestors after menopause, no one has died of CVD and in fact most of them lived into their 90s. With dementia.
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!