High energy expenditure and APOE 4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High energy expenditure and APOE 4

Post by JD2020 »

KathleenC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:09 am My problem with weight is the opposite. I am 5'6" and have weighed around 123 pounds since college (I'm 59). I lost 5 pounds during a bout of food poisoning while traveling in February, dropping me down to 118. I didn't really think it was a big deal, assuming the weight would return to my setpoint like it always has in the past, but it didn't. Then, I found about my APOE4 status in June and I lost a few more pounds when I changed my diet. I am eating over 150% of my target calories as measured by Cronometer and I simply can't gain any weight. My BMI is 18.7. My carbs right now are at around 50 grams per day and my protein grams are at around 90. I am guzzling high Polyphenol olive oil, eating large amounts of nuts and healthy seeds, etc, with no luck in the weight gain category. I eat in an 8 hour window. I'm leaving for a 3 week trip to overseas today and I know I won't be able to maintain the target diet and exercise. I just hope I don't lose any more weight.
Hi Kathleen,

I don't have answers. I am posting to let you know that you are not alone....the weight loss, our size, our age, guzzling olive oil, eating more calories than Cronometer says is required. It was hard regaining my weight, and I ate stuff outside of the program guidelines to do it. Now I do a long fast only 2 days per week. Anything else is simply not sustainable. I hope you'll post back if you find the solution. Have a wonderful trip.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

JD2020 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:34 am
KathleenC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:09 am My problem with weight is the opposite. I am 5'6" and have weighed around 123 pounds since college (I'm 59). I lost 5 pounds during a bout of food poisoning while traveling in February, dropping me down to 118. I didn't really think it was a big deal, assuming the weight would return to my setpoint like it always has in the past, but it didn't. Then, I found about my APOE4 status in June and I lost a few more pounds when I changed my diet. I am eating over 150% of my target calories as measured by Cronometer and I simply can't gain any weight. My BMI is 18.7. My carbs right now are at around 50 grams per day and my protein grams are at around 90. I am guzzling high Polyphenol olive oil, eating large amounts of nuts and healthy seeds, etc, with no luck in the weight gain category. I eat in an 8 hour window. I'm leaving for a 3 week trip to overseas today and I know I won't be able to maintain the target diet and exercise. I just hope I don't lose any more weight.
Hi Kathleen,

I don't have answers. I am posting to let you know that you are not alone....the weight loss, our size, our age, guzzling olive oil, eating more calories than Cronometer says is required. It was hard regaining my weight, and I ate stuff outside of the program guidelines to do it. Now I do a long fast only 2 days per week. Anything else is simply not sustainable. I hope you'll post back if you find the solution. Have a wonderful trip.
Agree that maybe cutting back on the fasting temporarily might be good in your case? I have read that anyone underweight should eat three meals a day. I don't know the science behind it.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I'm going to switch to a 12 hour eating window to fit in more meals and fatten up. I won't be able to exercise very much on my trip so hopefully that will also provide an opportunity to gain weight. I'm traveling with 3 pounds of nuts, cans of mackeral, and packets of olive oil.
From a fellow, struggling to put on weight woman, I also add my vote for a longer eating window, which might help you eat more food total.

And personally, I find it hard to increase weight just by increasing fat. It doesn't work for me. You might try adding more complex carbs to your diet, assuming it doesn't mess with your blood glucose and insulin results.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!