Intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
sigv
New User
New User

Intro

Post by sigv »

I am a fit 58-year-old male, 6’1’, 170lbs, I play sports and lead a very active lifestyle. My body fat (per Dexa) is 13.5%.

I am Apoe 3/4

I started noticing a dramatic decline in my athletic performance (primarily ice hockey 2-3x/wk) about 3 years ago. I had shortness of breath and got tired significantly quicker than before. In March of 2019, I reported this to my doctor, who looked me over and gave me an exercise tolerance test which I passed with flying colors. My doctor attributed it to “getting old”.

Last week I had a Cardiac Calcium Scan and my Agiston score was 555. This was a huge surprise for sure.

I did have a genetic consult, and the following was pointed out:
  • I am slightly more sensitive to Lectins (Plant Toxins) (+/- MBL2 [3] - rs1800450). He told me to Test my arteries for plaque via a Calcium CT Scan (Coronary Calcium Scan). If your score is > 0 a CT Scan, be strict in avoidance and keep doing a CT Scan annually.
  • Plant Sterols - **Avoid sitosterols (aka "phytosterols", which means"plant cholesterol"). Specifically, be extremely sparing with plants(all plants) in your diet. IF you test high for artery plaque or have food sensitivities, low energy, hormone issues, etc. a nose-to-tail carnivore diet might be key. Finally, also exclude supplements that contain whole-plant extracts. (+/- ABCG5 - rs11887534, +/- ABCG8 - rs41360247)
Before this test, I was really heavy on vegetables and fruits. Given my genetic profile, both the geneticist and I believe this plant-based diet over the past 20 years was probably the cause.

Current Diet:
No grains (per wheat belly book), low carb, a carnivore with some fruits (mostly berries and grapes). Almost no vegetables. No smoking, alcohol or drugs. Since I switched I feel a lot better (laterally my daily aches and pains disappeared and I now sleep much better).

Average macros:
  • ~2,300 = 2,700 Calories / day

125-175g fat/day

50-70g Saturated fat/day

40-50g carbs/day

180-225g protein/day

~5-15g fiber/day
Latest Labs:
  • Cholesterol: 313 (up from 245 on 12/17/2022)

Triglycerides: 48 (down from 51 on 12/17/2022)

HDL: 71 (up from 66 on 12/17/2022)

LDL (Calc): 232 (up from 169 on 12/17/2022)

Lipoprotein (a) : 86 nmol/L

CHOL/HDL Ration: 4.4 (up from 3.7 on 12/17/2022)

High Sensitivity CRP: 0.2 mg/L

Vitamin D: 74 ng/mL

Magnesium: 2.0 mg/dL

Glucose: 94 mg/dL

Diet:
No grains, low carb, a carnivore with some fruits (mostly berries and grapes). Almost no vegetables. No smoking, alcohol or drugs.

Average macros:
  • ~2,300 = 2,700 Calories / day

125-175g fat/day

50-70g Saturated fat/day

40-50g carbs/day

180-225g protein/day

~5-15g fiber/day

So my big issue is that, from what I can gather, is being APOE3/4 I should avoid SF. I can't have plants or lectins which leads me to go mostly carnivore (which I feel much better on) which is high in SF (about 50-70g.day). I need to find a diet that I can eat.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intro

Post by TLS »

Hi Sigv,
Your post is very, very interesting! The genetic info shows that while we may have APOE 4 in common, we most likely have different genes in other areas.

The Dr. Steven Gundry low lectin protocol may be helpful to you. There are members on this forum who follow his program and are doing well. He has a book called the Plant Paradox and if you search this site, you will find many posts regarding lectins. Here is a link to the wiki page on this site for his protocol. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Dr_Gundry%27s_Protocol

There are veggies that are low in lectins you may be able to add into your diet for variety.
apoe 3/4