Fasting and insulin resistance

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Fasting and insulin resistance

Post by Jan18 »

I just had labs done with Mark Hyman's Function Health program.

I've gotten some of the results back at Quest, but I'm still awaiting the official report, which will take a few more weeks.

I was shocked to find my insulin at 15 when I regularly fast a minimum of 16 hours and some days up to 22. I ate especially healthy the week before as they suggest, and my fasting was 17 hours before the blood draw.

Concerned about this, I tried to do some research and this information popped up.

https://jornal.usp.br/wp-content/upload ... _final.pdf

Can anyone speak to this or offer a suggestion of why my insulin would be so high when I've been fasting and eating healthy?

They do require you stop all supplements 72 hours before the tests and that concerned me because I've never had to stop my supplements throughout these years with my functional medicine doctor's tests. Could that have affected the results? I take Mitacore multi vitamin, Methyl protect, Vitamin D3 plus K2, Qunol Ubiquinol CoQ10, Nordic Naturals DHA (higher DHA than EPA), Pure magnesium glycinate, and a bit of Metagenics Zinc AG.

My last insulin labs from December '22 were 6.3 and from April '21 4.5! And to top it off, the weeks before my December '22 labs I had been eating pretty badly with lots of ice cream and bad stuff, yet my insulin was still 6.3!!!!

I'm concerned that perhaps I've done some damage as the attached article from the European endocrinology report suggests.

My A1C is still 5.1.

I just don't understand this new insulin level of 15.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fasting and insulin resistance

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

That’s incredibly frustrating. I would go through Ulta Labs and retest. I just screwed up my FI too. I put collagen in my coffee and need to retest.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 pm That’s incredibly frustrating. I would go through Ulta Labs and retest. I just screwed up my FI too. I put collagen in my coffee and need to retest.
Oh bummer about you having to retest. :(

But I only had water (40 ounces!) before my labs, no coffee, no food. I guess I will retest the insulin. I'm perplexed and a bit discouraged over it. I mean WT!?
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Jan18 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:18 am I just had labs done with Mark Hyman's Function Health program.

I've gotten some of the results back at Quest, but I'm still awaiting the official report, which will take a few more weeks.

I was shocked to find my insulin at 15 when I regularly fast a minimum of 16 hours and some days up to 22. I ate especially healthy the week before as they suggest, and my fasting was 17 hours before the blood draw.

Concerned about this, I tried to do some research and this information popped up.

https://jornal.usp.br/wp-content/upload ... _final.pdf

Can anyone speak to this or offer a suggestion of why my insulin would be so high when I've been fasting and eating healthy?

They do require you stop all supplements 72 hours before the tests and that concerned me because I've never had to stop my supplements throughout these years with my functional medicine doctor's tests. Could that have affected the results? I take Mitacore multi vitamin, Methyl protect, Vitamin D3 plus K2, Qunol Ubiquinol CoQ10, Nordic Naturals DHA (higher DHA than EPA), Pure magnesium glycinate, and a bit of Metagenics Zinc AG.

My last insulin labs from December '22 were 6.3 and from April '21 4.5! And to top it off, the weeks before my December '22 labs I had been eating pretty badly with lots of ice cream and bad stuff, yet my insulin was still 6.3!!!!

I'm concerned that perhaps I've done some damage as the attached article from the European endocrinology report suggests.

My A1C is still 5.1.

I just don't understand this new insulin level of 15.
Hi Jan18,
Valter Longo talks about this phenomenon. Are you fasting in the mornings? He recommends that you eat breakfast and fast in the evenings instead. Or, skip lunch. The good thing is that your lab result will return to normal when you begin eating breakfast, according to Longo.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Plumster wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:59 pm

Hi Jan18,
Valter Longo talks about this phenomenon. Are you fasting in the mornings? He recommends that you eat breakfast and fast in the evenings instead. Or, skip lunch. The good thing is that your lab result will return to normal when you begin eating breakfast, according to Longo.
Hi Plumster,
Thanks for the info. I usually eat my first meal about 11-12 noon on my 16-18 hour fasting days, finishing about 5- 6PM and if I fast longer, 20-22 hours, I just eat dinner. I've not tried just eating breakfast for a 22 hour fast, as I'm afraid I'd get ravenous by night and find it hard to get to sleep or hunger during the night would wake me up. I have had hunger wake me up sometimes. (I only eat between 1200-1400 calories, because I'm trying to lose weight.) Cubs win!!!! (Oops, sorry. You know what I'm doing....)

So by "begin eating breakfast", what time do you mean? And does Longo say that should be your only meal?

Thanks!
Jan 18
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Jan18 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:58 pm
Plumster wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:59 pm

Hi Jan18,
Hi Plumster,
Thanks for the info. I usually eat my first meal about 11-12 noon on my 16-18 hour fasting days, finishing about 5- 6PM and if I fast longer, 20-22 hours, I just eat dinner. I've not tried just eating breakfast for a 22 hour fast, as I'm afraid I'd get ravenous by night and find it hard to get to sleep or hunger during the night would wake me up. I have had hunger wake me up sometimes. (I only eat between 1200-1400 calories, because I'm trying to lose weight.) Cubs win!!!! (Oops, sorry. You know what I'm doing....)

So by "begin eating breakfast", what time do you mean? And does Longo say that should be your only meal?

Thanks!
Jan 18
I'll have breakfast around 8 or 7 a.m. I aim to have dinner around 5 p.m. and don't eat anything after 7 p.m. I think Longo doesn't think that one meal a day is good, necessarily. I believe he's for two meals a day for most people. Here's a video interview from a year ago. I am sure there are better sources out there, but that was what I could find quickly.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR