Hello! Newbie here...

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
RocketsDad
New User
New User

Hello! Newbie here...

Post by RocketsDad »

Hi Everyone,
So, 23andme just showed me recently that I am what I believe you folks call a 4/4. My mother has AD and so did her mother and most her siblings who lived past the age of 80. I'm 58 years old and as you would expect as nervous and stressed as anyone else would be. I always expected I would get dementia at some point, but with this dual gene thing, I'm stress about getting it sooner than I imagined.

My real name is Guy, if you would prefer to call me that. Rocket is my cat.
I have a physical with my primary care MD this week, and an appointment with a stress therapy counselor as well.

I'm trying to make sense of all this. I see so many different diets and suggestions for what to eat and what not to eat and what supplements to take what to take that my head is spin.

I admit, I haven't looked over everything on this board yet, but I did read through the welcome section. Is there a section that has meal planning or ideas?
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello! Newbie here...

Post by NataliaReyn »

RocketsDad wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:50 pm Hi Everyone,
So, 23andme just showed me recently that I am what I believe you folks call a 4/4. My mother has AD and so did her mother and most her siblings who lived past the age of 80. I'm 58 years old and as you would expect as nervous and stressed as anyone else would be. I always expected I would get dementia at some point, but with this dual gene thing, I'm stress about getting it sooner than I imagined.

My real name is Guy, if you would prefer to call me that. Rocket is my cat.
I have a physical with my primary care MD this week, and an appointment with a stress therapy counselor as well.

I'm trying to make sense of all this. I see so many different diets and suggestions for what to eat and what not to eat and what supplements to take what to take that my head is spin.

I admit, I haven't looked over everything on this board yet, but I did read through the welcome section. Is there a section that has meal planning or ideas?
Hello, Guy (RocketsDad)!

Welcome to our forum, and thank you for sharing your story. Also, what a great name for a cat!

So very sorry to hear about your mom and your family history of AD. You're right that there is so much health information out there, it is very overwhelming, but hopefully you will find this community supportive and helpful as you navigate this journey. It is great that you are reaching out to a counselor to help you process your emotions and this stress. It may also be helpful to remember that genetics is not everything and you will likely find stories of success on our forums when you read other members' stories.

There is a section on our Wiki Recipes from our members that you can look at for various meal ideas. You may also find information on Ketosis and AD interesting Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet and can ask your provider about this approach as well. If you would like to find another practitioner we have a list on Wiki ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners . An ApoE4-Aware Practitioner can help you figure out where you should start, especially when it comes to labs and nutrition.
I am also curious if you have heard of Dr. Dale Bredesen and his books on Alzheimer's research and the protocol for prevention and early-onset reversal. If interested, you can read about it here Bredesen Protocol and you can also find more information through Apollo Health .

Also, as a Support Team Intern, I can share a few more tips to help you explore this site.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Two more tips :
  • If you want to Search for posts on a specific topic, you can use the text box labeled "Search" right under your user name and enter those specific terms.
  • To be sure a forum member is notified of your post, just click use the large quotation mark icon in the upper right corner of they post.
Again, thanks for joining our community and your courage to share your message with us. Please feel free to reach out anytime. We are here for you!

Warmly,

Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello! Newbie here...

Post by Jane S »

RocketsDad wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:50 pm I'm trying to make sense of all this.
RocketsDad/Guy,

I love all those resources that Natalia pointed out! I'm going to check them out, too.

When trying to make sense of all this, what helps me is to try to take one thing at a time. Otherwise, I get overwhelmed. Focusing on nutrition is an excellent place to start.

Take care.
--- Jane ---
(Zoey&LilyMom - They're dogs. :-))
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach