Calcium

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Calcium

Post by Jan18 »

I am having the hardest time of getting the standard 1200 mg of calcium recommended for those of us over 60 years old on 1300 calories (for weight loss) without supplements (cardiologist advises against supplements) and without dairy!!!! And I am in osteoporosis now, so I'm really in need of a solution.

How are you doing it???? I still don't have a Bredesen-trained practitioner in my area and I need answers!

Thanks!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Calcium

Post by Plumster »

Jan18 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am I am having the hardest time of getting the standard 1200 mg of calcium recommended for those of us over 60 years old on 1300 calories (for weight loss) without supplements (cardiologist advises against supplements) and without dairy!!!! And I am in osteoporosis now, so I'm really in need of a solution.

How are you doing it???? I still don't have a Bredesen-trained practitioner in my area and I need answers!

Thanks!
Hi Jan18: Your body will only absorb the calcium you need when the calcium is derived from your diet.
Kukicha tea contains six times more calcium than cow's milk, but you will absorb only what your body needs. The problem is calcium as a supplement as it will rush your system uncontrolled. As a Japanese green tea, it's not as a high in lead as other teas. But I always drink tea on an empty stomach to prevent the absorption of lead, which happens with fat + lead.

I spent some time investigating calcium as a supplement versus food a while back and came to the cautious conclusion that even plant milks with added calcium will be absorbed as a whole food.
Last edited by Plumster on Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I limit my intake of Ca++ from food to 400-500 mg/day (no supplements, no dairy). Empirically for me, anything more is bad for my heart's electrical system (i.e. makes afib more likely to occur).
Tincup
E3,E4
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Jan18 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am I am having the hardest time of getting the standard 1200 mg of calcium recommended for those of us over 60 years old on 1300 calories (for weight loss) without supplements (cardiologist advises against supplements) and without dairy!!!! And I am in osteoporosis now, so I'm really in need of a solution.

Thanks!
If you can get Kirkland Signature's Almond non-dairy beverage, it has 600 mg calcium per cup, and only 30 calories. Have some vitamin C rich fruit/vegetable with it for better absorption. Also, calcium from kale and similar cruciferus greens is supposed to be highly absorbable. My experience is that once I started drinking the Kirkland's almond drink, within days the ache in my ankles when I walked fast went away.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Quantifier wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:30 pm
If you can get Kirkland Signature's Almond non-dairy beverage, it has 600 mg calcium per cup, and only 30 calories. Have some vitamin C rich fruit/vegetable with it for better absorption. Also, calcium from kale and similar cruciferus greens is supposed to be highly absorbable. My experience is that once I started drinking the Kirkland's almond drink, within days the ache in my ankles when I walked fast went away.
Thanks for taking time to answer with suggestions. I appreciate it!

I've tried almond milk and it hurts my stomach. Labs show I don't have an almond "allergy" but it hurts my stomach.

I do have my calcium with vit. C rich foods and I eat kale and lots of cruciferous vegetables (my favorites!) but I still cannot reach 1200 mg of calcium and still include other foods containing nutrients I need all within 1200-1300 calories. I probably could if I stuffed myself quantity-wise, but I just cannot eat that huge of quantities of food in 1-2 meals a day, which I alternate for my fasting protocol.

I've lost a considerable amount of weight since I retired 17 years ago and have kept it off, but still have about 25 pounds to lose to get into "normal" weight range for my height. 1200-1300 calories along with my limited walking and pool cardio and strength-training is enough to lose a lb. a week. I track every morsel on cronometer.com to see that I get the needed nutrients, macros, etc. but it is proving impossible to get 1200 mg of calcium without dairy.

It's such a frustration. And since weight is a huge AD risk factor, I need to lose these last pounds.

But thank you, anyway, Quantifier!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:05 pm I limit my intake of Ca++ from food to 400-500 mg/day (no supplements, no dairy). Empirically for me, anything more is bad for my heart's electrical system (i.e. makes afib more likely to occur).
Hi, Tincup! That's interesting about the Afib and calcium, even through food. I don't have any heart issues and I've read that only for those who have had heart attacks or have heart disease do doctors warn not to take calcium supplements. The reason I'm told is because that calcium can deposit in arteries.

But my cardiologist said not to take supplements even without heart issues.

When I plug in foods with calcium -- other than dairy -- in a "mock up" day's diet, it would take large quantities of calcium-rich foods in amounts I couldn't get down in the 1-2 meals a day that I'm eating to fit with my fasting program to drive down insulin and make ketones to lose weight. I've lost a considerable amount and kept it off since I retired 17 years ago, but still need to lose 25 more to be in "normal" weight. And that is my most pressing risk factor right now.

I've bitten the bullet and bought canned sardines and canned pink salmon with bones, because if I ate those I think it would be doable. But to date, I haven't had the guts to open them and eat them. Just thinking about sardines makes me gag. But I keep thinking they can't be that bad if entire countries eat them, right? I'm just really adverse to the idea....

It makes me wonder where these recommended daily amounts of calcium come from and if they are really necessary in those amounts for bone health.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 pm I've bitten the bullet and bought canned sardines and canned pink salmon with bones, because if I ate those I think it would be doable. But to date, I haven't had the guts to open them and eat them. Just thinking about sardines makes me gag. But I keep thinking they can't be that bad if entire countries eat them, right? I'm just really adverse to the idea....

It makes me wonder where these recommended daily amounts of calcium come from and if they are really necessary in those amounts for bone health.
I do sometimes eat canned anchovies.

In the late 90's, I had two calcium oxalate kidney stones. I spent a bunch of time in the local medical school library (internet searching wasn't as robust then) reading up on calcium intake regarding stones & also osteoporosis. My recollection was that there were many locations where osteoporosis was uncommon in women and intake was 300-400 mg/day. This didn't say what the driver was, but indicated that just loading up with calcium wasn't necessarily they only answer (& I'm not sure how well that works here, anyway.)

My first wife is 70 and she's been on bioidentical HRT for 30+ years as she went into menopause at age 38. She told me in the last few years she's increased bone mineral density (BMD), but I've not asked everything she does (I know osteoporosis meds are not part of the equation), but I know she consumes a good whole foods diet. She is tall (5'9"), thin (BMI 18-19) and caucasian. All risks for osteoporosis.

I last had a DEXA scan five years ago at age 63. My t score was 0.0, meaning my BMD was average for a 30 year old male (z score is the statistic for people your age). I'm thinking that other minerals like boron, manganese & magnesium may play a role. As well, load bearing exercise. I do supplement boron, as 1/4 t borax/day (the cleaning supply stuff) as well as a very high intake of magnesium (which is part of my afib remission plan - like 10x the RDA). Weight bearing exercise also seems to play a role. In John Jaquish's book, he cites research that you need a load of at least 4.2x your weight to stimulate bone growth. He developed machines that will apply this safely to osteoporotic people. These are located in Osteostrong facilities. They have an iOS app, Fractureproof that will, among other things measure your load forces if you secure your phone to your hip, using the phone's accelerometer. I don't know if many of their clients do this, but I use my phone's holster, attach it to a weight lifting belt on my hip and then come down very hard on one leg & I see if I've exceeded 4.2x my weight (4.2 x 170#'s = 714#'s). I usually get it into the mid 800#'s, then switch legs (you do have to come down very hard). I do this about once a week. My understanding is you don't need repetition and it can be done relatively infrequently. If you have low BMD, I don't suggest this, the Osteostrong approach is much safer. Heavy weight training is also supposed to be beneficial. I do a lot of 90 second isometrics to failure with may body parts.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:39 pm My recollection was that there were many locations where osteoporosis was uncommon in women and intake was 300-400 mg/day. This didn't say what the driver was, but indicated that just loading up with calcium wasn't necessarily they only answer (& I'm not sure how well that works here, anyway.)
You are right about calcium not being the only player with bone mineral density. It is an interplay of different minerals. And I also read back in the '90s reports that countries who had the least osteoporosis were those that didn't consume dairy. So it certainly seems that dairy calcium in particular is not necessary. If memory serves, many of those countries ate soy products.

I've read you talk about this particular stomping for weight bearing increases to bone mineral before. For me, it would be precluded because of knee replacements. Any kind of high impact exercise with new replacement is frowned upon.