Chris Palmer, THC and mitochondrial dysfunction

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
BenF
Contributor
Contributor

Chris Palmer, THC and mitochondrial dysfunction

Post by BenF »

Hi everyone,

I was seeking some clarification after reading Chris Palmer’s book Brain Energy. His thesis seems to be basically that mental health = metabolic health and a very common cause of ill health in both realms is mitochondrial dysfunction, which can often the alleviated by a ketogenic diet. He is certainly on to something hugely underappreciated at present.

But my query is on THC. He cites strong evidence of THC causing mitochondrial dysfunction (in anything other than tiny amounts, which can be beneficial to MD). This can also lead to leaky blood brain barrier and the cascade effects leading to dementia. In this forum’s wiki, the evidence is all very positive on THC. My own look through google scholar shows not much on this particular topic, and small but permanent negative effects on memory from long term usage. A lot of people here seem to use THC for various reasons, but I’m concerned that there really seems to be little evidence on its long term cognitive effects when used in doses great enough to cause the psychoactive effects. I suspect in a few years time, there will be a lot of negative evidence showing it significantly increases dementia risks - probably especially in APOE4s - through mitochondrial dysfunction and increasing leaky blood brain barrier.

Obviously, there are many people here who know and understand the underlying processes much better than me. I couldn’t find a proper general discussion about this on the forum and felt uncomfortable with the apparent bias in the wiki. I’m trying to stop taking THC myself, and (not from a position of high knowledge) would advise others to limit dosages to less than 5mg per day (a dosage which would hardly produce psychoactive effects).

I’m really curious to know what folk here who actually have advanced biochemistry/medical training think.

Thanks
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Chris Palmer, THC and mitochondrial dysfunction

Post by TheresaB »

BenF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:03 am In this forum’s wiki, the evidence is all very positive on THC.
I assume you’re referring to the wiki on Cannabinoids, Cannabidiol (CBD), THC, HEMP, Marijuana, Cannabis

THC is just one cannabinoid discussed in that wiki article and it cites that because of it’s legal status, research into marijuana (THC) for medical application has been restricted, therefore knowledge is restricted. It also cautions that quality is an issue for the marijuana that is being sold legally in certain states, that many are sold with harmful chemicals and toxins using many modern day farming methods which includes growing plants in soils devoid of nutrient content and adding chemicals for rapid growth, pest resistance, and ease of harvest.

Also, did you visit the wiki article Mitochondria? In it there’s this section:
Cigarette smoke, marijuana smoke, and second hand smoke
Smoking cigarettes even being in the presence of smoke causes oxidative stress and increases free radicals, reference: Smoking and oxidative stress
This also applies to smoking marijuana. Reference: Oxidative Stress Produced by Marijuana Smoke An Adverse Effect Enhanced by Cannabinoids and Oxidative stress produced by marijuana smoke
Here are a few more references that might be of interest to you:

Novel Study of High-Potency Cannabis Shows Some Memory Effects

Cannabinoids cause changes in the brain that leads to deficiencies in social interaction
While the title cites cannabinoids, the subject centers around THC and its effects on astrocytes.

How does cannabis use affect brain health? Caution advised, more research needed, experts say
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BenF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BenF »

Thank you Theresa,

Those look like excellent links. Not sure if I’ve read them before, but will look through them now and see what I think. At first look, they seem to be what I’m looking for.

No offence meant at the wiki at all. Very grateful for the work that’s gone into it. I still certainly raise my eye brows at the articles cited and those a search on google scholar produces. But there are plenty here who know the literature better than me.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

One more thing from the Cannabinoids wiki, under the subheading Cannabinoids and Sleep is a paragraph that implies that the THC may lead to leaky brain, which in turn leads to neuroinflammation.
THC can help but might have negative effects in the long run. Of the two strains of marijuana that contain THC: indica and sativa, the indica strain produces a greater sedative effect because it contains higher levels of a terpene called “myrcene.” Myrcene influences the permeability of cell membranes, and helps THC cross the blood-brain barrier more easily.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BenF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BenF »

Thanks. However, this is kind of what I mean. The leaky brain and inflammation bit needs to be added!
TheresaB wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:33 am One more thing from the Cannabinoids wiki, under the subheading Cannabinoids and Sleep is a paragraph that implies that the THC may lead to leaky brain, which in turn leads to neuroinflammation.
THC can help but might have negative effects in the long run. Of the two strains of marijuana that contain THC: indica and sativa, the indica strain produces a greater sedative effect because it contains higher levels of a terpene called “myrcene.” Myrcene influences the permeability of cell membranes, and helps THC cross the blood-brain barrier more easily.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

BenF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:00 am The leaky brain and inflammation bit needs to be added!
There's a discussion of leaky brain in the ApoE4.info wiki article: Gut-Brain Connection: Leaky Gut/Leaky Brain, Microbiome (gut bugs)

And a discussion on inflammation in the ApoE4.info wiki article: Inflammation & LPS

Plus it is a wiki, you can add the papers you've found and add appropriately.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BenF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BenF »

🙏 to all the volunteers. I may try and do that some time. Didn’t want to step on any toes. All the best
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

There's the Cannabinoids and Inflammation subheading in the Cannabinoids et al wiki. If you have papers on THC and inflammation that's where it should go. Right now this section only offers papers on CBD as a possible inflammation attenuator.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

In this forum’s wiki, the evidence is all very positive on THC. My own look through google scholar shows not much on this particular topic, and small but permanent negative effects on memory from long term usage. A lot of people here seem to use THC for various reasons, but I’m concerned that there really seems to be little evidence on its long term cognitive effects when used in doses great enough to cause the psychoactive effects. I suspect in a few years time, there will be a lot of negative evidence showing it significantly increases dementia risks - probably especially in APOE4s - through mitochondrial dysfunction and increasing leaky blood brain barrier.
BenF, you bring up some great points. We welcome you to add to the wiki making it even stronger.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

BenF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:03 am I was seeking some clarification after reading Chris Palmer’s book Brain Energy...
Hi BenF,

You might google Mikhail Kogan MD who is an integrative medicine doctor at George Washington University Center for Integrative Medicine. He is familiar with Dr. Bredesen's work (may even be collaborating in some of the research as a participating clinic???), and he has a special focus on CBD etc. There are a number of videos online and he has published a book. I don't know whether his information is better than others' out there, but I just thought I'd mention him.

This particular one is focused on women's issues, but it's also one of the more recent ones so some of the information may be more current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhLE1W6Iks
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.