Re: hi :)

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Re: hi :)

Post by TheresaB »

markus123 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:01 pm Do you have easy to understand information what the APOE 3 or 4 issue can mean for other health situations?
This might help, from our ApoE4.info wiki: ApoE ε4 and health conditions besides (or maybe contributing to) Alzheimer’s

The main page of the wiki can be reached from the link at the top-right of the page.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Re: hi :)

Post by abalboa »

markus123 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:01 pm Hi again, didn't want to expand the thread, but some weird question was lingering in my mind. Don't really know what I'm trying to find out, but it goes like this: Do you have easy to understand information what the APOE 3 or 4 issue can mean for other health situations?

I've read that the allels cause a) different lipid transport in the brain, b) arteriosclerosis. I know the human body is very complex, but when I'm lean (unfortunately for me fit fat persons are healthier than unfit lean persons), I thought that's some protection, is it?

It goes back to the fat topic from years ago where I did not understand how fat particles, so to speak in laymans terms, would stick to the inside of my blood vessels; yet I'm really lean and don't save fat except for a bit on my hips.

So, actually I might drop dead from fat (LDL) related arteriosclerosis, looking fit until I just drop dead. Is that true, and is it somewhat the same thing with Alzheimers disease?

In general, after taking a gene test and not wanting to spend more money, I'm latently looking for other indicators of my probable health status. The one thing left to do is begin jogging regularly, but after covid every muscle still hurts, for over a year now.

Lengthy post, sorry, best regards :)
Hi Markus123... Glad to try and help answer any questions I can and direct you to further resources. While APOE4 can elevate risks of developing AD- it is associated with other risks and diseases as well (and yes- blood lipids are one of the issues). Please see link in our wiki to related diseases Other conditions besides Alzheimer's. Additionally in the wiki we have more information related to Lipids Cholesterol, Lipids and Treatments, including statins Additionally, here is a great place to start from the primer regarding fats aka lipids fats aka lipids. This should be a good start and you can input any further specifics you have questions on in the search bar to get more information. Let me know if this helps! Have a great evening..
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
markus123
Contributor
Contributor

Post by markus123 »

Thanks! I'm still reading the linked sites. Blood test came back good, can happily say that HDL is 52 and LDLD is 107, report thingy says 100-160 is fine.

But the glucose in serum is 115, and only 60-100 is okay, and I was rather hungry (but I did eat something at the morning the day I got my blood tested). I'm having rather high glucose levels for 15 years now and it damages my nerves, I just know it, coz my mum and dad have diabetis, and more or less the same problems as I do, so my healthy diet + candy is just to weak to get me into the good range.

May I ask is there any conclusion do draw from a quite low LDL level? Eat more of some fat to get it into my brain, against atrophy? I guess eating LDL fat is the wrong idea, so I do eat HDL fats, or, I mean, linseed oil in capsules.

I have not understood from the linked sites whether there's any sign in the blood test that means anything except glucose issues for Alzheimer's; my guess is no. LDL is just a thing like glucose, but I can't draw any conclusion - from blood LDL level - about the E3/4 expression in me. Because I eat lots of fat, really lot's of chocolate. I would need another gene test, but for now, I let it be.

Thank you so much!
markus123
Contributor
Contributor

Post by markus123 »

PS:

"Evidence suggests that we might be able to bridge the deficit by supplying an alternative fuel source to our mitochondria. This means a little bit of ketones to produce some extra ATP to make our mitochondrial output back to what it should be if we weren't e4's. Cunnane's work suggest this might be achievable by lowish consistent levels of ketones - up to 0.5mmol/l."

My meat problem is, I'd like to eat more meat, but meat makes me very sugar-hungry. On the one hand it cures the sugar, on the other hand I will eat chocolate or candy for every bite of meat. Having little problems with milk, too. But no problem with egg ketones at all.

Anyway, that's what it's like. Thank you so much. :)
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

markus123 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:32 pm PS:

"Evidence suggests that we might be able to bridge the deficit by supplying an alternative fuel source to our mitochondria. This means a little bit of ketones to produce some extra ATP to make our mitochondrial output back to what it should be if we weren't e4's. Cunnane's work suggest this might be achievable by lowish consistent levels of ketones - up to 0.5mmol/l."

My meat problem is, I'd like to eat more meat, but meat makes me very sugar-hungry. On the one hand it cures the sugar, on the other hand I will eat chocolate or candy for every bite of meat. Having little problems with milk, too. But no problem with egg ketones at all.

Anyway, that's what it's like. Thank you so much. :)
I can totally relate as I like chocolate too! And a small bit of dark chocolate (70% or above) can be good source of antioxidants and minerals and just fine. I might suggest that you discuss some of your specific questions on your lipid scores with your practitioner as they can really give you educated feedback on your full test panel. I do know that lower LDL is generally good and reduces the risk of Cardiovascular disease and can be related to having the APO 2. I did see an interesting article here Genetics and High Cholesterol: How the APOE4 Gene Impacts Your Health I also wanted to share that I personally have learned a great deal about my blood glucose and normal ranges for my body (everyone is just a little different) by using a continuous blood glucose monitor for 30 days. I was great to see in real time what affected my blood glucose levels and what did not. Additionally it helped me to learn what combinations of foods would create stable blood sugar. There are many options but I used the Levels program with a Libra CGM and found it really easy to use with lots of good recipes and ingredient swaps. If you have not read Dr. Bredensens' books or protocol there is also good information on the keto/flex diet which can be helpful. Link to book The End of Alzheimer's Thank you for sharing your research and I admire your curiosity to learn more!
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition