What is "LD" on my annual lab?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

What is "LD" on my annual lab?

Post by Plumster »

Hi all,

I just had my annual labs done and while I will be seeing my doctor in five weeks, I would love to know now what "ld" (not LDL) stands for on my lab results. When I look up "ld" online, it could be Lactate Dehydrogenase? On the lab, it shows up after GGT and before Uric Acid in case that helps provide context. My lab results show that I am low but there is no explanation. Anyone know what ld stands for?

Thanks in advance!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What is "LD" on my annual lab?

Post by Quantifier »

Hi Plumster. Yes, LD or LDH stands for lactate dehydrogenase. I knew that high levels were a sign of tissue damage, but I've never heard of any significance of low levels. According to LDH test, Cleveland Clinic,
What does it mean if my LDH levels are low?
Having a lower-than-normal LDH test result is uncommon.

Lower-than-normal LDH levels may indicate a very rare genetic condition called lactate dehydrogenase A deficiency (glycogen storage disease XI) or lactate dehydrogenase B deficiency.

High vitamin C consumption can cause falsely low LDH test results.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

OK, if you have LDH deficiency, you would be experiencing muscle pain, cramps, and fatigue, especially during/after exercise.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Plumster wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:29 am Hi all,

I just had my annual labs done and while I will be seeing my doctor in five weeks, I would love to know now what "ld" (not LDL) stands for on my lab results. When I look up "ld" online, it could be Lactate Dehydrogenase? On the lab, it shows up after GGT and before Uric Acid in case that helps provide context. My lab results show that I am low but there is no explanation. Anyone know what ld stands for?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Plumster,

It's possible that your "low" score is what my former clinical study doctor called NCS--"No clinical significance". He meant that occasionally one or two lab results on the MANY blood tests they ran was only a tiny bit higher or lower than the "normal range" AND that only a BIG difference in that particular value would suggest a problem.

In contrast to his "NCS" notes, he did alert me to a B12 value of 426 and recommended 500 mcg of methycobalamin B12 daily, even some references sat that 426 is "normal." His recommendation is in line with Dr. Bredesen's recommendation to have B12 above 500. So I trusted them on what to worry about and what not to worry about!

Here's what UCSF Health says:
Normal value range is 105 to 333 international units per liter (IU/L). Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different samples. Talk to your provider about the meaning of your specific results.
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/medical-test ... nase test]
4/4 and still an optimist!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Quantifier wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:44 am OK, if you have LDH deficiency, you would be experiencing muscle pain, cramps, and fatigue, especially during/after exercise.
Thank you, Quantifier. I thought I read online that one may not have symptoms at all. But I do eat a lot of Vitamin C, so this rare disease is unlikely to be the issue.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

NF52 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:18 am Here's what UCSF Health says:
Normal value range is 105 to 333 international units per liter (IU/L). Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different samples. Talk to your provider about the meaning of your specific results.
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/medical-test ... nase test]
Thank you for your reply, NF52. My score is 105, so that is clearly within the normal range, even if Quest Diagnostics has a different range (120-250 U/L).