Aging is - by FAR - the biggest risk factor for dementia...

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Aging is - by FAR - the biggest risk factor for dementia

Post by Gilgamesh »

Genes are important, to be sure.

But with the worst possible early-onset AD genetic hand dealt to you, you still won't get Alzheimer's before the age of 30. Guaranteed not. Biological aging (which coincides with chronological aging differently in diff. people) is an absolutely necessary condition for the development of Alz. (and most other forms of dementia). That can't be said of any other risk factor.

Stop aging, stop Alzheimer's. Slow aging, slow Alzheimer's.

Stop (eventually...):
http://www.sens.org/

Slow (now):
http://www.crsociety.org/

GB
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

I wrote:
Stop (eventually...):
http://www.sens.org/
Actually, I realize that's inaccurate. What SENS is trying to do is actually not stop aging, or not simply stop aging. It's a radically different approach. The idea is to learn how to "undo aging", or repair the damage caused by aging. For example, don't stop the build-up of lipofuscin. That's too hard! Just learn how to clear it.

Nice paper about the importance of fighting aging is here:

http://www.cardi.ie/userfiles/Lifestar.pdf

GB
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Yall know my views on where I want to put my focus: anti-aging efforts.

Here's some good news on that front: Google's Calico has taken a step forward. It's only the launch of its website, but that's a sign they're getting down to business:

http://www.calicolabs.com/

Slow aging, slow the onset of AD. Stop aging, stop the onset of AD.

GB
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

Julie G wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 pm FWIW, I did ask Dr. Perlmutter about that, Asia. Turns out to be a big No-No for us. Apparently, a small amount does make it's way through our leaker BBB. ApoE4 is about going au naturel No worries; the clean living is w-a-y more effective than Botox :D
Thanks Julie for this information. Several years have passed and it is still relevant. I started botox 3 years ago. I thought it was not doing much for me, but I stopped it when I had the first cognitive issues because they started just after I took a shot of it.

Later, I investigated a little bit if there was a link between botox and AD and didn't find any study that looked at it, but I read that botox don't stay on the skin surface. It is absorbed and enters the nervous system. At that point I knew I shouldn't use it again.

Now more than one year has passed and I have so many wrinkles under my eyes 😥. I thought the botox wasn't doing anything because I was using it every 6 months, but now I am sure it was doing a lot.

That's why I searched for information here in the forum and found your post. It seems I will continue to have wrinkles... a lot of them because I am skinny 😂 My brain is my priority, so I will have to accept it.

Maria 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Maria4/4 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:07 am
Now more than one year has passed and I have so many wrinkles under my eyes 😥. I thought the botox wasn't doing anything because I was using it every 6 months, but now I am sure it was doing a lot.

That's why I searched for information here in the forum and found your post. It seems I will continue to have wrinkles... a lot of them because I am skinny 😂 My brain is my priority, so I will have to accept it.

Maria 4/4
Hi Maria, try red light therapy for your wrinkles and your health. It's all natural, and you can find all sorts of cosmetic devices online.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Welcomeaboard wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:51 pm Well then I will just not age and solve that damn problem and everybody says there is no cure or prevention, HA HA! I say to them.
Welcome Aboard, this made me laugh out loud! Then I had a little cry. :D
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

Plumster wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:08 am
Hi Maria, try red light therapy for your wrinkles and your health. It's all natural, and you can find all sorts of cosmetic devices online.
Thanks a lot Plumster. Great idea 😁