Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by TheresaB »

Rreyn1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am I have not done genetic testing but am considering it. ...What are the ramifications of this knowledge...
Welcome to our community. For me, knowledge was life-changing for the positive because research is learning more and more every day and rather than being a "sitting duck" I feel I have some control over my health. But knowledge of APOE status is different in others.

We happen to have a write up that you should probably visit. Thinking About Testing?

I hope you make the decision that is right for you. Best to you.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NataliaReyn »

Rreyn1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am Hello. I am new here and have a question. I am not sure how to ask it or if there are things I should have been able to find here and somehow missed. I have not done genetic testing but am considering it. My mother (who I care for) has Alzheimer’s as did her brother and her mother. I am beginning to work toward the Bredesen protocol as I feel this might be my only hope. What are the ramifications of this knowledge other than it letting me be more committed to pro-activity? Do you know if you are required to divulge the info to insurance companies or any other unforeseen drawbacks to having this knowledge? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Welcome to our forums, Rreyn1!

Thank you so much for being here and sharing your story with us!
Since you are new here, I would love to share a few tools/resources to make your experience more enjoyable.
The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.
Two more tips to improve your experience here:
  • If you want to Search for posts on a specific topic, you can use the text box labeled "Search" right under your user name and enter those specific terms.
  • To be sure a forum member is notified of your post, just click use the large quotation mark icon in the upper right corner of they post.
To answer your question about testing, there is a very helpful page on our site Thinking About Testing? that you may find very informative and it may help you make a decision, including insurance concerns. I am sure that on our forums here you will find members who have been in similar situations.

Also, so sorry to hear about your mom going through this, but it's so good that she has you taking care of her. Having said that, being a caregiver is a stressful job, so hopefully you are taking care of yourself and have support. It is great that you are working on prevention and applying the Bredesen protocol. I know there are lots of pieces to that protocol and it can get overwhelming but even just taking small steps daily can add up in the end. This community is always here for you as well if you have any more questions.

Again, thank you for connecting with us here on the site and please do not hesitate to reach out.

Warmly,

Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach
Johnmark
New User
New User

Post by Johnmark »

I appreciate this website. My wife has the "double" Apoe4 and has a multi-generation history of Alzheimer's. She has been dealing with it personally since 2016. We have recently added the ReCode protocol and appreciate learning the tricks of the trade...
JennyR
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JennyR »

Johnmark wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:44 am I appreciate this website. My wife has the "double" Apoe4 and has a multi-generation history of Alzheimer's. She has been dealing with it personally since 2016. We have recently added the ReCode protocol and appreciate learning the tricks of the trade...
Hi Johnmark and welcome! I'm so glad you found the Forum and hope you know that we appreciate you being here and sharing a bit of your own story (and that of your wife). It sounds like you all have been through a lot--it takes courage to keep researching and learning new "tricks of the trade". As you've likely gathered, there is a great deal of info on the site. Much has been shared above but I will highlight a few pages as you're beginning to explore:
- The How-to-Guide includes practical navigation and formatting tips.
- Here is a link with tips for more advanced searching of the site. This may be helpful as you delve into ReCode as there are many hits on the topic!

It sounds like you are a thoughtful and supportive caregiver which must give your wife so much strength. I hope you are able to take care of yourself some, too, in the midst of all the caregiving! Please reach out here with any specific questions--you are not alone!

With love, in health,
Jenny
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
MBA