My porridge recipe

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
RebeccaJ
Contributor
Contributor

My porridge recipe

Post by RebeccaJ »

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for recipes, but I wanted to share, enjoy!

When I first went low carb I really missed porridge type breakfasts. My favorite was Cream of Rice, arguably not healthy for anyone, even without e4. :roll: I’ve been making many different versions of this recipe for several years. I think I finally got it right. It’s now my go-to weekend breakfast. I generally stick to a lower carb diet, but allow more whole food carbs on the weekend, including some fruit. I’ve been moving away from using sweeteners in general, and usually use fruit in the recipe if I want it sweet.

Basic Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1-2 T Hemp hearts
2 T Coconut flour
3 T ground flax seed

Swaps:
Can use any milk that fits your diet, or water
Hemp hearts are optional, use more or less depending on your protein requirements
I haven’t tested any swap for the coconut flour, maybe almond flour, but you would have to use a lot more.
Ground flax seed is essential to the recipe, otherwise the texture will be all wrong

Instructions:
In a small saucepan, heat almond milk, hemp hearts, and coconut flour. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5+ minutes. Longer time will give a thicker texture
Remove from heat, stir in flax seed
Cover, and let rest for 5-10 minutes.

Optional flavorings:
Extracts (vanilla, maple, ect) - cook with the milk
Fruit- cook with the milk
Nuts- mix in with the flax seed
Spices (cinnamon, ginger, ect) mix in with the flax seed
Powdered sweeteners (stevia, swerve, ect) - mix in with the flax seed
Liquid sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, monkfruit syrups ect) - stir in at the very end
Nut butters- stir in at the very end

My faves..

*Cinnamon raisin- add some raisins and vanilla extract to the milk, add lots of cinnamon to the flax seed
*Apple cinnamon- dice 1 small apple (I leave the peel on), add to the milk, add lots of cinnamon to the flax seed
*Banana nut- add half a banana, mashed, and maple extract to the milk, add chopped pecans and cinnamon to the flax seed
*pumpkin pie- add 100 grams canned pumpkin and maple extract to the milk, add pumpkin pie spice to the flax seed, stir in a little maple syrup or honey at the end (I used to use brown sugar swerve in this one)
Rebecca 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: My porridge recipe

Post by TheresaB »

Thanks for sharing, sounds delicious.

You know we have an ApoE4.info wiki Recipes from our members, that recipe would be a wonderful addition.

If unfamiliar with wiki editing, respond here and I can add the recipe for you if you'd like it to be added.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4