Experiences with a low saturated fat diet?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Experiences with a low saturated fat diet?

Post by SarahB »

Some background:

After much thought, I've decided to run with a low fat, gluten free, no processed sugar, whole grain, low histamine "vaguely Mediterranean" style diet. My lipids and cholesterol run low, and were only elevated during my one ill-fated experiment with traditional keto, but the scientific evidence for APOE4's abnormal fat processing seems reasonable to me. And I'd like to keep my lipoprotein-associated amyloid-β (Aβ) as low as possible.

My homozygous AOC/DAO mutations give me a narrow band of foods to choose from (can't do citrus, soy and other legumes, nightshades, fermented products, for instance). But I think I can manage, and this diet will mesh well with my husband's cardiovascular regime. I have a homozygous sucrase deficiency, so may be somewhat protected from sugar related insulin spikes, and have never had an elevated Hb1c or any other signs of type II diabetes, so I'm going to continue to eat fruit and root vegetables for the color and variety they provide. I will probably need to consume some amount of nuts, fish, and low/non fat dairy and meat, as my sources of protein are quite limited.

So my questions are: has anybody tried something similar? What low level of saturated fat did you allow? What was your experience? Any insights deeply appreciated.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Experiences with a low saturated fat diet?

Post by Plumster »

SarahB wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:00 pm Some background:

After much thought, I've decided to run with a low fat, gluten free, no processed sugar, whole grain, low histamine "vaguely Mediterranean" style diet. My lipids and cholesterol run low, and were only elevated during my one ill-fated experiment with traditional keto, but the scientific evidence for APOE4's abnormal fat processing seems reasonable to me. And I'd like to keep my lipoprotein-associated amyloid-β (Aβ) as low as possible.

My homozygous AOC/DAO mutations give me a narrow band of foods to choose from (can't do citrus, soy and other legumes, nightshades, fermented products, for instance). But I think I can manage, and this diet will mesh well with my husband's cardiovascular regime. I have a homozygous sucrase deficiency, so may be somewhat protected from sugar related insulin spikes, and have never had an elevated Hb1c or any other signs of type II diabetes, so I'm going to continue to eat fruit and root vegetables for the color and variety they provide. I will probably need to consume some amount of nuts, fish, and low/non fat dairy and meat, as my sources of protein are quite limited.

So my questions are: has anybody tried something similar? What low level of saturated fat did you allow? What was your experience? Any insights deeply appreciated.
How is your diet going, SarahB? Yes, I have been eating a very low saturated fat diet for at least a year and my experience is positive. My LDL and ApoB were greatly reduced. At my strictest, I kept saturated fat at 3 g. It's probably a little higher now as I am not as strict. I recommend Dean Ornish and Anne Ornish's book Undo It! for its section on foods. They are proponents of a low fat diet.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Experiences with a low saturated fat diet?

Post by SarahB »

Hi Plumster - Sounds like we are taking a similar approach. My cholesterol and lipids continue to be quite low while following a low fat Mediterranean style diet with my husband who has moderate cardiovascular disease per a Dr. Brennen (?) out of UCSF. I believe his approach is similar to the Ornishs but will check into their book. I've never had ApoB tested and will have to look into it. I'm also supplementing to reduce inflammation and boost various vitamins, am considering getting the shingles vaccine early, and am taking medication on and off to control fall-out from my histamine intolerance. Both my husband and I also supplement to reduce homocysteine as we both have MTHR defects. So a multi-pronged approach. Fingers crossed for all of us. S