What’s your Omega-3 dose?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jgreg80
Contributor
Contributor

What’s your Omega-3 dose?

Post by Jgreg80 »

I’m interested in seeing what everyone’s daily supplemental Omega-3 dose is (EPA and DHA). And if you happen to know your Omega-3 Index?

I’m currently taking 3g EPA + 1g DHA.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: What’s your Omega-3 dose?

Post by NF52 »

Jgreg80 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:05 pm I’m interested in seeing what everyone’s daily supplemental Omega-3 dose is (EPA and DHA). And if you happen to know your Omega-3 Index?

I’m currently taking 3g EPA + 1g DHA.
Looks like people have been busy avoiding smoky air this week! I'll reply and hope some others want to also.

I take .92 g of EPA and 1.12 g of DHA every day, so one-third of your EPA and almost the same DHA as you. .

Here's a source I used to consider (and then revise down) what I take. The whole article seemed balanced and useful; one of the authors, Dr. Richard Isaacson, was the long-time director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill-Cornell Medicine at NYU.
6.4.1. DHA

As mentioned above, DHA supplementation may be desirable in ApoE4 carriers to ensure an adequate dose. Krill oil and triglyceride-DHA may be a potential consideration although further studies are warranted. Krill oil is rich in phosphatidylcholine-conjugated DHA and may have favored access to the brain via the MSFD2A transporter [131]. Triglyceride-DHA is the most bioavailable and most effective at increasing serum DHA concentrations [132]. Given the likely increased DHA needs of ApoE4 carriers, 2 g/day may be considered a minimum dose.
Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Jgreg80 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:05 pm I’m interested in seeing what everyone’s daily supplemental Omega-3 dose is (EPA and DHA). And if you happen to know your Omega-3 Index?
My doctor advised me to take an Omega-3 supplement such that the DHA component adds up to (at least) 1000 mg.

I’m not stating how much I take because it seems to be individualistic and the important number is the result, not the intake. My husband’s dose is different than mine to acheive the same results.

I have had my Omega-3 Index taken. My doctor uses a Red Blood Cell count (RBC) which is a two or so month average not serum which is basically a one-point-in-time snapshot. My doc thinks a serum test is worthless. My doc (and Dr Bredesen) also recommends an index of over 10 for ApoE4s. I have been able to achieve that with diet and supplementation.

I take a Krill Oil supplement because it provides the DHA in phospholipid form since APOE4 carriers appear to have impaired brain transport of free DHA per Dr Rhonda Patrick’s paper, Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease (Rhonda Patrick, 5 Oct 2018).

Dr Bredesen advises an Omega-6 to Omega -3 ratio from 1:1 to 4:1, which I am also able to achieve.

One caution about supplementation is for 4/4 males and family history of stroke. There's a link between ApoE4 and CAA (Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy) primarily in males.

If really interested in this subject, there is the ApoE4.info wiki Fats, Omega -3(ω-3) & -6(ω-6), DHA and More which includes lots of information supported by references on why Omega-3s are important for ApoE4s and strategies for increasing Omega-3s and balancing the Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I don't actually know how much I'm taking, but I would guess it's about 2g DHA daily and 250 mg EPA. I also eat foods with ALA (chia seeds, walnuts, flax seeds). My Omega 3 Total Index (ratio) is 10.8; my DHA % 7.1
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheresaB wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:18 pmI take a Krill Oil supplement because it provides the DHA in phospholipid form since APOE4 carriers appear to have impaired brain transport of free DHA per Dr Rhonda Patrick’s paper, Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer’s disease (Rhonda Patrick, 5 Oct 2018).
Hi Theresa!

I'm curious what krill supplement are you taking and how much? I've been looking into this a minute here and a minute there, and the the ones I've seen seem to have very low doese of DHA. For example NOW Krill 1000 that Rhonda used to take only has 60 mg per 1" soft gel ( probably hard for me to swallow). I'd have to take more than 10 a day. Is Krill so much better absorbed into the brain specifically that we don't need as much DHA from krill pills? I'm guessing that hasn't been studied.

If I recall correctly, DHA from food is already in phospholipid form. I eat low mercury, high omega fish once a day (although much of it is canned which isn't ideal), so I'm only looking to top that off, but that still probably points to me needing about 1000 mg supplemental DHA/day. It's been a long while since I ran an omega lab, but it was always good.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
cagambler
New User
New User

Post by cagambler »

I'm getting ready to take supplements that will provide me with 1.8g of DHA per day. Then I read that high dosage (greater than 1g) exposes me to an AFIB risk. What is the preferred choice? Isaacson recommendation of high DHA and accept the AFIB risk? Or 1g DHA and less Alzheimers protection?
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NataliaReyn »

cagambler wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 am I'm getting ready to take supplements that will provide me with 1.8g of DHA per day. Then I read that high dosage (greater than 1g) exposes me to an AFIB risk. What is the preferred choice? Isaacson recommendation of high DHA and accept the AFIB risk? Or 1g DHA and less Alzheimers protection?
Hello, cagambler!

Welcome to our forums and thank you for joining us!

As a Support Team Intern, if you would like to explore the site in more detail, I can share several tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Lastly, while I cannot answer your question about the dosage that may be right for you, you may find this article on Wiki helpful Fats, Omega -3(ω-3) & -6(ω-6), DHA and More . Also, you may already be familiar with Omega-3 index test, but this is a test you can do to make sure you know your levels before you take supplements. I personally eat a lot of fish already so do not supplement daily.

Thank you again for being here and hopefully you will find our site helpful!

Warmly,
Natalia
Last edited by NataliaReyn on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

I take about 900 mg each of DHA and EPA, my Omega-3 index is 8.24%.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

circular wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:03 am I'm curious what krill supplement are you taking and how much? I've been looking into this a minute here and a minute there, and the the ones I've seen seem to have very low doese of DHA. For example NOW Krill 1000 that Rhonda used to take only has 60 mg per 1" soft gel ( probably hard for me to swallow). I'd have to take more than 10 a day. Is Krill so much better absorbed into the brain specifically that we don't need as much DHA from krill pills? I'm guessing that hasn't been studied.

If I recall correctly, DHA from food is already in phospholipid form. I eat low mercury, high omega fish once a day (although much of it is canned which isn't ideal), so I'm only looking to top that off, but that still probably points to me needing about 1000 mg supplemental DHA/day. It's been a long while since I ran an omega lab, but it was always good.
Years ago, my doctor recommended the New Rhythm brand of krill oil. Then it became hard to get, they don't seem to make it anymore. Don't know why, not a COVID thing, it disappeared before the pandemic. I did a cursory investigation and settled on what seemed to be a good brand at the time. But your question had me look into other brands and I think I'm going to switch to the Approved Science, more DHA and cheaper per unit than what I'm currently taking.

Phospolipid DHA is found in fish (not fish oil supplements or algal oil) and I too eat fish or shell fish (both wild caught, fresh frozen) every day. For good measure, I also take a fish oil supplement with lots of DHA figuring our uptake may be impaired, but some of it is probably getting through. Plus I have factor V leiden, so I'm hoping the fish oil helps keep nasty blood clots away.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

cagambler wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 am I'm getting ready to take supplements that will provide me with 1.8g of DHA per day. Then I read that high dosage (greater than 1g) exposes me to an AFIB risk. What is the preferred choice? Isaacson recommendation of high DHA and accept the AFIB risk? Or 1g DHA and less Alzheimers protection?
I'm a 3/4 with afib. I'd take the afib risk. There are fixes for afib (travel to go to the very best ablation EP like Andrea Natale in Austin (which I've not yet needed to do as my control is so excellent). In my case, I've had afib for 19 years. Had a 2.5 month episode within the first 4 months. After EP suggest I live with it, I got him to agree to the remission plan I created. He agreed and I've been following it since with excellent success (though not 100% perfect). When I was first diagnosed, I was a low fat vegan (or WFPB in today's jargon). Consequently, when I was first tested for omega 3 index in 2015 by Dr. Gundry, it was very low. I've subsequently raised it to between 12 and 19, depending on different test days. Gundry wants 4's between 10-12. This increase in consumption has not been detrimental to my afib control (i.e. a very low afib burden or time in afib, which averages around 0.02%).
Tincup
E3,E4